Leica CL reliability?

m m

Would you consider the Leica CL to be a reliable camera? Suitable for

extended traveling? I know it is an older camera, and older cameras

do need servicing now and again, but it seems that I read a

disporportional amount about CL meter and shutter repairs. So that

said, would you consider a CL a good choice of camera to use in

conjunction with a Spotmatic for extended travelling, where the CL

may at times be the only camera at hand for a few days at a time?

How about this: Would you say the CL's reliability is closer to a

Leica M6, a Canonet QL17, or a Kiev 35!

I had heard a lot about the CL meter problems too (but never about the shutter). But while shopping around for a CL, none of the 7-8 cameras I looked at had any apparent problem with the meter, nor indeed the user one I finally ended up getting. The key is whether the machine has been CLA'ed recently, with appropriate meter maintenance. The one I have is a delight. Defintely an M camera feel, but not as smooth as an M2/3/4/5/6/7, but much more solid than a Canonet. I don't know about Kievs. I recall some of the early 60s models were very well made.

Marcus:

You might have read the profile of the CL on:

http://www.cameraquest.com/classics.htm

I bought a CL recently, no trouble with the meter yet. However, as it has a needle on a galvanometer, it may be a weak point in the Design.

So far, I think the M5 had the same system and no one is constantly repeating the M5 is not reliable (it was not prefered though).

Cheers.

Xavier.

So how much does the typical meter fix run? I'd like to get into one of these, fully funtional, for under $600. Otherwise I don't think I could justify the price. If I can't I'll probably just save my pennies and look out for a bargain priced M6.

After owning a CL for 4 or 5 years, and knowing three other owners, none who've had meter problems, I'd agree with many that if the cameras has survived this long, it's probably going to be okay. The meter problems tended to show up fairly quickly in a cameras 'career', and by now has either been fixed or isn't going to fail. I did check with Kindermann Canada (Gerry Smith, one of the best service techs around if you've read this forum long) and at the time (about 4 years ago) a meter fix would have been about $50 on top of a CLA. Pretty reasonable I thought, but in the 700 or 800 rolls I put through the camera it never failed. I know the current owner and it's going strong. I think they are great little cameras and the only reason I got rid of it was its possible inacccuracy focusing F1.4 lenses (due to the shorter rangefinder). I feel I boo-boo'd getting rid of it.

I had mine fixed by Sherry Krauter, and she said I was lucky that the meter cell wasn't bad. She said that many fail when the meter cells die and have to be replaced. I don't remember her mentioning any problems about the meter's swinging arm mechanism itself. Mine needed a new shutter drum also, as the old one was cracked. It also had its hot shoe ripped off by a big flash, so it was a $200 repair and CLA bill for a $200 camera.

You should be able to find one for $4-500 in user shape. They seem to come up often with the 40 Summicron (or the Rokkor, which is the same lens at 1/2 the price) for $5-800. If you can find the Minolta version with the Rokkor, that's the most cost-effective model.

I'd rate the CL's reliability between the Leica and Canonet. But I'd be wary to have it as my ONLY camera on an extended trip. A built-like-a-tank Spotmatic that has had a CLA would be a good backup.

Don't forget to consider a Voigtlander Bessa R2, which isn't much more than a CL at $550, and should be more reliable.

I had a CL. The meter worked, but was flaky -- sometimes it wouldn't

work, but turning it on and off would let it work -- perhaps there was

a loose contact (I never tried to get it fixed).

I did not have mechanical problems except for one. The take up spool

has plastic tines where you insert the film leader. I used to always

fold the film around to make sure it caught, but one day while

rewinding, I broke off one of the plastic tines on the take up spool

(I was able to fix it). Thus, be careful with that and the camera is

fine.

Together with a small lens like the 40 Rokkor or 35 summicron

non-aspheric, you have a great small package -- much lighter and

smaller than an m6.

<<would you consider a CL a good choice of camera to use in conjunction with a Spotmatic for extended travelling, where the CL may at times be the only camera at hand for a few days at a time?

How about this: Would you say the CL's reliability is closer to a Leica M6, a Canonet QL17, or a Kiev 35!>>

Marcus: if you are unafraid to do extended travelling with a Pentax Spotmatic or a Canonet QL17, to say nothing of a Kiev-anything, I doubt that you would be taking any greater risk with a CL. It is impossible to rate the CL's generally in terms of reliability because of the wide variation in condition and history of these long-discontinued second-hand cameras. IMO the suggestion of the Bessa R2 was the best one. The generic Cosina chassis is proven reliable, and it's a new Japanese-made camera, for basically the same money as the decades-old Japanese-made CL. In fact, I would make the Bessa your #1 camera, with those others tossed in your luggage as backups.

Jay: I was only chidding about the Kiev 35 ;) As for the Spotmatic, IMHO they're right up there with Leica M's and Nikon F2 in terms of reliability. And the Canonet's are actually pretty good. I spent 10 weeks with just a QL17 and a Minox 35. I should have left the Minox at home(six blank rolls of film! It died, but still made all the right noises!), but the QL17 perfomed admirably, with the main weakness being the galvanometer(10 weeks travelling; I come home and drop it at a party-dead meter-drinking and cameras are not a good combination).

As for buying a Bessa R2...I don't know... I love the finder, but they're kinda loud, and what's the resale going to be like after a few years? And I'm reminded that the chassis is based on an entry level 3rd party Nikon body. And how about those misaligned rangefinders? Can they be that reliable?

Well, I've looked over two different CL's, that were up for sale at my Leica dealer's. One was a couple years ago, and the other a few months ago. hey both had intermittent, unreliable meters and were sent to Focal Point after I called attention to their problems. Based on what I've seen, I'd say to be prepared for meter problems if you buy a CL.

Bob Fleischman

The camera went through a number of internal changes through its short life. This cured most of the early shutter reliability problems and I would think that these early models have now been fixed anyways so if the shutter is working one is as good as another. The meter does suffer from reliability problems in that the CDS meter wears out. Its just age not a design fault. The swing arm design generally stays functioning well after the cell dies. Strangely I find the Leitz Minolta models seem to have less meter failures but this could be that alot of them were made after the discontinuance of the Leica CL and have later designed cells. I use CL/CLE's for their compact design and have taken them into harsh conditions with no problems. I do find that with the dark cloud hanging over the CL's meter that I tend to treat it like a meterless M and carry a Voigtlander VC meter with me at all times just in case. Unless you need the compact design or just like the CL, or you love 40mm lenses or simply because of its uniqueness, there is merit as others have suggested in getting the new Voigtlander R2 instead.

• 4 years later...

I consider the Leica CL a highly reliable camera with the several caveats?the meter and

the shutter curtains. The camera I'm using is a 1972 CL that belonged to my dad. The

meter probably tanked a week after leaving the factory. The shutter curtains are delicate,

and if you have a hang-nail, you run the risk of opening a pinhole leak.

As to metering, I've been on Sunny 16 for so long, the meter is irrelevant. Going

completely manual is very liberating.<div>00JuvN-34937884.jpg.9f614bfc411b0a269d9da14667eb4741.jpg</div>