5D with my Planar MM 85/1.4?

photog630

<p>Fellow PhotoNetters:<br /> A couple of years back, I started to look at the idea of putting a manual focus lens from my Contax RTSII outfit on my Canon 5D. The lens, which I still own, is a Planar MM 85/1.4, and I recall reading about others who were having issues with the mirror box clearance in their 5Ds.<br>

I now own a Canon 85/1.8L, and like the results, but still own my trusty planar. Which adaptors, if any, would allow me to use the planar (contax mount) on my 5D effectively?</p>

<p>Look on eBay for the adapter that provides infinity focus, many do not. The one that does gives the sensor/film to lens distance. Likely about $50 USD. It's been awhile since I looked, I had to sell my Planar when I switched from Canon to Nikon, no, I did not use it on a 5D so I don't know. The Planar is incredible when stopped down to f2.8.</p>

<p>Do you have the Canon 85/1.8 or Canon 85/1.2 L? </p>

<p>Seems to be "fuhaoda" or "happypagehk" on eBay. Search these names or search "EOS Contax". All the others say that their's are the best built, who cares, or that they have infinity without eplaining that the adapter thickness should be 1.42mm. At one point I thought fotodiox was good but now I am unsure. I bought one of the under $20 ones and it was only good to about 50 feet with the 85/1.4, so it makes sense that the slightly thinner adapter would take it out to infinity. Check the feedback of the seller.</p>

<p>Dan, I have this link. Hope it helps.<br>

http://www.cameraquest.com/adaptnew.htm<br>

I don't have any Contax mount lenses at the moment or tried them with the 5D, but I do use my Leica lenses on a 5D. I use a similar focal length lens to your planar, the Leica Summicron R 90 f2 Apo. It clears the 5D mirror very well, although there were some early reports about this lens hitting the 5D mirror. </p>

<p>Thanks for responses so far; it sounds like there are some viable options out there! Marco, can you set your 5D on Aperture Priority (Av), and manage to shoot fine with your Summicron 90/2 at whatever aperture you like?<br>

I was hoping to hear from any actual users of the same lens/camera combo, that are having success with an adaptor (or not).</p><div>00SAve-105982184.jpg.fea4a1f0d3b125e170a76d6b9dd5b0c7.jpg</div>

<p>-- "can you set your 5D on Aperture Priority (Av), and manage to shoot fine with your Summicron 90/2 at whatever aperture you like?"</p>

<p>Yes, the 5D will adjust exposure time according to the light it actually measures. This is not as accuarate as with EF lenses, nevertheless, works quite well. You'll eventually have to dial in slight exposure compensation.</p>

<p>Don,<br>

I use this combination. My caveats:<br>

1 All adapters I have purchased through eBay have focused to at least infinity.<br>

2 Choose between plain and AF confirm types. The AF confirm adapters have a chip glued on. This chip allows all metering modes and provides focus confirmation.<br>

3 Metering works significantly more linear with the optional Canon Ee-S focusing screen. On the standard Ee-A screen I had to dial in different exposure compensation for different f stops. A PITA!<br>

4 If you use an AF confirm adapter, check that the outside edge of the chip does not foul the mirror box. My Haoda adapter was the only one that cleared out of the box, all others required a bit of sanding a chamfer to the edge. If you let it foul, it will wear a groove into your mirror box and the chip can be worked loose and fall off. No fun.<br>

5 Compare the distance to which the two tabs on the back of the lens protrude to the depth of the mirror box. My lens tabs required a tiny trim with a file ( less than 1mm). Mirror box clearances are very tight on Canon's full frame DSLR's.<br>

6 I have had no issue with the mirror clearing this lens. However, while many other lenses will clear, some will not!<br>

Overall, once dialed in the Canon 5d works well with my manual focus Zeiss C/Y mount lenses from my old RTS II.</p>

<p>Hi Dan,<br>

AV is what I use with ambient light. Exposure is spot on when the lens is wide open, but the camera tends to over-expose as I close the diaphragm. So, I have to override AV, under-exposing up to -2 stops when the lens is set to f8. Now I know under exposure is 1 full stop when using the lens at f 4 and 1.5 stops when it is set at f5.6. It can be annoying I know, not the fastest type of shooting, but I do really enjoy the colours the Leica lenses bring out. I also use the following Leica lenses with adapters that have no AF confirmation, 28 f2.8, 60 f2.8 macro, 135 f2.8 & Apo Elmarit 180 f2.8. Other brand lenses are also nice to use like a Russian Jupiter 85 f1.8, Jena 50 f1.8, Pentax 50 f1.4, and a few other that haven't seen the light lately.<br>

In a controlled environment, the over-exposing of the camera meter is no problem at all, and I find myself very comfortable using other brand lenses on my Canon bodies. The Laica macro is my standard studio lens, and it produces about 60% of my studio shots published in magazines. The other 30% might be taken with the 90mm. And the remaining 10% might be done with other Canon lenses.<br>

On location, with available light, I mostly shoot with the Canon lenses for speed and convenience.</p><div>00SB6e-106021784.jpg.a764ae679a0881803085bab8075939a2.jpg</div>

<p>Hi Dan,<br>

AV is what I use with ambient light. Exposure is spot on when the lens is wide open, but the camera tends to over-expose as I close the diaphragm. So, I have to override AV, under-exposing up to -2 stops when the lens is set to f8. Now I know under exposure is 1 full stop when using the lens at f 4 and 1.5 stops when it is set at f5.6. It can be annoying I know, not the fastest type of shooting, but I do really enjoy the colours the Leica lenses bring out. I also use the following Leica lenses with adapters that have no AF confirmation, 28 f2.8, 60 f2.8 macro, 135 f2.8 & Apo Elmarit 180 f2.8. Other brand lenses are also nice to use like a Russian Jupiter 85 f1.8, Jena 50 f1.8, Pentax 50 f1.4, and a few other that haven't seen the light lately.<br>

In a controlled environment, the over-exposing of the camera meter is no problem at all, and I find myself very comfortable using other brand lenses on my Canon bodies. The Laica macro is my standard studio lens, and it produces about 60% of my studio shots published in magazines. The other 30% might be taken with the 90mm. And the remaining 10% might be done with other Canon lenses.<br>

On location, with available light, I mostly shoot with the Canon lenses for speed and convenience.</p>

• 4 weeks later...

<p>Marco, the haoda adaptor arrived yesterday and I quickly put it to use with my 85/1.4 planar and 5D combo. The standard viewing screen on the 5D is a bit tough to use, so I may end up getting Canon's Ee-S(?) manual focusing screen.<br>

Anyway, here is a test shot at 1.4. I'm happy with the way this lens isolates the area of sharp focus. That extra stop actually DOES make a difference. Note that I also used an extension ring on the 85 to get in a bit closer.</p><div>00SS5d-109737584.jpg.b392082857698134349030fb547b90dd.jpg</div>