Exacting Experiences

<p>My latest 'Flickr' pics and write-ups are of the various 35mm Exakta SLRs in my collection cupboard. Exaktas are not the easiest cameras to use, I'll admit. The most obvious difficulty is having a left-side shutter/film wind lever and release, but there's lots more traps to catch out the unwary. Even opening the back door requires a degree in mechanical engineering, or at least to have one of the more in-depth 'How-To-Do' books from Werner Wurst, K. Allanson or Abel & Tydings for some handy advice, seeing as Ihagee's Owners' IBs were so miserly on such details. By the way, once you <em>do </em>work out how to open the door to Sinbad's Cave, there's a nasty little knife blade waiting to slice skin off your pinkie ......</p>

<p>Eventually Ihagee saw the light and Exakta IBs went from four pages for the 1949 Exakta 11, to 14 for the 1953 Exakta VX, and finally to a relatively encyclopaedic 62 pages for the 1957 Varex 11a. The mysteries of Tutankamen's Tomb were finally revealed .......</p>

<p>The link to my Flickr Portfolio Pages is here: <a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/32113303@N07/">http://www.flickr.com/photos/32113303@N07/</a></p>

<p><em>(Pete In A Cooler Perth)</em></p>

<p>Hi Pete,<br>

I've only ever owned one Exakta and that one required a major shutter overhaul. I did get it for not much though and soon sold it on as requiring shutter repair. As I still got a good bit more for it than I paid, maybe I should have held on to it and got it fixed myself.<br>

I have just acquired and read the book "Exakta Cameras 1933-1978" by Aguila and Rouah and am now starting to think I should perhaps have a representative camera in the collection. Well, we are being encouraged to spend our way out of recession, right?<br>

Steve</p>

<p>Steve,<br>

What an excellent philosophy! I, for one, certainly feel that I should do my part to help the economy therefore I will buy "<em><strong>Cameras for my Country</strong> </em> "! At this point though, my wallet is in need of a serious bailout, but I doubt that I qualify for those funds in Washington. At any rate, <strong>Peter</strong> this is a great thread and your flickr post is excellent as usual. I only have the one Exakta VX that I've shown here awhile ago, but I really enjoy using it. I hope to acquire more lenses for it at some point, and eventually hope to gain some degree of mastery over the camera itself.</p>

<p>I bought my first Exakta when in graduate school (a long time ago). Since then, another dozen Exa and Exakta cameras have joined the herd of over 200 cameras. We still use them now and then. <br>

With some of the lenses, the images can be quite good. They are just about the ultimate modular camera with a huge number of attachments, finders, focussing screens, lenses, etc. to play with. <br>

For all that, my wife prefers her Topcons and I tend to use Olympus Om series cameras, supplemented by TLRs, view cameras, etc. <br>

Support the economy by spending more on cameras? Did that. Now, we are spending more on film, paper, chemistry, darkroom gear, etc. <br>

Maybe I should get a buyout to support this habit. Are there seven steps for camera addicts?</p>

I really like that you add the comments and I enjoy browsing and reading alll those intersting tid-bits you add! I bought in a while ago on an outfit with 3 lenses. I suspect my stuff dated from a period of low quality. (Early 60s) I've repaired the VXIIa v.3's shutter twice, both the Planar and Biometar Aperture/Auto function as well as paid to have the haze removed from the 35mm Flektagon I've since supplemented this with an Exa (neat little ergonomic design) and paid to have its Tessar lens fixed too. Those 25mm Flektogons. or an earlier body may be where my bailout money goes!!

<p>Just to further emphasize what is implicit here: reading the f** manual (aka RTFM) is especially important with Exaktas. Most of the damage to existing models is done by persons who don't know what they are doing and assume it works like other, merely photographic, cameras. I think most manuals are available now at Butkus's "free" manual site (<a href="http://www.butkus.org/chinon/exakta.htm">link</a> ). If you use them, give him the donation he asks for to support the cause.</p>

<p>I have an Ihagee eyelevel viewfinder that I'd be glad to give someone it they can use it. It came in a box lot that I picked up and I have no idea what it fits, don't even know if it is uesable. The only markings besides Ihagee Dresden are a VX and a serial no. 29769 and Germany. It's in a leather case. Email me if interested.</p>

<p>Nice collection Pete! But how do you pay attention to all of them? Exaktas are great like all pioneers and explorers; they are tough and make you work; then they reward you well and build up a loyal admiration too! I have had VX IIB and an RTL 1000 since 1971. Recently, I bought one junk VXIIA and IIB and rebuilt them from scratch with help from Miles Upton's manual and Rick Olsen's instrucive sketches. If one takes care they seem to work well, eternally.</p>

<p>Noticed that Ozz cricket has won back some pride defeating the RSA in the 20-20s. Perth reminds me of the "Freemantle doctor" and one of the all time greats Neil Harvey! Have not seen a batsman and a gentle sportsman like him, since! Regards, sp. </p>

<p>Thanks, guys - good to see there's some interest out there in the Classic Exakta still. By the way, I've now added a 'Final Chapter' page to my Flickr Portfolio showing my four 'newest' models, ie both an early Varex 11a and a late one, plus a VX11b and a VX1000. Chuck's quite right about their quality falling off into the 60s compared to their classic days in the 50s - the only one of mine that plays up on occasion is the 'newest' one, the VX1000. The oldest, the 1938 Kine Eaxakta, still works perfectly though ................... ! <br>

SP - yup, they're worth putting the time and effort in to learn how to use properly. Talking about sport - ie cricket - about the only school of pro photogs who didn't seem to take to the Exakta, were the sports photogs. Every other sector admired and used them. Talking of 20/20 cricket, I have to admit not being that much of a fan. I much prefer the slower and more subtle pace of Test Cricket - maybe that's why I like Exaktas! Still, 20/20 has attracted a lot more interest to cricket, especially amongst the younger folks who found the five-day game too slow and protracted. <br>

The early Varex 11a with the embossed "Exakta" lettering is my special favourite so I've done a separate feature about it alone, which also gave me a chance to show off my one and only original Exakta box.</p>

<p>That is a great collection of Exaktas Peter, especially like the box! Totally agree about the use of these cameras, they are a bit of a nightmare, only use them very occasionally, rest of the time they are shelf queens.<br>

Like you, my favourite is the VX, with that lovely chrome script, pulls plenty of positive comments, along with my Contarex. Just like a '59 Cadillac.....chrome rules!<br>

Tony</p>