Ireland for a week

cabelnoteboom.com

<p>I need advice for a trip in June. We will be flying into Shannon and I can't decide whether to go North or South. I have done all the research and realize that SW Ireland is amazingly beautiful but it also may be touristy. I have also see Stephan Emerson's images of the Donegal area and I think that the NW could be appealing.<br>

Your advice would be appriciated. <br>

Cabel</p>

<p>What's the purpose of your trip? Are you there to work as a photographer and sell your work? Or are you there to see Ireland? I think that might make a difference. I traveled in southern Ireland and while it is touristy at points (I thought the Ring of Kerry was particularly bad for that) it's a beautiful place and worth the hassle. The reality is that there is a lot of open space in Ireland and you won't be overwhelmed by tourists even at the biggest spots (Cliffs of Moher come to mind). Have fun!</p>

<p>When I am in Ireland, I usually stay in the Galway area. My last trip (June, 2008), I went further Northwest for the first time and I can't wait to go back. I got some amazing shots in Clifden and <a href="http://www.letterfrack.info/">Letterfrack</a> (Kylemore Abbey specifically.) The Connemara National Park is a great stop. I would say that the Connemara area of Ireland is definitely my favorite, although I am a little biased as that is where my family is from.<br>

I'm back to Ireland in May and I'll definitely be traveling Northwest again (up to Sligo and Donegal.)</p>

<p>You can view the fine art section of our website to see what type of photographers we are. The purpose of the trip is to come home with some amazing images of Ireland. I like moody and mystical shots of the land, coast and ruins.<br>

I really want to know if Kerry and Dingle are as great as everyone says they are. I have yet to see any landscape image of Southern Ireland that makes me want to go there. I have seen plenty (Captivelandscapes.com) of images of the Northwest that interests me.</p>

<p>Cabel<br>

www.cabelnoteboom.com</p>

<p>Flying into Shannon is a smart move. Typically not crowded and centrally located for traveling the western, northwest and southwestern part of Ireland.<br>

Kerry, Dingle will be touristy in June. The Cliffs of Mohr. But if you travel mid-week you might avoid some crowds. We were there in March last year, and it was fabulous. No crowds, no buses. The high road to Dingle was incredible. The one lane pass. The vistas. Absolutely beautiful. And this was in March, so you should see some nice weather in June.<br>

We had a great time up in the northwest in Connamare Park. The park itself, the Kylemore Abbey, etc. Spent a few days in Galway. Great pubs, night life, very busy there. People come out of the woodwork at night there.<br>

There are some nice backroads in the south central part around Limerick, Adare, etc. Just driving on those roads gets you into some incredible scenes. Old monastaries, castles, and small towns and pubs. The whole country is a postcard.<br>

Have a great trip!</p>

<p>Having done both several times, my vote would very clearly be to go north. There's more of it, its less busy, and there's more variety. Finding the photographs is easy- you just stay as close to the coast as you can. Going north from Shannon, look for the following</p>

<ul>

<li>The Cliffs of Moher</li>

<li>The Burren- limestone pavement with ancient standing stones</li>

<li>Galway</li>

<li>The coast between Cashel and Roundstone, also the peninsula on which stands Ginsk</li>

<li>The coast near Clifden and Letterfrack with the "Twelve Bens" behind</li>

<li>Clew Bay and Westport</li>

<li>Achill Island</li>

<li>Sligo coast around Mullaghmore, Streedagh, and Cloghboley</li>

<li>Donegal coast at Rossnowlagh- don't be fooled by the holiday developments, the beach is great to photograph at sunset. </li>

<li>The Donegal coast is usually interesting pretty much wherever, though I aprticularly like the area round Gweedore/Bunbeg; around Horn Head, and the Inishowen peninsula north of Derry. You shouldn't try to get any further in a week.</li>

</ul>

<p>Leave the inland alone unless you want a faster route back to the airport. <br>

One point. The days in June are very long. Look up a sunrise/sunset table and be prepared to be surprised. To catch the best light you'll need to be up very early and settle for a quick and early dinner so you can get out to photograph in the best light. Also it will be best if you stay really close to the best areas to avoid long drives very early and late. </p><div>00S9rn-105765584.jpg.bde9c56c8e4d91b1b2b2e26d279794ed.jpg</div>

<p>I also flew into Shannon and we first went to the southern part to see (and kiss) the Blarney Stone and I thought it was very pretty around there but it was touristy too. I also love the Dingle Peninsula. I suggest driving all along the west coast heading North. Donegal was a great town with a lot of history. We stayed the longest in Ardara at a bungalow that our relatives own. It's a small town with, again, a lot of history. But it was beautiful there too. The whole west coast is beautiful with a lot to see. We did head to Giant's Causeway too and I thought that was really interesting.</p>

<p>Here are my top places to see in Ireland:<br /> #1 N59 in Co Mayo. The drive from Leenane to Westport is like no other place on earth. Find the Delphi Lodge when you are there. The surrounding mountains, rivers, streams, lakes, etc is one of the most beautiful places on earth....it will haunt you. Stay at the Delphi Lodge for a night if you can afford it. You will talk about that place till the day you die. Try to find the near by famine cross made of stone just up the road from the Delphi. Be prepared the view from that cross will bring tears to your eyes.<br>

#2 The Connemara. Located North West of Galway....Near the borders of Co Mayo and Co Galway. Get lost in the mountains of the Connemara for a couple days. Fly into Shanon, head straight to Galway after you land. Spend the night in Galway and then head to the Connemara. This is right on the way to Leenane and Westport (which I mention above)<br>

#3 Clare Island, Co Mayo. Home of the Grace O'Malley the Pirate Queen. This is off the beaten path. It's a short drive from Westport. You catch the fairy at Roonah. Rent a couple of bikes and ride up to the light house....and don't forget to check out the Abbey. Just ask the locals where it is, and they'll direct you to some old man's house....where he'll give you a key to get in the abbey. It's spookey! If you are lucky you might catch some traditional irish music and dancing at the island center.(the local only pub)<br>

#4 Ardara, Co Donegal. stay at the Green gate b&b. Just know this is no hotel. It's rustic, the owner (who's french) is not fond of rude snoby americans - SO BE POLITE!!, it's autentic, it's romantic, and it's one of the most beautiful little gems you'll ever stay at. (No TV, computers, etc) The beds are not comfortable, the ceilings are about 5' high...YEA it's a real old irish cottage. From there the locals will direct you to one of the most amazing spots in Ireland....it's easily two days of exploring this area but it's WELL worth it. Ask how to get to Glencolmcille from Ardara. The drive to Glencolmcille is unbelievable. Glencolmcille is an amzing little village w/ great pubs, music, and a well. Hike up the very large hill to see the well. You'll be glad you did. I never did find that well, but the hike and view at the top is something to see. ASK THE LOCALS HOW TO FIND THE VILLAGE OF PORT. Port is a famine village that is in ruin. There is one road in and remnants of the small fishing village are still there. (bring a bottle of wine and enjoy the views) There will be NO one any where in site.<br>

#5 Glenveagh National Park - Here you will find a picturesque small castle over looking the most beautiful lakes you'll ever see. The drive to get there is pretty nice as well.</p>

<p>#6 Malin Head - At the Northern tip of Co Donegal. If you like music stay at McGrory's in Culdaff and party till the sun comes up. It's a nice B&B / pub and it's only a walk from the beach. The drive from Culdaff to the Malin Head is amazing. While you are that far north you mine as well check out the Giants Causeway.</p>

<p>#7 Dingle - the drive from Tralee to Dingle is awsome. Just make sure you take the mountain pass and not the main road. It will scare the @#$ out of you, but it's worth it. The town of Dingle is beautiful. Take a boat ride, check out the silly dolphin boat ride. Stay at Gorhmans Cliff Top and hike down to the water.</p>

<p>The ring of kerry is VERY touristy and the locals treat you like a tourist. It is beautiful though. The traffic is horrible during the summer months. The Burren is very cool. I do like the south, but I would not go there during peak season (June-Sept) The cliffs of Moher are very cool as well. Near Shanon the town of Adare is pretty cool, and the Adare Manor is amazing. If you can afford it, stay there. The food at the Adare is something else. You will be treated like royalty. If you enjoy the whole touristy thing, then the south may be for you. If you like an adventure, just rent a car and head to Galway and then up to Donegal. The locals up there are less annoyed by foriengers and the land is much more wild.</p>