Need backup camera 40d or 50d?

thomasbeaman

<p>I am purchasing a Canon 5d Mark II for my wedding photography business. I already have good glass (28-70L & 70-200L IS)<br>

I would like to purchase a new body as a 2nd/backup. In your opinion, is there enough difference in the 40d and 50d to spend the extra $400 since it is a backup/2nd body.<br>

I guess my question is if you were making the purchase for a backup...would you go with the 40d for $875 or would you go with the 50d for $1300. Again...my main camera will be the 5d Mark II<br>

Thanks for the help</p>

<p>I have a 50D (never used the 40D, but had the 20D before) and a 5DMkII (used to have a 5D but it was stolen). The 50D makes a great back-up or second body, though I imagine the 40D would be no slouch either. The only thing that might sway you in favor of the 50D is that the controls, screen, and sensor cleaning function on that camera are similar to what you have on the 5DMkII, so you'd have fewer controls to remember. </p>

<blockquote>

<p>The only thing that might sway you in favor of the 50D is that the controls, screen, and sensor cleaning function on that camera are similar to what you have on the 5DMkII, so you'd have fewer controls to remember.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Save the lower rez LCD, the controls of the 40D and 50D are nearly identical. I only diff I can recall is the print button may be mapped to life view on the 50D whereas the Set button is used for the same on the 40D. With that said, I'd spring for the 50D as backup for the 5D II. It's only a couple benjamins more and a nice upgrade over the 40D. I think the current 50D price is closer to $1100, not $1300. Come tax season, I'll probably spring for a 5D II as a backup to my 50D.</p>

Sometimes the light’s all shining on me. Other times I can barely see.

- Robert Hunter