Spot metering with Minolta manual bodies?

zoltan_kovacs

From my own knowledge and a look at the Minman site, I would say no. There was an old Minolta SLR with interchangeable prisms which may have had a spot meter option, but I have not heard about it. I think Olympus and Contax made the only manual bodies with spot metering...

Zoltan,

Not aware of any spot metering manual minoltas. Using a longish zoom as posted above is a good second best but does not get as narrow a reading as a real spot meter. Thats how I do it though. Other spot metering manual cameras are from Contax (167 I think) and of course the Olympus OM2SP (Spot Program). Oddly the Pentax Spotmatic is center weighted metering - only the prototype had a spot meter. Pentax thought users would find it too difficult to use but kept the name.

Thank you all, for the answers!

I hesitate to change my system. I have a Minolta 505si(XTsi), with a fine spot metering, but the prices the AF-lenses...:-( I have not chance to buy ex. an AF 1.4/85mm; but the M42 version is cheaper...

Should I buy an Minolta AF/M42 converter???

Zoltan

there were a number of manual bodies with spot metering, though no minoltas that i can recall, and not the pentax spotmatic (only the prototype had a spot meter, it was never sold that way). Here are some:

miranda auto sensorex (miranda bayonet mount)

ricoh TLS401 (pentax screw mount)

mamiya DTL 1000 (pentax screw mount)

olympus OM2S, OM4 and (i think) OM3 (OM bayonet mount)

the miranda and ricoh allow you to select center spot or average meter; the mamiya does the same but its "spot" is at the edge of the frame, sort of odd. the OM2S is spot-only in manual metering and average-only on automatic, and the OM4 allows you to meter several spots and it automatically integrates the readings.

but none will accept a minolta lens :(=

rick :)=