Scanning with Gepe slide mount's ANR glass

g_t3

<p>In looking for ANR glass (looking for alternative beside Doug Fisher's film holder and ANR), I came upon the Gepe 6x6 slide mount. From reading on the Gepe's website, I understand that each mount came with ANR glasses. I am just wondering if anyone has tried scanning with the ANR glass alone?<br>

I have an Epson 4990, and I really do not like the 6X6 film holder that came with the scanner: It always takes me a lot of fiddling around to put the 120 on the holder properly, i.e. making sure the films are properly seated and flat. So I was wondering if it is feasible to use the ANR glass that comes with Gepe mount to flatten the film. I have never seen or used a Gepe slide mount before, so I am seeking your advice. If it is feasible, does the glass come off easily from the Gepe mount? Is the size of the glass 6X6? I know there is also an 6X7 version. Would putting on the glass affecting the scanner functionality (knowing that the film holder is 1mm thick). <br>

Thanks a lot in advanced.. and hope this is not a stupid idea..</p>

<p>First off, I would check and see if these mounts are even available anymore. (If they are, send them all to me!)</p>

<p>Next, if you're going to use the ANR glass, I believe you would put the film on the holder, then put the glass on top. This is my understanding from reading the betterscanning site.</p>

<p>The pressure from the glass is supposed to flatten the film in the holder, which, basically, is the whole point.</p>

<p>So, putting it on top of the film doesn't alter your scanner to film distance.</p>

<p>Hi Michael,<br>

I see them here -- http://www.gepe.com/website/index.asp?pageID=167 they are available in their online store.<br>

So, can I confirm that the glass can be removed easily from these slide mounts? My intention is to use the glasses removed from these mounts and put them on top of the Epson scanner's 4990 film carrier, as to add weight to the film, thus flatten out the negatives...<br>

Thanks</p>

<p>It is the Gepe 2601. Plain glass on one side A.N. on the other side. In the past I have successfully scanned mounted slide film with Epson flatbed scanners (1600, later 3200). I did not use the Epson film holder at all. Just put the entire mount in the upper right corner of the glass plate. The mount is 3 mm thick so the film will be 1.5 mm above the glass plate. That is about right. May be not for critical use but then you would not use a flatbed in the first place.</p>

<p>Ahh, I believe it is your intention to pillage a mount for the A.N. glass. Right? Well, the mount itself is plastic and the glass is held in place by a metal frame. The frame has a 6 holes. The plastic mount has 6 pins coming through the holes of the metal frame. After putting things together the ends of the pins are deformed by heat and that's it. I suppose a small soldering iron with a sharp point can be used to loosen the six pins and the metal frame comes off. Then you can get to the glass. </p>

<p>Ferdi,<br>

Thanks for the info and instruction! That is exactly I want to do, remove the glass from the mount and put it on the Epson film carrier as a weight and ANR glass... but from your instruction, it sounds like it is tedious to do that and the glass might not even be 6X6, which means it won't fit the width of the Epson film carrier.</p>

<p>I've opened up some Gepe glass mounts using a drill press. Just gently land a smallish diameter drill tip on the rivet head until you get through it.</p>

<p>How your scans will turn out with Anti-Newton Ring glass are another matter: obviously your focus consistancy across the frame will be very good. the fine-ground pattern on the glass may be evident in your scans though, and there might still be residual rainbow patterns at points of contact between film and glass. It depends a lot on the scanner and the resolution.</p>

<p>I don't think that the use of the Gepe slide glass will cause a problem with scanner functionality for the simply reason that Doug Fisher's holders ( for the V series at least) are substantially thicker than the regular holder and indeed height adjustable, so the scanner can't be terribly height sensitive.</p>

<p>What I would expect is that you'll find the Gepe glass too thin and light to hold the film effectively and that without taping you might have difficulty keeping the film placed accurately whilst loading the scanner. Doug Fisher also advises not to use Ice when using the AN glass. </p>

<p>I have been using the Gepe ANR glass slide mount for projecting and scanning on my Nikon 9000 ED scanner. They work out very nicely and I have have any issues with the Gepe ANR glass. For that reason, I have not got the Nikon glass mount holder. </p>

<p>Cheers, </p>

Ah-ha...

You've discovered my secret for getting flat scans of my 6x6 slides on my 9000. I bought the mounted slide holder which also holds lantern slides and 6x7 mounts and always put my 6x6 film in a GEPE mount with the shiny side against the anti-newton glass. Everything is now in focus and rarely are their newton rings.

Tom Burke

<p>Doug Fisher's scanning solution for my Epson 4990 sounds great, but just way too expensive.. Will get some Gepe mounts, remove the ANR glass, use it as a flattener on the OEM film carrier and see what happen..</p>

• 5 months later...