Poor Wedding Photographer, which 70-200 (tamron or sigma) is best?

christian_louzan

<p>Hi Eveyone,<br>

I'm fairly new to this forum, in addition to being fairly new at wedding photography. I shoot with a Nikon D200, and use a D70 for a backup body. Everybody that's anybody raves about how great a lens the Nikon 70-200 is for just about everything. For close to two grand, it better be. The Sigma and the Tamron seem to be roughly comparable, and have a price tag within 100 dollars of each other (700, 600). I use a 70-300 vr as my zoom right now, and feel like it's time for an upgrade, more for the sake of the pictures than to have a fancy new toy. I've been researching the differences between the Tamron and the Sigma, and while my friend told me Tamron was the way to go, the one made by Sigma seems almost identical. If anyone can offer their sage advice, it would be very much appreciated.<br>

Many thanks.</p>

<p>Firstly, the VR is one of the reasons for the acclaimed Nikon.</p>

<p>Of the Tamron and the Sigma, I would go for the Tamron. I know it's not quite as sharp as the Sig. but it will be in focus more of the time (IMO).</p>

<p>Given you have the 70-300Vr, I would only get the 70-200/2.8 for the faster aperture to help with background bokeh. If you are wanting that, sell the 70-300 and add it to the price of the Nikon flavor. Or save longer, for this lens range the wait will be worth it.</p>

<p>Yes, thank you Rey! That article proved to be very helpful. Per David's comment, just to confirm, your sugguestion that I either keep the 70-300 vr and buy a tamron 70-200, or just sell the 70-300 vr and put it in my funds to buy a 70-200 vr? Thanks for everybody's help, I really appreciate it.</p>

<p>Christian, I have the Sigma 70 - 200 Macro (the newest version) and I use it for weddings. The Sigma does a great job of focusing quickly. That was the main reason I purchased it over the Tamron. The other reason for picking the sigma is the HSM which is whisper quiet. The Tamron's motor could be heard and in a church ceremony I didn't want the added attention.</p>

<p>Yet another option is an older Nikkor 70-200 F4. I love this lens. I use it as my travel lens, as it is half the size and weight as my 80-200 2.8. Focusses closer, too. Best part is the price. You can find them for about $100-$200. It does not focus as fast as an AFS lens, but it does focus fast enough. By that I mean I am not annoyed by the focussing speed.<br>

The times I really need 2.8 are very few.<br>

Save your money.</p>

<p>Ah, allright, thanks everybody! You've all been incredibly helpful, I guess the general consensus is that I should just stick with my current lens and get the Nikon when I can afford it. I suppose it's kind of ridiculous to just buy the Tamron or Sigma 70-200, mostly sense it's about half the price of a used 70-200. Again, thanks for all your help, I really appreciate it.</p>

• 2 weeks later...