Zuik 50mm f/1.4 optics

matthew_newton

<p>Out of curiousity does anyone know if Zuiko changed the optics in the 50/1.4 over the years. I know they moved from single coating to multicoating and supposedly the ones with sn over 1.1m are supposed to be the sharpest. I am guessing based on the lens being 'sharper' that something was changed even if it wasn't the formula (7 elements in 6 groups). Was the element material changed, which elements were cemented together? The cementation compound? Better quality control?<br>

I recently got a 50mm f/1.4 multicoated lens to possibly replace my 50mm f/1.4 single coated lens (I wasn't able to find a 50/1.4 with an SN over 1.1m, though I came close, SN 1,05x,xxx). I am going to test them out at f/1.4, f/2, f/4 and f/8 (possibly f/16 as well) to see which one is the better lens. I'll probably use Fuji Reala and scanned with an Epson 4490 at 3200dpi. I am hoping to get the shots in this weekend and have the film developed early next week.<br>

I am also thinking of doing testing of my Sigma 28mm f/1.8 and Tamron 28mm f/2.5 back to back with the Sigma at f/1.8, f/2.5, f/4, f/8 and f/16 and the Tamron at f/2.5, f/4, f/8 and f/16. I haven't scanned back through to much of my Sigma 28mm f/1.8 film yet (I still have about a 3 month back log in scanning since I just got the scanner), but my Tamron 28mm f/2.5 is turning out to be a very, very, very sharp lens (possibly my sharpest), the Sigma 28/1.8 is looking to be pretty darned sharp as well, even wide open.</p>

<p>i have heard that there is a difference in sharpness, however, from what my friends version produces, it is very hard to see any difference on my multicoated version. i do think that these things are often like splitting hairs. the multicoated versions are less prone to flare, which i suppose is more noticeable in sunlight or brightly lit interiors. do feel free to post some results.</p>

<p>There are 4 different 50mm f1.4 OM Zuikos. I don't know the serial number breakdowns. First type is single coated with silver edged filter ring, known by many for it's "bokeh". Type 2 is single coated with black filter ring. Type 1 and 2 have different lens element part numbers. Even among single coated, the lenses are definitely different. Type 3 is multicoated and says "MC" on name ring. Type 4 is the last type, is multicoated, does NOT say "MC" on name ring. I think these are the ones above 1.1M serial number. Type 3 and 4 also have different part numbers for most of the elements including front and rear. John, www.zuiko.com</p>

<p>Thanks for the information John! It seemed a little odd that Olympus wouldn't have changed anything in the lens other then coating over the course of almost 30 years. Hopefully I'll have some interesting results early next week (I'll start a new thread for the results). Also maybe I'll keep searching for one of those high serial number 50/1.4s without the MC on the front and get one some day to try out against the lower serial number MC lens.</p>

<p><em>"Also maybe I'll keep searching for one of those high serial number 50/1.4s without the MC on the front and get one some day to try out against the lower serial number MC lens."</em> <br /> <br /> Nah, just concentrate on taking photos that please you. It's much more fun. The G-Zuiko SC lens isn't especially good wide open, but all the later ones are excellent.</p>

<p>Other than bokeh, I'd think that after 35 years there'd be so much variation between individual samples of lenses that most people couldn't tell you which lens was better. Age, dust, haze, degree of usage, where stored, temp., humidity, was the owner a smoker, etc. could hide a lens' true performance potential. You'd have to test recently CLA'd lenses for a true test.<br />I agree with Simon- just be happy and shoot some pictures rather than obsess over what S/N your lens is. (Generally speaking. I'm not saying you're obsessing.)</p>

<p>Matthew, I have a OM 50mm 1.4 that is is a 1.1M+ serial number. I have 5 Oly 50's so parting with one won't kill me. I have not done any comparisons and have been plenty happy with pics from any of those I owned. Shoot me an e-mail off-line if interested. </p>

<p>I'm at least trying not to obsess, to much. I had gotten an Epson 4490 recently and on 3200dpi scans I had just noticed that my 50/1.4 sc was softer then I thought, even stopped down a few stops. So I figured I would try to find a 50/1.4 that would be sharper, especially wide open since I tend to use it a lot at f/1.4 and f/2 for photos of my (almost) 1yr old son. Of course what I would really love is a 50/1.2, but that is kind of far out of my price range for quite awhile still. Thanks again everyone.</p>

<p>matthew, alot of people believe that the zuiko 50mm f/1.8 is sharper than the f/1.4 equivalent (also smaller and lighter). Try getting your hands on one of the "Made in Japan" versions which was the more recent version and reputedly the best. If you don't mind loosing a stop I believe this will be a good option.<br>

The only time I'd use the 50mm f/1.4 is when I want to shoot at f/1.4, which I rarely do anyway because the performance isn't that great wide open.</p>