bellows trouble

anders_korhonen

<p>Hi all,</p>

<p>Got into LF a month ago , by getting a 60's vintage cambo 4x5 with a 180mm 5,6 symmar on a synchro compur of the same vintage( -61), and really liking it a lot! <br>

My problem is that I asked my photg teacher to help me repair the bellows as it had a couple minor holes in it... He messed it up big time, using some sort of black insulation paste the whole way of the bellows on all 4 sides though it had only a couple holes in the ends.. anyway, now the bellows is so stiff that it prohibits movements if focus is roughly more than 5m away, and it really sucks!<br>

Is there anyway to make a new bellows from some other bellows, as I can't find a replacement bellows, atleast for a reasonable price? I paid only(?) 350 usd for the complete set with a tripod, and can't really spend the same amount on a new bellows from calumet etc.</p>

<p>Suggestions?</p>

<p>Anders</p>

<p>Contact Calumet repairs (1-800-calumet) to determine if this model Cambo takes the same bellows as the later models such as the SCX, etc. If so, keep your eyes open on eBay and join Large Format Photography Forum (free) and post a WTB (want to buy) in their for sale section. Standard bellows are not all that rare for the 70's/80's model cameras are take seconds to remove and replace so you should be able to track one down fairly soon at a reasonable price. You might also check with KEH Camera (KEH.com) out of Atlanta.<br>

If you get a new one with pin holes, keep it away from this teacher. Most of the time pin holes can easily be bypassed by simply draping the bellows with the dark cloth before drawing the dark slide and then reversing the process after exposing the film.<br>

If you need to pactch pin holes, most art stores carry a black masking tape that I have found to work well on some fairly large holes and which seems to remain quite flexible.<br>

You might also look under the links section at Flutot'scamerarepair.com. Carol lists some amazing people and resources there that may also get you to a good repair solution.<br>

Good luck.<br>

Tim</p>

<p>Anders, try to repair it first. If that doesn't work, contact me; I have an old Calumet in pieces and I think I still have the bellow. If so, and if it's the right size, I could sell it to you pretty cheap. Shipping would probably be pretty expensive, so repair is still your best option.</p>

<p>Thanks all,</p>

<p>And yes I think the techer is too responsible, but then again I kind of asked for it. Thanks David, I'll try get some odd bellows and attach it to the old bellowsframes, otherwise I think all the cambo lensboard and bellows attachment look the same... but we'll see later.</p>

<p>Anders</p>

<p>ps Very informative and good forum, I've gotten loads of questions answered by just lurking around</p>

<p>I just checked Calumet on-line, and yes, their price for a Cambo bellows is ridiculously high.</p>

<p>I don't know what country you're in, but you might want to check with Camera Bellows in England. They make bellows for various standard view cameras, and probably could give you a quote pretty quickly.</p>

<p>If this doesn't work out, there is Western Bellows in California.</p>

<p>I usually make my own bellows, but I'm just now getting back in practice after some time away from it, so I won't offer this service right away.</p>

<p>Meanwhile, you might just want to flex the bellows you have a bunch, to see if it will loosen up.</p>

<p>But do let us know how it's going.</p>