Having Major Trouble

brooke_eaton1

<p>For those of you who use Mozilla Firefox (and you should :-) there is an add-on for viewing EXIF data of images without leaving the web browser.<br>

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/3905</p>

<h4>Long Description</h4>

<p>Extracts and displays the Exif (Exchangeable Image File), IPTC-NAA/IIM (International Press Telecommunications Council / Newspaper Association of America / Information Interchange Model), and IPTC Core (Adobe XMP, Extensible Metadata Platform) metadata, as stored by digital still cameras, in both local and remote JPEG images.</p>

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

<p>Brooke, I don't know about the Rebel line, but on the other semi-pro bodies, you can use the * button to take the focus away from the shutter release button. This is the ONLY way I use my cameras as it keeps your exposure and focus separate. I think its CF4:1 but I'm not looking at my camera at this moment.</p>

<p>Reasons for that method:<br>

1. Focus and release as you wish, without affecting the exposure when using an automated setting. 2. Locks focus simply by releasing the * button. 3. Allows the use of a half press of your shutter release button to lock exposure, then do the focusing as you would like.</p>

<p>Once you have adapted to its use, you will be hard pressed (pun) to go back :-)</p>

<p>As Marc said, setting up a controlled test is in order, but knowing Canon's infamous FF/RF issues, it may just leave you furstrated if the test is to confirm anything about the AF's ability. If you do it and use manual focus you will not be proving anything more than you already know I fear.</p>

<p> </p>

<p >Brook, The best advice I could give you is to spend more time shooting and build your photography skills. It will not happen over night. I shoot exclusive Canon EOS with only L series lens. A photographer's tool box is his/her equipment. As you perfect your photography skills you will also have the desire and need to acquire better equipment. Some may disagree with my opinion and that's o.k. I am speaking from experience (25 years). I am not trying to discourage you but maybe help you take a different direction so that you can achieve your goals. If I were in your shoes would work as a Photographers assistant or 2nd wedding photographer. If you can find an "experienced" wedding photographer who will take you under his/her wing then that in itself is worth its weight in gold. Wedding photography is the most difficult/stressful photography, that in part because you only get that one chance to capture ceremony moments. There are no second chances. It's critical that you build your photographer skills to function in this environment. I worked under an Experienced Wedding Photographer for almost three years before I felt comfortable to go out on my own. During this time period I acquired additional equipment necessary to shoot weddings. Buying camera gear is like a mechanic buying tools. It's expensive. If this is your dream then go for it. Take the right approach. Nothing worse than having a dissatisfied client. Your business will be built primarily from referral. Good luck. </p>

<p>Mark,<br>

I really wish I could get in some digital photography courses too. The colleges around here just offer film classes. But I think enrolling in some of these will help also. I've really only had 2 courses over the past 10 years, one in high school and one in college.</p>

<p>Go to layer adjustment, curves, I would select a point on one of the faces, raise it up a little and then go to about midpoint down and lower it. layer adjustment curve is often over looked as a method of adding sharpness to an image without effecting the grain, I am not at home now, I will copy the photo and add a curve and upload tonight to give you and idea. It also adds contrast, can be used to brighten colors. We sometimes get all caught up on plugin filters and forget some of the most useful tools in photoshop. </p>

<p>Brook, I will have to agree with Mark. I am somewhat surprised that many of the posting have not suggested the same. Simply put you need to spend more time perfecting your skills. You will also need to make significant investments into gear. I have roughly 15,000.00 dollars investment at this time. There are a TON of websites for digitsl photographers.<br>

Good advise from Mark. You need to team up with a EXPERIENCED Wedding Photographer. That's how you will learn. I worked as a second Wedding Photographer for one year, FREE. That's how important that experience and knowledge is. College will not make you a good wedding photographer, you will. Good luck</p>

<p>Brooke, I have a friend that is now retired, photographer for over 40 years, his comments about wedding photographers, "kinda snobby" your equipment is sufficient most events, but not all, I enjoy photography have a nice paying job and occassionally will do a wedding or other event, I have about $30,000 worth of equipment, but that is me. Some skills in post processing will help more then $10,000 worth of equipment and very narrow post processing skills. My friend still has his drum scanners, has been published in numerous magazines, so keep his words in mind.</p>

<p>Im not taking any of this as being rude. I will agree that I have no experience and most of it is self taught. I like the feedback. Im really just wanting to get better and deliver GREAT work. Im always looking at other people's work and comparing mine and EVERYTIME I find myself saying, "Mine doesn't look like that, their's is so crisp, and the color is perfect!"</p>

<p>I started with digital and just picked up doing film, Canon 1V, I have the negatives developed both black and white, the persons doing the developing are doing the post processing, they come back sharp. With digital it is up to you, especially if you taking images in raw, so no sharpened images until I convert, some lens images sharpen better then others and you have one of the best with the 24-70L, my favorite event lens. Once you learn photoshop and actions it does not take long to have prints ready for review,</p>

<p>I've had a class in college that was titled digital photography, but it was all photoshop. I've noticed that you have different editing options when shooting raw. I will just have to mess around with it and try to remember the layer adjustments and curves, I always use that for color correction but I didnt know that it will add sharpness. </p>

<p>Hi Brooke, This thread has gotten a lot of activity and a lot of good suggestions. When I have had problems in the past I have found Nadine's and Marc's comments and suggestions most helpful. Even when they were on somebody else's thread. You should be able to refer to page 57 in your camera manual to see how to select AF points in the creative modes, page 74 to see how to set the exposure compensation, and page 104 to read about custom function 4 (the * button that Nadine was referring to). Marc's advice to set up some controlled experiments and note differences is a great place to start.</p>

<p>"George", the problem I have with this post is no one is willing to offer this young lady some cold hard FACTS. No one is so called "Dissing" anyone. The postings are all kind and generous and the obvious purpose is for all of us to learn from each other. So having said that “George”, the comments were not directed at you they were intended to help Brooke. Instead of being irresponsible and not advising Brooke in the areas that would be most beneficial in my opinion you suggest that my advice is harsh. Are we more concerned about hurting or offending peoples egos and feelings or are we trying to provide this young lady with good sound advise that she can work with. So far I have only seen one other post suggesting the same. <br>

Brooke, you obviously have an interest in pursuing Wedding photography. I think that is wonderful and I encourage you to continue to pursue this interest. However the cold hard facts are simple, you will need to spend time perfecting your craft. There is no quick easy way to get experience. That takes time. If you try to do it alone I can guarantee that it will be painful and difficult than if you were to seek out a Professional Wedding Photographer willing to mentor you.<br>

Manuel, I will disagree with you. Her equipment is not sufficient to shoot weddings. At minimum you will need two camera bodies. Again irresponsible advice. I can guarantee that you will not see a professional wedding photographer using a Canon Rebel to shoot a wedding. That's not to say that the Rebel is not a respectable camera. A great camera to learn with. Hobbyist at best.<br>

</p>

<p>Leaving out the on-the-wall-focussed image, I get similar results in terms of sharpness when I use a Hoya Polariser on my AD-180mm/f2.8 (its Nikon, but the "unsharpness" looks so similar to your results), and there is no way of getting it sharp. With the same focus setting, removing the Polariser from the lens removes also the sharpness problem. So the Polfilter now is tabu.<br /> You should put the camera on firm ground (tripod) and make some systematic test:<br /> 1) focus manually versus auto<br /> 2) wide open versus smaller apertures<br /> 3) flash versus no flash (daylight)<br /> 4) diffuser versus no diffuser<br /> This makes 16 combinations for shooting. For sure then you have identified the problem (if this test does not reveal anything, then the lens should be sent in for inspection).</p>

<p>I second Gary's Opinion -- Lot's of activity and good suggestions. (So now I'm placing yet another comment. ;-) ) Anyhow, based on all this pictures I have seen on this thread (and my gut feeling), I'd work on your focusing techniques before anything else if I were you, period. You should read pages 56-58 in the Canon Xti Manual. Nadine really gives great advice, namely to work on one thing at a time. Have fun!</p>

<p>Well, I found a professional here in town to let me tag along this wedding season. So hopefully I can get some great experience, lots of learning, and hopefully the chance to really work on my shooting skills. <br>

John, I was thinking that about my camera. I have heard that it tends to produce grainy or noisy photos and with my focusing issues that isn't going to do anything but hurt me. Hopefully, in the near future, I will be able to upgrade.</p>