Canon or Nikon

aivarsusi

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

<p>MAC, BMW, Coca Cola, Nikon That's my story and I'm sticking to it!<br>

A much tougher choice would be Wrangler or Levis.</p>

<p>Seriously, you just can't ask that question without a huge list of what you are trying to accomplish with a camera. Then you may get a few serious replies with advice. Otherwise, there is only personal preference...for everyone else but you. </p>

<p>What do you want to do the most with your camera?</p>

<p> </p>

<p>"Photo.net is a <em>photography</em> forum. The most popular threads of the day show up on the stream on the home page. Nikonians don't actively seek out Canon threads, and vice versa."</p>

<p>Well try dpreview and POTN (Canon's website), fm ...the same thing happens..</p>

<p>The ONE consideration for potential advantage of canon over nikon is the image stabilized canon supertelephoto lenses are substantially less costly-- like, $2,000 less for a Canon 500mm-- than the nikon. Apart from that, no "diff" to me.</p>

<p>Yeah....lots of bait taken. A bit more from me, as I struggled with this issue too.<br>

I also have a confession...I am taking delivery of a 6 mth old, as new, D300 today. My first digital SLR. I bought this one for AU$1600 on eBay. That's US$1000, after exchange rate adj. A bargain. A new D90 is AU$1400. I have used a friends D300 and its an absolute jewel...magnesium body coated with grippy soft rubber and weather proof. It really is a mini D3.<br>

With an open mind I looked at the 50D and the 5D2. I did not get that fit-like-a glove, really well made feeling. It would have cost me another AU$4k in lenses as well. Nah! In the end I seriously considered a D700, but they are still AU$4200 here. I also have lots of fast manual and AF Nikon glass which I have carefully collected over the years (since 1978) and have used them all on my F4s, FM2 and FE2. All fully backwards and forwards compatible. I can use them all on the D300. When I can afford it I will trade up to the D700 and then I'm set. I cannot see me needing any more resoltion than that. I do mostly street and landscape, and rarely print bigger than A4, so outright pixel density and even fast auto focus are not critical, but a big, bright, 100% viewfinder is.<br>

I am always tempted by Canon. I have bought them in the past. But this is why I stick to Nikon: To my mind, preservation of investment, beauty of design, and quality of construction a paramount. My manual Nikons (above) are masterpieces and you get the same feeling from holding an "instrument" as you get from holding a Leica, Hasselblad or Rollei. Its a very personal thing.<br>

My sons girlfriend works at our big daily newspaper. They have been using 1D's since going digital. They changed their staff cameras to Nikon when the D3 came out. She said all the older photogs seemed to be very happy and the newer ones did not understand why. One of the older ones took a new guy into the gear room and there were hundreds of Nikkor lenses there. He said he could now use all this great gear again. Another thing...the photogs would literally wear out a 1D in six months...all battered and scratched. He showed him the D3's...all about 18 months old. Most were still like new. That comes from respect for the tool you use.<br>

In terms of image quality, there is nothing between Canon and Nikon. So it boils down to subjective issues. My advice to Aivar is this: Work out what body you can afford in both Canon and Nikon. Then go to a big store and ask to feel both in your hands. See which suits you and feels right. Then make your decision, buy two good lenses and be content. Then let every one else continue the arguing.<br>

Steve</p>

<p> </p>