Is buying from EBay a good idea?

<p >Well, I got my heart set on buying a Nikon D90 with the 18-105 kit lens. My question is; is it safe to buy one of these cameras off of EBay from a private buyer or should I just pay the extra money and find the best deal from a reputable online retailer? This is going to be my first dSLR and I want it to be under warranty. </p>

<p >Also, is buying other misc. camera equipment from Ebay a good idea (batteries, filters, ect. ) or should I just avoid it? </p>

<p>Avoid it, if you're buying new equipment. VERY few actual Nikon dealers will be selling you a new D90 <em>with a viable warranty</em> at or below the prices that you see at Adorama, B&H, Amazon, etc. If you're a Costco member, you can get a pretty good deal there, too, and get a real warranty.<br /><br />Most of the accessory packages you see on eBay are pointless junk, include counterfeit SD cards, etc. Work with a real dealer - it's ultimately <em>less</em> expensive.<br /><br />Whatever you do, stay away from the too-low-to-be-true web prices that trace back to Brooklyn-based dealers. If you're not dealing with the big dealers, use this web site:<br /><br /> <a href="http://www.resellerratings.com">www.resellerratings.com</a><br /><br />to research the vendor, first. You'd be amazed at the scams out there. Have fun with the new camera, and enjoy the peace of mind that comes from not having to wonder if you're getting a real warranty.</p>

<p>Jesse,<br>

If your careful who you deal with on the big acution site, yes.<br>

I've bought and sold many, many things on ebay incluiding my D700, and other items.<br>

Read over the feedback ratings etc. Usually, if a deal is too good to be true, it probably is.<br>

And make sure in the descriptiosn you are buying USA items, and not grey market.</p>

<p>It depends on who you deal with on eBay. There are some reputable dealers who sell stuff there, like Henry's in Canada. Buying from private buyers is always a coin toss, and forget about a warranty. I would go with one of the well known dealers on line (that's well known in the positive sense, not scam outfits like Broadway Photo.) There is a good selection of used cameras and accesories at KEH (<a href="http://www.keh.com">www.keh.com</a>). I have had excellent results with them over the years.</p>

<p>As the others have stated, tread carefully when you buy from the bay. But there are very good sellers out there. Just do your research.</p>

<p>Here is a list of sellers on the bay that I recommend from experience: Woodmere Camera, Quality Camera, Shutterblade.</p>

<p>And KEH is a great source as well.</p>

<p>You don't buy anything from eBay. You buy from people (some of whom are dealers, branches of retail organisations etc) that happen to use eBay as a route to market. Which means that some will be good and some bad and whatever experience other people have had does not act as an accurate forecast of what it would be like for you. </p>

<p>The uncertainty is compounded by a feedback system that makes Photo.net's rating system look like a model of innocent propriety. </p>

<p>If you know the organisation there's no more or less reason to buy from them this way than over the counter. I've bought on eBay from Calumet and from a few people that I know deal quite extensively in Manfrotto tripods, or Bronica stuff and will tell the truth on condition. I can see how someone who is getting goods though regular sources <em><strong>could</strong></em> sell cheaper through eBay /online than if they had a shop. What would bother me on new gear though is whether the goods were imported correctly and whether you find out that its been smuggled in from Asia at the point of needing warranty service. Outside of dealing with organisations that you already know are solid citizens that you might well deal with OTC, I don't think there's any advice one can give that totally eliminates risk.</p>

<p>Jesse, you mentioned a 'private buyer' so I was thinking you meant you were looking at a used camera. If so, that usually means no warranty so proceed at your own risk. KEH also sells used cameras and has an excellent return policy. You might not be so lucky with an auction seller.</p>

<p>Definitely check out their return policy and as others have said, look at the feedback. If you can, check out prior sales of the same merchandise to see what others have paid for it.</p>

<p>it is best to avoid buying new equipment from ebay even if the price seems to be very good. a reputable online store is much better. however, if you happen to be very knowledeable about the system you are buying into, good secondhand purchases can be made through ebay from time to time. the prices are not always good. in fact, on some items they are over inflated because of demand. but items finishing on weekdays and from reputable private sellers could be had for a bargain at times. for expensive items always start a dialogue with the seller.</p>

<p>Jesse: I've completed 127 buy and sell photo equipment transactions on eBay, since 1999. Most were good. A few sellers were bad, but I always got my money back. A couple of times I had to use eBay's resolution service for that, and they helped me get my money back. I've never had a negative feedback as a seller, because I'm honest and my equipment is always as described. There are many honest sellers, but probably many shoddy ones, too. Here are a few suggestions. 1. Only buy from those who have 100% or 99% feedback, high numbers of feedback and a fairly long history. 2. Next, look for a warranty or guarantee on the item within the description, or a return policy. 3. Only buy if you can see an actual photo of the item. 4. Cameta, Henry's, Robert's and major manufacturer's stores (Olympus, Kodak) have all been good for me. 5. Generally, items that are getting a lot of bids indicate that other savvy bidders know what they're doing. 6. Avoid "As Is" or "No return" items. Also, descriptions with "I don't know anything about photography,..." If all of this is worth it, you could have good eBay experiences. </p>