Montreal - February weekend?

paul_taylor2

<p>My wife's brother is the most obnoxious person on earth. And he is coming to town in mid-February. <br>

<em>I'm outta here!!!!</em><br>

Never have I been to Montreal and I think that now is the time. I just want to come to town, have some great food - where the locals eat, drink some wine, and take a few pictures. <br>

I live near Buffalo, NY, where weather is never a reason to stay in. Am I crazy to think that the weather will be worse in your fair city? Any thoughts on where to eat and what to see? Recommeded to leave the car at one of the outlying train stations, and rely on the underground to get around? Are tripods allowed in your churches and other public buildings (not during services, of course)?<br>

Your thoughts will be welcomed.</p>

<p>oh well, i've been lurking in the shadows hoping to learn something new, but i see no takers...<br /><br />the old port. you shouldn't have big problems parking right there; take 720 (autoroute ville-marie) all the way down. then just walk up and down st-paul a couple of times, go over the entire crêpe menu chez suzette, at the corner of saint-jean-baptiste, and when you're full of good thoughts, cross over to créme de la créme for a night cap :)<br /><br />(i had a cute picture for you at this point, but i only had half an hour to try and embed it, sorry, i had to give up after the seventh edit... ;))<br /><br />many other restaurants along saint-paul and in place jacques-cartier--you won't go hungry :)<br /><br />snow-covered cobblestones of the old town always do it for me; in fact, i don't think montreal is prettier any other season. when you freeze too much to your liking, check out notre-dame from the inside, quite interesting... and then, the chinese tea room next door, in rue saint-sulpice, for your favourite high mountain oolong (bring some home, too)<br /><br />can't help you with the tripod though--never used one in twenty-five years<br /><br />ps. i have never lived there, only visited, so i still hope i might learn something from this thread</p>

<p>parking is not so bad... if you read french.<br>

if you watch the signs on rue del la commune (waterfront in the old port) you can get away with not paying a dime for parking. you might have to move the car once or twice to the other side of the street. park down towards mcgill. between rue de port and st. pierre. you have to move your car though if there's heavy snow... the annoying sirens you here at night are the plows saying move the car or it gets towed. usually they just tow it a block or two away so don't get to worried should it happen. you'll get a ticket and they drop it a block or two away.<br>

kam fung (on saint urbain) for dim sum... go early on the weekend!<br>

pho bang new york (saint laurent) for cheap pho (blocks away from the old port)<br>

you must eat at au pied du couchon (duluth off of st denis) if you really want to eat with the locals. foie heaven! if you can't get there then joe beef (down on notre dame in little burgundy) is another local fave.<br>

i have a flat on rue st paul in the old port and the sushi joint under us is pretty good too... tokyo sushi. 185 rue st paul ouest.<br>

make sure you know the days of the week au francais and parking will be a breeze!</p>

<p>the old port is beautiful in the winter but the obvious touristy thing can get tiring. try and refrain from eating too much don there as it's NOT where local go to eat (read=tourist traps). down rue st paul ouest (towards mcgill) there is a very small french deli on the south side of the street that can be quite an experience on a sunday afternoon. cramped, meat and cheese and very french!</p>

<p>Many thanks to you both for your responses.<br>

I hesitate to drive into the city due to the congestion and expense of parking. When in Toronto, I usually park at one of the train stations along the QEW, and train it into Union Station. Does Montreal benefit by such park-and-ride locations as well?</p>

<p>jon would certainly have more accurate information, but i have yet to see congestion around the old town (of course, you may want to stay away from the "tiring touristy thing" altogether ;))</p>

<p>true, expense is another matter, but it's still easier to swallow than manhattan... hmmm... hold on... how about you pick me up in toronto and we split the parking?<br>

<br />:)<br>

<br />place d'armes should work for subway access. couldn't find park 'n' ride here though, perhaps you will: <a href="http://www.stm.info/english/info/a-plans.htm">http://www.stm.info/english/info/a-plans.htm</a></p>

<p>via from toronto? drops you right downtown by the bell center (in case you want to see the habs beat up the leafs one night). easy torontonian's... just a joke<br>

really though, parking is not a problem. try the spots i mentioned (shhh local secret). auto route ville marie actually takes you right downtown (under the city) and the congestion is not tooo bad. i'll try and remember the exit and post it later (bonsecours or something like that).<br>

like i mentioned, just know the days of the week in french and your good. </p>