How to shoot this kind of picture?

eyob_kidanmariam

<p>I would like to shoot new born this type of picture and would like to achieve that without the use of post processing like photoshoping. I have three strobe lights from Alien Bees and a brown background. I think I will need a black backgroud to achieve the effect in this shot. Please let me know what I need and the technique I will need to use.<br>

Click here to see the picture I am tryig to mimic - http://www.heatherrivlin.com/index2.php?v=v1</p>

<p>These are all black and white pictures, but they are all light differently. Your question is too broad.</p>

<p>There's back lit, split lit shots; a shot that looks like it was from a beauty dish, another from a large softbox. Also there's a shot that looks like a starfish is being used. I forget who makes that-- Larson? You aren't asking a question, you are asking for a whole lighting class.</p>

<p>I Believe that Heather is a natural light photographer like myself. In the begining I bought all the light set up also but soon realized that I can achieve beautiful natural lighting with window light. if you want to look on my site at www.elainemariephotography.net and go to the client proofing under my maternity birth and babies. All of these are done with natural light either inside or out. The ballerina baby under the very last gallery on the page baby Kyleena were done outside on their front porch with a black piece of velvet hung in the background.The ones with her parents were done on their couch in a very dark room with only one window light but a very fast lens. Anyway not sure if this is the same look you are after but none of my pics use flash except for inside wedding receptions or dark church weddings.<br>

Elaine</p>

<p> You can tell something about how a picture is lit by reading the catchlights in the subject's eyes. But this can also be done simply, without any lighting at all, by posing your subject on the threshold of a doorframe that preferably faces north, or is at least shaded. You may have to block the window(s) inside with blankets to dim the background enough.<br>

It's an old trick used by documentarians and available light street shooters. Here's an example I found on Flickr:</p>

<p> United We Stand

<p> Use your light meter to gain some idea of the light ratios that make this work. Every commercial photographer should know the ratios and how to use them.</p>

<p> </p>

<p>She uses a combination of studio light and some natural light; I know her from another board. That photo is taken with studio light.</p>

<p>To achieve this affect, you need a black background, and you can use either a strobe or natural light. Strobes will give you a crisp sharpness that you can't always get from natural light. I use a strobe for 95% of my newborn work, you can check out my photos at tanaminnick.com.</p>

<p>Almost all digital photos need just a little bit of polishing up afterward. I usually do a little curves and sharpening to all of my photos.</p>

<p> </p>

<p>I don't see "a photo" or a reference to "a photo". I see a slide show of several photos :-)</p>

<p>Heather is awesome, and I watched her video. She definitely uses strobes. Not to mention, there is a shot where if she wasn't using a starfish, then she flagged of another modifer to a pie-slice shaped light source.</p>

<p>In her video she is using a softbox and reflector. The subjects are never that far from the background, and it's easy enough to save a levels action in PS to apply to all your pictures of that type. That way you can clip the background into black in a second.</p>

<p>The high key photos are probably done the same, w/ a levels layer clipping the background into white. I know you said you don't want to post process, but a 1 second action is most likely used here-- so is life.</p>

<p>Again, that's just the basics-- she mixes up her lighting.</p>

<p>W. Eugene Smith said it best -<br>

"What's the best type of light? Why that would be available light...<br /> and by available light I mean any damn light that is available." </p>

<p>If all you have is sunlight then you make to with that but it is silly to think that sunlight is the "best" light for every situation. In the midwest in the winter months sunlight is the worst light I can imagine for people photography.</p>

<p>I love that quote! I get a kick out of photographers that say they use natural light only because they think it's somehow better. I use natural light on occasion, but I prefer the control and ease of strobes. Plus the fact that you don't have to worry if it's a dark dreary stormy day, or of the sun is going in and out and in and out every 5 minutes, or when the sun sets. Like I said, I use both, and I'll bet you can't tell which photos on my website are lit with flash, and which are natural light. A good photographer should be able to mimic either light.</p>

<p>This is a very interesting thread. I was wondering for those who shoot newborns and children, what lens do you find the most useful for these occasions? I have a Canon 5D. I am currently renting lenses for it until I decide what to buy. I'd love to hear what lenses you all use when shooting babies.<br>

Also, I have heard experienced photographers say that putting a baby near a window that is north facing will product nice results. But I am confused as to which direction you position the baby? Is the baby to be facing north as well, or would you put the baby parallel to the window for best results? </p>

<p>I am not sure which image you were referring to in the initial post, but I can tell you that almost all of my work is studio, and I do not own a starfish ;)<br>

I work with a softbox and a reflector at all times. My post processing involves a black and white conversion, and then a slight curves adjustment to get the midtones where I like them. I sharpen, and voila. :) <br>

My high key isn't post processed, it is lit to blow out the background. It is achieved using three lights, two of which are on the background. My background meters 3 stops over my main, and hence blows out to a crisp white. <br>

There just isn't enough time in the day to fiddle in PS to achieve something you can get with the proper exposure :)</p>