How much do you charge if print at mpix or other places?

a_b84

<p>I've been researching different online printing services and it seems mpix has many positives feedback. I just wonder does mpix print their company name on the back of each photo like walmart or walgreens? At what price you think it's reasonable to charge client if we print at mpix (size 4x6)</p>

<p>When I give my clients the quote for photos, albums, etc. I always include the value of the time I will spend "working" on their photos. So, for your example, I would charge about $3 - $5 depending on the package. Mpix uses Kodak paper so no, the company name does not appear. That is one reason why I use them exclusively..</p>

<p>MPIX leaves you with clean prints. No worries there. <br /><br />As for what you can or should charge - there are too many other factors for there to be a simple answer. Are the prints being sold in connection with a service for which you've already charged (say, event coverage, or a sitting fee)? Print prices aren't settled in a vacuum, but are part of the big picture of how you relate to your client and the nature of what else you're doing for them. <br /><br />On a general note, I've had very good luck with MPIX, and with their sister pro lab, Millers.</p>

<p>I shoot mainly HS sports as well as some cycling and rowing. I charge $5 for a 4x6. Some cmpanies will charge double that. Some shots are worth it , others not.<br>

What are you shooting, who/what is the client or event. How good are you photos. Anything unique, ie your style, about them?. If so, charge more than $5.<br>

Some photogs do not even sell 4x6's but start at 5x7 & go up. Just 'ggogle' some sights with photos llike yours and see what they are charging. I do that all the time.<br>

I just started with a site on Zenfolio and printing by MPIX. So far , so good, but have had only 6 or so orders to process.</p>

<p>>> At what price you think it's reasonable to charge client if we print at mpix (size 4x6) >><br /> <br /> It's mostly what's on that 4x6 that's of value, no? If I go to a lawyer and he writes up a legal document, he's not going to base his fee on how much the paper cost. If I go to a doctor and get a shot, he's not going to base the office visit fee on how much the medicine costs. If I buy a painting from an artist, he doesn't charge me based on how much his oil paints cost. Monte Zucker, among others, charged the same for a 4x5 as well as an 11x14, So the question is really, "what price do you think is reasonable to charge your client for your work?"</p>

<p>At seminars, speakers often preach that we're photographers, not paper salespeople, so why not charge the same for an 8 x 10 that you charge for a 4 x 6? It's the image on that paper that matters, not the paper.<br>

But, when the photograph has Walgreen's... printed on the back, you do invite people to question you.<br>

I don't know how your business is set up, but you need to be compensated for your time as well as fo the print. That's why when someone calls me asking the cost of an 8 x 10, I explain that they can't just by an 8 x 10 - there's a session that comes with that.</p>

<p>No offense people but there's a reason why nobody sells many prints these days. $5 for a 4x6? Really? I understand our time in post is worth something but wow. Besides, after the PP you don't need to do anything except check your bank account if you're set up that way.</p>

<p>I've compared photos from a couple of labs to those puked out by a Wal-Mart kiosk which cost 19 cents. I'm hard pressed to tell the difference. And the print I'm looking at now doesn't say Wal-Mart on it anywhere unless they changed their name from Fuji.</p>

<p><em>No offense people but there's a reason why nobody sells many prints these days. $5 for a 4x6? Really?</em><br>

<em></em><br>

Yes really, I charge three times that amount for a 4x6 and my reprint sales are pretty OK. It depends alot on your business model. There was a time when a studio would charge next to nothin' to shoot the wedding because they made out so well with reprint sales. Next December take a look at what the local malls charge for a 5x7 of your kid with Santa printed on a crummy inkjet portable printer.</p>

There is a HUGE difference between the walmart kiosk and mpix. Just because they use a good brand of paper doesn't

mean the techs know what they are doing. What about color adjustment and calibrating the printers? I never have

complaints about millers/mpix. I wouldn't trust walmart with anything more than snapshots with a cheapo point and shoot. I

wouldn't charge $15 for a 4x6. Maybe 3-5 depending on how many they buy, but I'm also not as good as the high end

photographers. I agree that it isn't the cost of the paper but the work on the paper, but don't underestimate the importance

of a competent print tech.

<p>RT's post reminds me of the time a groom-to-be told me the way he sees it, Volkswagon and Mercedes were made from the same parts, reasoning why should he pay for a Mercedes when he could buy a Volkswagon.<br /> <br /> At the time, we were sitting in his apartment, which was a tiny apartment tucked into a basement. But to be fair, it was made of sheet rock, timber and paint, same stuff a penthouse apartment on Park Avenue is made out of, so what's the difference, right?</p>

<p>Keep in mind the time you put into taking the photos, editing the photos and submitting them to get printed. Sure if you want to just give them a dvd of the edited jpegs you can but that doesnt say anything for you as far as the business aspect of it. There is something special about giving nice prints of your hard work to a client. If you put the time into having the pics edited, color adjusted and printed from Mpix you should charge a fee. Usually I include the price of the prints in my wedding packages. Granted I dont charge $5 a photo but for I would say its about $2 a photo for prints in my packages. I only look to make a small fee for the prints. But as you become an accomplished wedding photographer you should charge more for quality purposes. I have seen people who charge $3000 for a wedding with all the pics on a dvd and they are terrible in quality. Why not charge $3200 including 200 prints from Mpix. Keep in mind you are gonna ask for compensation for whatever you think your worth. If your selling reprints for $5 thats actually cheap considering you most likely give them the digital files and they prefer using you to get them as opposed to going to walmart cuz they know the quality is better.</p>

<p>I think i'll go with your idea Chris.<br>

I'm looking for a script that I can upload photos with username and password. So client can access to it and take a look at their photos, pick the one that they want to print. Please let me know if you've found one.<br>

Thank you</p>