A warped bellows...

ben_wickerham

<p>I'm curious how a warped bellows would affect image quality, if at all? The camera is for sale (a Calumet) and it seems the bellows was slightly folded, so it is out of its normal 'accordion' shape. It isn't terrible, and if there are no leaks, will this matter? Also, how easy is it to find a replacement Calumet 4x5 bellows? Thanks ahead of time!</p>

<p>Hi, Ben.<br>

First of all, the warpage may not affect things at all as long as it doesn't protrude into the light path, You are going to have to look inside and view this situation with the camera at all movement positions. If it looks like the bellows is in the way, you may be in trouble. Also, you need to check for light leaks by using about a 60 watt light bulb inside as you view each pleat in a very darkened room. If you see any poinpoints, you've got leaks. If they are tiny, you can easily get by with making your exposures by draping the camera with your dark cloth before removing the darkslide for the shot, then reversing the process.<br>

Secondly, Calumet marketed several different view camera bodies. If it is one of the old Gray or Black 400 series, I think you can still get replacement bellows form Calumet service (1-800-Calumet). Call Jose there for details. I got a replacement for the most expensive WA version for my architectural camera a couple of years ago. If my memory is right, it was still under $100 and I replaced it myself. With installation, there would be a service fee on top of whichever bellows you need.<br>

If, however, your camera is one of those that interchanges lensboards and backs with the Cambo cameras, those bellows are interchangable as well and can often be found quite reasonbly on eBay. That style also featured a bag bellows as an accessory for extreme movements with wide angle lenses on the recessed lens boards. There was also a long bellows for closeups, and a third standard and extension rails to combine more than one bellows for extreme closeups.<br>

Hope this helps.<br>

Good Luck,<br>

Tim</p>