What made you become a wedding photographer?

betty_lowrey

<p>Before I did this full time I worked a horrific desk job. I hated it with every fiber of my being. I decided to take the plunge and give it a whirl after I was unceremoniously "fired" from this desk job (I guess they got sick of me surfing photography sites at work! LOL). So, what led you to this job?</p>

<p>Weddings were part of the package one had to do at the time....and maybe still are, if you are to make enough money to get a start. <br>

I don't like that things are this way, but for many people they are.<br>

Years later, when I could afford to <strong>not</strong> do them....I didn't. But gradually found I missed them in some ways and so went back to doing some, but I was choosey about which ones.....Bob</p>

<p>Quite by accident actually. My wifes cousin was getting married in Rome, Italy and we went over to represent the Canadian branch of the family. To make a long sad story short, the pro they had hired messed up big time. Arrived late, had camera problems and no back-up, messed up the lighting at the church and on and on. </p>

<p>Being an long time avid photographer I naturally had my film kit with me. So as it turned out my shots taken as I wondered around being the annoying relative with a camera (they don't seem to have as many point and shot cameras in every Grandma's hand over there) were the only useable photos they received of their special day. </p>

<p>One thing lead to another, another relative asked me, I agreed, and so on and so on... After all, HOW HARD could it be? What did I know? Well, you live and hopefully...you learn.</p>

<p> </p>

<p>I started out taking portraits for family and friends, won several awards for my portraits, and people started to ask me to photograph their weddings.</p>

<p>They still do. Without any advertising or website, I still do 25-30 weddings a year by word of mouth. 2009 is nearly full and bookings are coming in for 1020. I'm no longer cheap and I get to travel all over Aus. doing something I love.</p>

<p>Previously I was a fulltime musician, and believe me being the photographer is much easier then being in the band! </p>

<p>I was a sports photagrapher. My wife had a friend who was a "professional" she destroyed my wedding photos. She used a rebel xt (great camera) no 2.8 glass oh, and Pop-up flash! The pics were orange, poses and crops were terrible. Many were blown out, She shot on the "green Box" mode. She was very unprofessional. Photos were processed badly, and printed at Sams Club. I decided then and there to put sports on the back burner and learn weddings. I don't want anyone to have the experiance that I had.</p>

<p>I went after weddings on purpose. I like that they are "real" (from a certain point of view), as opposed to studio work. I love street photography, because it's real, but it's very dangerous, and I'm not that forward. At a wedding, you are expected to shoot real emotion, and it's unlikely that your camera will get smashed on the pavement. I really love the emotion of weddings. You get happy, sad, angry, frustrated, and very VERY drunk people, all performing willingly.</p>

<p>I prefer it to all other types of paid photography, and photography is just what I have always done.</p>

<p>I shot stock for a few years and oneone had seen some of my people shots. THeir Phogorapher backed out at the lst minutre and they asked if I could do it. They KNEW I had nver done a weddings but said no proble. It came out great, and they recommended me to a few others and it just happened. I do NOT shoot full time as I LOVE my real job ( it has medical benefits)</p>

<p>I had always toyed with photography - ever since my first Kodak Brownie Starmite in the early '60s and then the very kool Polaroid 600s. I was a photography minor in college, and was able to use that experience as a step into corporate level technical/scientific photography. A co-worker asked if I'd ever photographed weddings to which I replied 'no', but that I'd observed enough to know what NOT to do. She asked if I'd be willing to shoot hers - which I did for cost - and found that I really enjoyed working for and with brides. My wife and I had already started a small part-time commercial photography business (jewelry/tabletop/catalogue work), and decided to add social/event photography to the mix - we've been at it ever since. I took a brief sabatical of about 7 years when I just got tired of dealing with labs, proofs, negatives, and making albums. But we got back into it with the advent of acceptable digital imaging back around 2000 with a pair of Kodak/Nikon DCS 315s - and have not looked back. Like an earlier poster, we don't advertise, only work on referrals, and are comfortably booked through '09 and into '10 --Rich</p>

<p>I love nature photography. I found that shooting weddings could pay for those expensive cameras and huge 600mm lenses! Also, as a 5 year old child I had a blast with my dad playing in the darkroom. I thought it was magical seeing a piece of paper come to life.</p>

<p>It's very, very difficult to make a living as a photographer. But there are plenty of weddings each season and if you're good at what you do, and personable, the demand for your services will be there. I see it as a way of doing something I love, and loving what I do has become more and more important as I've grown older. I believe weddings create endless possibilities to stretch ourselves to the limit, to improve, to be inventive and to shine. It's also quite a competitive field, which I like. </p>

<p>George. I don't believe you when you say you do this purely to pay the bills. I think your passion shines through in so many ways.</p>

<p>I heard that if you get a good camera it is easy and you can make lots of money.<br>

LOL. Not really.<br>

I just love people, especially happy people. A wedding is the perfect opportunity to be a portrait, fine art, photojournalistic, commercial, etc. photographer all in the same day.<br>

You have to really enjoy weddings. They all have similar elements and are sometimes very repetitive in those elements, but the challenge is to shoot the same things and make each one look completely different. You will see many of the same colors, hear a lot of the same music, taste the same food, and hear the same words, but you will meet a lot of really fun people and spend the day having a good time with them.<br>

Weddings are a very special event. The idea of marriage has somehow been very distorted in our culture. Marriage has been made to be a very difficult and even an easily disposable relationship. So, obviously it helps if you believe marriage is a good thing. Your attitude on that day will be of utmost importance in executing the responsibility of photographer.<br>

There will be generations of people who will depend on the job you did that day - people who haven't even been born yet! Think about that. Is that not a compelling reason to shoot weddings?<br>

Lou</p>