Artic Foxes and Polar Bears--Lenses Recommendations and Tips

amy_wilson

<p>Hi Guys, Happy new Year! I will be going to photograph artic foxes and polar bears. I will be on snowmobiles. Can anyone share their expeirences and tips? <br>

I will bring a 1ds Mark III and 1d Mark III. Lens wise, I will be bringing the 24-105, 70-200, 300/f2.8 (amd lots of batteries). Question is should I also bring the 100-400 and/or 500? Will I get to use them much? Any other tips? <br>

Thanks</p>

<p>hopefully by snowmobile you mean a huge tundra buggy that seats about 10 or more people with a cabin and not a little machine you straddle and can stand on. you will need very long range lenses (400 - 600mm) since neither animal is bound to let you get very close.<br>

the polar bear might let you get close but only if you are on it's lunch menu.</p>

<p>If you don't know how close the animals are prior to the trip, I think it'd be better to take 24-105mm, 100-400mm, 500mm. The 300mm would be an option, if you have room, or if you think it'd better to have it. Otherwise, with the above selection, you cover the range from 24mm to 500mm, and with lightest load possible for that covered range.</p>

<p>I would not be on the ground near a polar bear! I hope that you are in a Tundra buggy.</p>

<p>I also think the 24-105, 100-400, and 500 will be the best combination. Bring a 1.4x just in case. I've never looked into taking one of these trips so I don't know if beanbags or tripods or both are required, but don't forget your support.</p>

<p>I was just up there in Nov (at Churchill) on the Tundra Buggies. I had everything from a 24mm to 420 (300mm with a 1.4x). I also used all of those focal ranges. If you have a 500mm I'd bring it. There were several bears a ways off and I would have liked the reach. Then there were bears standing right next to us that filled the frame at 24mm's.<br>

Tha Arctic foxes are expecially small so you'll want a long lens for them. There are also sort of hyper if they are on the move, so faster is better. If you really are on snowmachines (that you strattle it will be quite the challenge!).</p><div>00S6mU-105125784.jpg.64dc23363d09dd90c8e4412fb48be8d1.jpg</div>

<p>"If shooting from a snow mobile and not a tundra buggy with polar bears the 100-400 and/or 500mm lens would be helpful. As would a <strong><em>.30-06</em> </strong> in case there are any really close encounters."</p>

<p>For polar bears, the caliber had better start with a 4 (45-70, 416 rigby) or bring a very slow friend.<br>

For lens, 500mm or longer. Have fun, be safe, and I hope you are in a tundra buggy.</p>