LF Checklist (prior to going out)

Howdy LF Friends!

Hope everyone had a nice holiday...

I was wondering if any of y'all have made a 'typed' CHECKLIST to

follow, prior to going out on a shoot, either a fun type shoot or

work related. I realize, the architectural guys are going to have

possibly a greater or extended list than maybe a landscape shooter.

Anyone care to share a tried and proven checklist? If the landscape

shooters include a handheld GPS, or bug spray, weather related items,

etc..., thats great info for the list. I'd really like to see both

sides of the issue, archectechtural and landscape if possible.

I had thought about starting to type out some type of checklist as if

one item is forgotten, it can ruin the entire experience. I think my

younger days in the scouts has taught me to 'Be Prepared', and that

was around 35 years ago...

Anyone care to share a good story of a forgotten item?

Thanks guys!

Hi Miles

Nobody is perfect: My extended list of forgotten items: Exposer Meters, 9x12cm rollfilm back, I/R Filters, rail extension, short bellows/long bellows,readyload holders, pola holders, B/W films, colour films etc.

I have of course something forgotten on this list.

But from time to time I go out just with one lens and one camera and 6 filmholders only almost nothing it is a good drill.

Its cold reduce it to the max!

Hi Miles,

I went to Cyprus recently, taking 35mm and 6x7 bodies and lenses to save the weight of my LF stuff, but I was appalled at how much my kit weighed, even after I had disccarded what I thought to be superfluous items. As I was taking some luggage out with me for relatives who were already over there, I had no choice but to cut back even further on the weight of my own cases.

I cut filters to a minimum (2), took only three lenses, took all the electronic gubbins of the 6x7 and refitted the lighter mechanical options, changed a heavy double cable release for a shortened airbulb release, took one meter instead of two and took all of the film out of the cardboard containers and fitted it snugly into a largish bumbag that I could carry on me. Success! Weight down to an acceptable level - just.

In all the excitement I left the bumbag at home. B&W rollfilm is hard to find in Cyprus.

Neil.

I, too, try to keep things simple. If I know I'm going out tomorrow, I get organized tonight, so that all I have to do is pick up the apron, camera bag and tripod and go out to the car, which is possible with the essential cuppa joe in one hand. I keep equipment simple -- no more than 2 lenses, and I even try to choose between the 4x5 and the 8x10 rather than taking both (the worst part is the two tripods).

In addition, I try to keep all my stuff together. I have a cloth carpenter's apron on which I string my spot meter, and have a small Lowe belt bag (too small to fit 4x5 holders) into which goes lens tissue and cleaner, viewing filter, reading glasses, pad of Post-Its (for marking holders for +1 development, etc.), Locktite for cable release attachment, bubble level, small notebook and pen, small jeweler's screwdriver, Swiss Army knife, and anything else small that I think I'll need and will fit. Film holders, field camera, and two lenses go in the camera bag (depending on number of film holders I can sometimes get the apron and belt bag in there, too), along with folded dark cloth, and two rain-proof plastic garbage bags. If it's the 8x10, it gets assembled, lens in, and placed in the back of the van wedged against the seat.

I keep all this stuff together all the time, and get duplicates of anything useful for everyday use, which means in practice the thing I really need when I get out in the field is the thing I took out of the bag the other day and forgot to put back in. Oh well, nobody's perfect.

Hope this helps, but for me, a checklist would be a hopeless nuisance and true reminder of all the things I'd forgotten. And for me, checklists always seem to get LONGER...

Bruce

Made a checklist. Forgot where I put it. Can't remember a trip where I didn't get bit with some small item. Last time it was the 40.5-43mm step-up ring. Worst part was it actually was with me but wrapped up with a different lens. Did forget the tripod once but rested the cam on a lunchbox cooler and shot anyway. Almost anything can get worked around except the spot meter. Or film. One trip I didn't have a cable release! Shot everything with the old Fuji 150 6.3 in the Seikosha that has the self timer function. One of these days I'll get my act together.....or not.

Yikes, my worst forgotten items have been:

-Watch/timer (had to count 10 minutes out with my metronome-ouch!)

-Spot meter (luckily, I had my incident meter as a backup)

-Lens

-Reciprocity chart

-Dark cloth (used my t-shirt and the mosquitoes loved it. Perhaps my jeans would have been darker!)

-Mosquito repellant

-Dust kit (air, "orange" cloth, etc.)

Besides the things mentioned above, I take out:

a) A compass for working out what time of the day and year a subject will be best displayed.

b) A GPS so that I can find the subject again in a few years if needed

c) A note pad and pen for taking notes.

d) If I expect to hike some distance, I'll take an EPIRB (emergency satelite beacon), and other surival gear, plus water.

e) A spirit level.

f) A hat

Graeme

Miles,

I started using a palm pilot program called Checklist Lite for wedding photography. It's a regular checklist except that as you check items off, they disappear. they can all be unchecked for the next use. I started out using this for large format & medium format, but it got to be too much trouble. If I keep everything in it's assigned cubbyhole in the pack, a quick scan usually turns up missing items. That said, I most frequently forget my light meter because it's in the other bag. With large format shooting, I'm not willing to guess at my exposures at $5.50 per pop (cost + processing), so I'll just enjoy where I happen to be. With medium format, cost per shot is a lot less & I've had a few keepers this way.