AF500fgz - Good flash and how much would you pay for it?

jemal.yarbrough

<p>That's my question. Someone is selling one, and I'm thinking of picking it up as a third flash if I can get it cheap enough. I already have the AF560 and 360, so this really would be just a third flash for me to start learning lighting. Is it worth it? And is it worth more than 50.00 bucks or so?</p>

<p>Sometimes if you use multiple pieces of equipment it is helpful to have more than one of the same kind. I don't know about those particular models of strobes. You can do a lot with two flashes. In many setups, that third or fourth light will just be some kind of accent (hair light/backdrop accent). Are you doing okay with two-point lighting? You can learn lighting without a third flash. Two off-camera flashes should cover a strong base of a lighting kit. Probably can handle 90% of common situations easily.</p>

<p>Yemal, this is not a good choice if you want to use the flash with a body newer than the Pentax DS since the AF500FTZ does NOT understand P-TTL and has NO auto modes. So you are basically left with manual settings which every other older flash could do even or much better. Look somewhere else...., this flash was good with analog TTL and film bodies and with the Pentax *istD/DL/DS only.</p>

<p> </p>

<p>I bought one last week for a similar reason, but don't have any other flashes other than an ancient AF160 from my ME Super. You probably are not planning on using the AF500 on-camera, which is good, as it does not support P-TTL. It's feature set best matches the *ist cameras, and the more recent film cameras. The manual is available from <a>Pentax</a> , so you can see the full listing of capabilities. The strobe setting seems kind of interesting, as it allows up to 9 flashes in a row at speeds of 1 to 20 Hz, but I haven't played with that yet. It won't work with the Pentax built-in wireless.</p>

<p>AF500 pricing at KEH was around $69 to $76 for EX to EX+ condition respectively, a week or so ago. I paid $125 CDN to a private seller ($105 USD), including a Pentax cable and hotshoe. Those accessories are quite expensive ($30-50 used, even more new), but I don't see a huge need for them, and paid what I felt was a fair price based on how I would use it.</p>

<p>The AF500 works as an optical slave out of the box, but will fire on a pre-flash, so I think you will need your other flashes on manual to trigger the AF500 optically. Your other options are to spend $50 or so on an optical slave (like the Wein Ultra Peanut) for the AF500 that ignores preflashes, or else get into a radio system which will still leave you in manual mode. You can control the flash power on the back of the flash in manual mode in full stops from 1 to 1/32. It zooms from 24mm to 85mm (so on a crop sensor, should be good for a 16mm lens through ~55mm). It has bounce and swivel, but that probably isn't important in off-camera application. It was Pentax's top of the line flash prior to the 540, so it should be more powerful than your 360.</p>

<p>For value, I would compare it with a cheap fill flash like the Vivitar 285 or other used ones that you might be considering for a third flash. I haven't seen the 285 in person, but I expect the AF500 to be of higher quality.</p>

<p>I would agree with John's comment that two flashes should cover you for most lighting work. You already have three flashes if you include your on-camera flash, dialed down for on-axis lighting. I just started reading strobist a few weeks ago, so I'm definitely not an expert. In going through Lighting 101 and the gear recommendations to get started, I'll llikely just use my AF500 and AF160 with radio triggers, and not add any other flashes until I find that I absolutely need them. My next lighting purchase will likely be something like the starving student kit from Midwest Photo Exchange (umbrellas, clamps, tripods, cheap radio triggers and accessories for $239).</p>

<p>It appears the prices of the AF-500FTZ are finally coming to earth--it seems until recently they were priced like the AF-540FGZ with new units still on store shelves. What Markus says is true--not a great choice for D-SLR on-camera use. However for off-camera use (triggered by any method other than wireless P-TTL), it's not a bad choice if you find it for a good price. It is powerful, has a zoom/bounce/swivel head, has built-in optical slave capability, and good manual adjustment levels.</p>

<p>Since Pentax has been making cameras designed for only P-TTL use, prior TTL flashes having no other auto mode for use on current cameras, have lost marketing value. I have two film cameras that can handle both TTL and P-TTL, and can use either flash. I like using the TTL flash, but unfortunately, these cameras do not have flash exposure comp control, relying on the flash unit to have it, which only the P-TTL flashes have! </p>