Never Did A Wedding...Need Help

tayah_teoni

<p>Hi,<br>

I own a Nikon D200, and I was just asked shoot the wedding for members of the church I attend. It's a small church, lighting's not that good, and background is white. There is no carpet on the floor, and the bride has said the colors of the wedding were red, pink and white. Her dress will be red.<br>

Here's what I'm packing:<br>

D200 and lenses that are not very good for this job.<br>

Here's what I want to do:<br>

Get the three lenses spoken of here and a backup camera.<br>

Here's what I don't want to do:<br>

I don't want to get involved with the setting up lighting thing. I just want to take some decent photos they'll enjoy. Any suggestions on film, lenses, and teaching on wedding photography?</p>

<p>Tayah</p>

<p>Don't use the camera flash: get a bigger flash unit and mount it onto a bracket from the base of your camera. You'll be adding a little weight but the light will look professional. Get fresh batteries. Run a few color temp options from your Menu: 5000K should be sufficient. Use one zoom lens, it'll be easier. 18-70 will cover everything since it sounds like you're in a hurry. Your D200 is digital, so heck with thinking about film! Get close to your subject, let them know you're there, and have a good time!</p>

<p>Why do you need film with a D200?</p>

<p>Learn how to compensate the ambient metering and the flash metering and why, and do so on the day. I'd use Program mode. Use Single focusing, not Ai Servo. Look up how to photograph processionals using zone or pre focus. If you don't have an external flash, rent one--it is well worth it. SB600 or 800. That's it for decent photos.</p>

<p>Best advice given: don't do it. If you do plan on doing it, make sure the bride, groom, and parents KNOW that you haven't shot a wedding. Frankly, the camera is almost an afterthought. First best thing is experience. Next, decent glass. The 17-55 f/2.8, the 70-200 f/2.8 and probably the 50mm f/1.4 (we use the Sigma 50mm which has a 77mm thread.... like the 17-55 and the 70-200). Another nice all purpose lens is the Nikon 24-85 f/2.8-4.0, but this would be a back up lens. And a SB800 or SB900 flash. Google ABBC (A Better Bounce Card) and make your own. The final component is the camera. Any of the Nikon's with a CMOS chip will do better than the CCD D200 (IE the D90, D300, D700 and up). Shooting in RAW will help with white balance and give you maybe a stop or two of latitude in post processing.</p>

<p>Some essentials:</p>

<ul>

<li>Clarify expectations with the bride and groom, and develop a shot list with them for the ceremony and before and after. (Google "wedding shot list" for samples).</li>

<li>Take light readings and test shots in the church right away at the same time of day as the wedding ceremony will be to find out if you need a strobe. </li>

<li>Talk with the minister about do's and don't's. If (s)he allows flash, get a good Nikon strobe and a Really Right Stuff wedding flash bracket. If (s)he doesn't, get a 35mm or 50mm f1.4 lens and take test shots in the church. Attend the wedding rehearsal, and take more test shots.</li>

<li>As stated above, don't use your on camera flash for anything.</li>

<li>Get that second body and a fast telephoto prime (135mm f2) to get reaction shots during the vows (closeups of faces of the B&G, wedding party members, parents), as well as your wider shots of the wedding party and B&G and minister, etc.</li>

<li>Get Steve Sint's classic book on wedding photography: <a href="http://www.amazon.com/Wedding-Photography-Art-Business-Style/dp/1883403367">http://www.amazon.com/Wedding-Photography-Art-Business-Style/dp/1883403367</a></li>

<li>Once you have solved the technical issues, "Look for the love" through the whole event, and capture the emotions of their wedding day. If you do this, they will love your shots.</li>

</ul>

<p>Firstly, if you really don't know what you're doing, it may be better to decline.</p>

<p>However, for some simple ,lighting technique, visit http://strobist.blogspot.com/</p>

<p>Next, if you can, go to the church and practice with the lighting you think will be available. Use "models" if you can find some to practice on.</p>

<p>As for the camera, the D200 is not a bad camera, but lacks higher ISO ability. I would try to get a D90 or better yet a D300. That with a Tamron 17-50/2.8 or if you can afford it the Tokina 16-50/2.8. The Tokina is better in lower light and faster to AF.</p>

<p>Best of luck with your plans.</p>

<p> </p>

<p>Does the church want you to shoot "weddings" for them or are you just shooting this "ONE" wedding ONLY ?<br>

If it's only this one wedding, whey bother investing all of your hard earned money just to shoot this one wedding ? Seems like overkill unless you are rich and have plenty of money to spend for gear you probably won't use regularly after you shoot this wedding.<br>

If you will be shooting weddings on a regular basis, then invest in another Nikon body, a fast 2.8 zoom, a prime or two and you should be fine.<br>

The Nikon 24-70 2.8 lens is a great overall lens that many wedding photographers use to shoot entire weddings.<br>

As for the actual "teaching" and "learning", go the church at the same time you will be shooting the wedding and do some test runs. Write down your settings and you will be ahead of the game come wedding day.<br>

There is no " wham bam thank you maam" learning curve to shoot like a pro in such a short time.<br>

Use what you know.</p>

<p>Thanks everyone for the input.<br>

Oh by the way, when I mentioned "film" it was because I have an N90s that I really enjoy using, and was thinking of having that as the backup. I think I'll go check out the D300. <br>

No, this is just one wedding for a dear friend. My focus has always been nature photography. I'm very good at portraiture, so I'm not concerned about people shots. I just want to make sure that I have all I need for this, as I never shot a wedding, and would like to get the most without carrying the whole arsenal.<br>

Everyone knows what to expect from me. I have an appointment to talk with the bride and groom this week to see what everyone is wearing, where they're going to be situated before, durring and after the ceremony/reception. We'll be hanging out at the church the day the church is ready (it really is small - about 75 people), so it's more of a chapel ceremony ( even have the opportunity to replicate the shot of John jr. and his wife from the outside).<br>

I'm even planning on asking if they're sensitive about the whole "don't see the bride until she comes down the aisle" thing, since they've been married before. If they're not sensitive to it, I'm going to suggest we take some pictures prior to the wedding, or on that day before the people come in. Am I dampening the love factor? I don't think so. It's a family thing.<br>

I also plan on taking a few moments of the bride and groom prior to the actually ceremony (mostly closeups), to round out the package.<br>

So that's how I've mapped it out. The rest is about getting the lenses that will do the job and choosing the right way to approach lighting issues. I'll check and see if I can afford that light bracket piece. It sounds like after the lenses it will be a very wise choice.<br>

Any comments on my approach?</p>

<p>Try not to color the conversation with want you want, make sure you are listening to what the bride & groom want. Feel free to offer input, but not at the expense of not listening. It's a delicate balance- maybe the bride doesn't want to be seen prior to the ceremony but the groom doesn't care and you are now in the middle. Is it just a time issue to take some shots prior? Again, reiterate that this is the first wedding you have shot- there are going to be stumbling blocks. They need to know this. We have several years experience shooting weddings and almost all weddings present their own set of issues. It's our experience that lets us quickly overcome these issues and keep shooting. Next, the D300 is an absolutely awesome camera. We have a D80, D90, and 2xD300 and it pains me to use anything other than the D300! As far as flash brackets go, these are highly personal. We have used about every flash bracket known to man at some point or another and each shooter has their own favorite. The RRS (Really Right Stuff) Wedding bracket is a favorite since it collapses down to easily put in a bag. But at $300 + dollars (you need the bracket and the proper L plate), it's a bit pricey. On a lesser expensive side, we prefer the Custom Brackets over just about anything else. Finally, if there is enough light to not use a flash during the service, great. However, we have been in a couple of churches were not using a flash simply isn't an option. The type where ISO 3200 with a f/1.4 lens @ 1/30th barely gets you an image. In these case I will plead my case to the officiant going so far as to show an image without flash and re-assuring him or her that I only want to capture a few shots during the service. But first and foremost is making sure everyone KNOWS this is your first wedding. Do NOT try to raise expectations. If anything, try to lower them and then hopefully pleasantly surprise them.</p>

<p>My film of choice is Portra 400NC. Doing formals and bridals before the ceremony works fine if requiring a bit more organization. The biggest problem is that people either don't believe you when you tell them how early they all have to be dressed, there and ready, and/or the schedule falls apart and you end up having to shoot it all during the family formals after the ceremony anyway. This is where experience helps so since you don't have wedding photography experience, plan for schedule slippage and know what you are going to do if things don't go as planned.</p>

<p>It sounds like you already have some opinions re equipment, and if you have the money, fine, but I agree with George on this. If you are shooting the one wedding, use what you have, if it works and rent the rest.</p>

<p>As for shooting nature but doing well with portraits--a wedding is different, requiring a different slant on basic photography skills. Not to sound overly negative, but be aware that your skills in other areas of photography don't necessarily stand in good stead when it comes to photographing a wedding--the pre and zone focus for processionals, for instance. If you were a photojournalist, the skill set would be closer.</p>

<p>Re the bracket--this is up to you. Many photographers don't use one anymore, but I'll say this--if you are going to shoot flash primary most of the time, it will help on vertical shots re shadow placement.</p>

<p>As an "Uncle Bob" who has shot weddings for family members I can give one more piece of advice - keep an assistant close at hand: husband, boyfriend, girlfriend, anyone who you can count on to be near you all day. <br>

<p>Because when your dear friend has a moment of panic and needs someone to run an errand, and this <em>will</em> happen, she will stop thinking of you as a photographer and immediately revert back to "dear friend" mode and ask for help. </p>

</p>

<p>"Don't use the camera flash: get a bigger flash unit and mount it onto a bracket from the base of your camera. You'll be adding a little weight but the light will look professional."<br>

...as it sets itself and balances perfectly for ambiant light in a very professional way....<br>

LOL. Sorry Chris, this just struck me as funny. But truthfully, Tayah, you do need to get a flash unit. The built in flash is not going to work well for the right lighting at the wedding.<br>

There is no such thing as just looking professional. You need to do things in a professional way to have that "look". But this is not, as you say, a professional engagement. you are shooting for a friend. Make sure you sit down with your friend and really understand what she wants from you. Set realistic expectations based on what you really know you can do.<br>

Weddings happen fast. There is not a lot of time for figuring out solutions and settings to tricky issues...lighting, composition, exposure, etc. Don't rush through shooting the day. Think about what you are doing as you go and remember that the quality of your photographs is way more important than the quantity. Study a lot beforehand, practice with your setup, and again, listen carefully to what your friend really is expecting. Let her know and agree together on what you are able to give. It will make things easier.<br>

Hope that helps.<br>

Lou</p>

<p> </p>

<p>You guys are awesome! Okay, I've spoken with the bride and groom, and trust me they are just expecting some nice memory photos of the event. They thought it was a great idea to take some shots prior to the wedding (they're concerned about the children. Apparently the childcare issue has been settled yet).<br>

I've got a flash unit, but it's not a pro one. Don't get angry with me, okay? I've got a Sunpak auto 433 AF thyristor. I've never used it with the digital, so I'm taking it to the store tomorrow to see if this will be useful at all. If not, I'll rent<br>

I've got my hubby with me (good thing), so I'm covered there.<br>

And believe me when I say that I have NEVER needed much of a reason to buy more camera equipment - grin - so the D300 is something I'm bargaining right now with Adorama and BH photo.</p>