Another perigree moon tonight - 01/10/09

brendonmeyer

<p>Nice Haig, from tonight?</p>

<p>Was overcast here, too. And way too chilly to stand out there waiting to see if it cleared. Not only that I didn't realize how high it got it in the sky so early. Was going to try to get one right on the horizon but by the time I went out it was way up there.</p>

Thank you for the heads up! I just got back from shooting it (film, no pic), but would have missed it if it wasn't for you. I actually went to a view point that could see the sunset and the moon rise with the intention of shooting both, but luckily another photographer told me that the moon rise happened right about the same time as the sunset, or else I would have missed it trying to get the sunset.

<p>Still, a great shot.</p>

<p>Still haven't developed my roll from the last one in December. Given my track record thus far I'm not holding my breath, tho. Guess I'll take those in this weekend.</p>

<p>And no problem, Max, hope you got a keeper or 2. It's midnight here but I may run out there and see if it's cleared up any.</p>

<p>OOOO nick, I really like those shadows.<br>

I haven't even seen what matt shot - we were out during sunset so there would be some sunlight on the foreground (Friends University clock tower) and we didn't have the 500mm he wanted with us, so he had to shoot w/ the 28 - 300 Tamron.<br>

Thanks, Brendon, for the heads-up. I would have missed it completely.</p>

<p>Thanks Scott, Maria, Somanna - I used a Vivitar 24mm lens, opened it up to f/2.8, jacked up the ISO to 3200, and hand-held looking out my back window with the edge of the lens against the glass. This one was 1 second, I did a 1.5 second that came out alright but was too bright compared to what I saw. This was a little dim, but I like it. It was too late to dig out tripod and long lens etc when the clouds finally broke, plus way too cold to spend much time outside. I did go out for a few shots of the moon itself, and got some lousy pics that might be usable in some artistic way.</p>

<p>Yeah Nick, that's a cool pic. The twinkles on the snow remind of a pic I took from the patio of my apts. It was misting and I was going to see if my little 2MP p&s would catch some mist that was coming down near one of the security lights. I accidentally had the flash on for a shot and I guess the light refracted off the droplets back onto the sensor, made for a kind of cool effect. Just wonder what it would look like with a real camera and a real lens. The mist droplets are pretty tiny, probably less than 1/16th of an inch or so? The refractions were pretty big, tho. Cropped so you can see them better.</p><div>00S5Kr-104818784.JPG.e5e69ef61d3610339baf8ece69087c4a.JPG</div>