Camera insurance cover for lost luggage

richard_buettner

<p>Hi,<br>

I traveled London 2 Bogota where the airline lost my luggage including my checked-in lenses.<br>

I did have a camera insurance (photoguard), after making a claim for the lenses (canon 10-22) they refused to compensate because they don't cover loss (only theft or damage).<br>

Any experiences what to do?<br /> Answers would be highly appreciated.<br>

Thanks<br /> Richard</p>

<p>"what to do"</p>

<p>Read your policy carefully. If you have bought a policy that doesn't cover you for the loss you incurred, it should at least be clear to you. If loss really isn't covered then all you can do is accept your mistake, do it differently next time, and see whether your travel insurer who I assume is paying for the rest of the loss will cover the lens too without your cover limit being reached. I would also check (in hope rather than expectation) what the carrier's obligations and policy is, though their limits are usually set ridiculously low.</p>

<p>If after reading the policy you are convinced you are covered, then find out your Insurers complaints process and follow it. Insurance companies may like to make up things as they go, but its not allowed and if you policy was meant to cover loss then I'm sure that eventually you will get paid. </p>

<p>Richard -- I'm sorry for your loss. To my insurance trained eye (albeit in the US), the policy is pretty clear that it covers only theft and damage.</p>

<p>Even if you were to argue that the luggage was stolen by one of the baggage handlers, the insurance company might successfully argue that an exclusion for theft by a third party to whom you'd entrusted the property is applicable, and deny coverage anyway.</p>

<p>Do you have any other insurance (a homeowners' or tenants policy or a travel policy that includes lost baggage cover) that might include at least some coverage for this loss? If not, if you want to pursue further, your next step is probably to consult a solicitor (or a friend who's in the UK insurance business) to see if they can see any way around the policy provisions.</p>