Positive Thinking vs. Reality

hassy501

<p >George:</p>

<p >("being true to yourself and your art", Reality is reality. Failing to be aware and preparing can lead to failure in any facet of life.)</p>

<p >The questions that come to mind from your comments make me think that you might have misread the intent of the article or articles you read.</p>

<p >Question: What part of being true to your art necessitates failure to be aware and manage the business?</p>

<p >Question: How can you fail to be aware if you are being true to the core of your business?</p>

<p >I believe that if one is true to something then they are devoted to the care and wellbeing of the nucleus of the entity; in this case our art. The business needs care as well, but the art is the heart of it and is the thing that if we identify with, it will help hold up the business in hard times.</p>

<p >Anything else appears to me to be saying I can go shoot garbage and sell it, because I’m a better garbage shooter than most. Conversely if you keep your heart in the art instead of your ego, it shows in the art and clients see it as a business practice. (The see that you love their work, it shows, and I as a client want to be part of that. I want you to be part of my event).</p>

<p >These are hard times and, times when we need to be strong as artists for the sake of our art, and what it does for us at our core. Art in our service is a core value of an art based business. I gave up the business years ago but retain my passion for the art. Every day I hear people say you should sell that stuff, but for now I would rather give it away in support of good causes. </p>

<p > </p>

<p >Glenn </p>

<p > </p>

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

<p >George: </p>

<p >When ones reality is based in thinking and acting positively, the notion of positive versus reality is an aberrant thought. It appears your reality is based in money, which makes times like this very stressful. I for one would find it a very sad world if all that defined our success was money. I don’t know if you watched the CNN hero program, but none of those people had money; they had vision and passion. I teach leadership, teamwork, conflict management and coaching. I give my time away when it is needed or I contract for thousands a day depending on the groups requirements. </p>

<p >I don’t feel better on the paid days than I do on the free day; in fact it is most often the other way around. I use my art to facilitate the message in my presentations, and the passion for my art and my subject come through. For me success is in service and the money helps me get it done, whileI live a comfortable life as well.</p>

<p >Glenn </p>

<p>Prior to going full time as my only income, I enjoyed wedding photography much more. But once I went full time and the pressure of having to book XX amount of weddings to pay my bills, dealing with the "business" end of the profession, I started enjoying it less.<br>

The pressure of the business overshadowed the art of just shooting.<br>

Has anyone else felt that ? The financial pressure overshadowing the enjoyment of the craft ?<br>

I purchased an existing studio. The owner had been bugging me to purchase it as she wanted to retire. I used to shoot all of her weddings. She was the silent owner. I refused for many years, knowing that I didn't want to get caught up in all the business structure. I just wanted to shoot.<br>

And sure enough, it has come to be. Selling, taxes, marketing, networking, worrying, employees, inventory, worrying, editing, worrying.......opps, that darn word keeps on creeping back on me.<br>

Oh to be be just shooting again.</p>

<p>Glenn, then why don't you just give all of your money to the less fortunate and feel even better ? <br>

I find that reason by people who DO have money a self serving agrument. It's always easy for people who DO have money to say how their money is not important. But let them have NO money and I guarantee you that their attitude would be entirely different.<br>

That's the age old dilemna. Those who "have" are free to think and act in ways that those who "don't " have are.<br>

Money allows you to do those philanthropic endeavors that the poor can't.<br>

Would you be just as happy in your life if you were homeless living on the street ? <br>

Success, happiness and monetary wealth go hand in hand. For most.<br>

During my time on the sheriff's dept. I met many homeless people who said they were happy not having to live by societies rules and regulations. They loved the freedom. They had no money. Yet they begged and accepted any money I would give them out of the kindness of my heart.<br>

Well if they were so happy in their lifestyle, then money shouldn't matter, should it ? </p>

<p >George: </p>

<p >Thanks for your comments. I too have been in the service of street people as a full time paramedic for 30 years. The four days on and four off gave me great opportunity to run my business. But I like you hated the management side of it. I don’t have any money to burn, but I really do find that when I give it away it comes back to me ten fold. I don’t know how or why it works but it does. Susie Orman the money lady has a free book on Oprah .com a quick pdf download I have not read it yet but there is a big component in it about honesty around money that was life changing for her. You may contact me through my profile if you would like some help. This positive stuff really works, and I will help make it work for you if you are willing to do the necessary tasks.</p>

<p > </p>

<p >In Peace and Healing</p>

<p>I agree that there are a lot more mundane issues involved in following one's passion than is generally talked about. However, I also agree that without the passion to begin with, one might never have the courage to follow one's dreams, and to keep at a goal. So I don't think the idealism is poppycock. It just isn't filled out to include the stuff no one likes to deal with. At best, it points out that if you don't have a passion for what you choose to do with your life, you will undoubtedly lower your chances for success.</p>

<p>Yet there are plenty of people who run successful businesses who definitely don't have a passion for what they do. One comes to mind--a local business owner is very successful by any standard of business, yet he runs a crime scene clean-up business. Now, can anyone have a passion for cleaning up crime scenes? He went into the business because he saw an opening, and looks to be very happy today.</p>

<p>I'm sorry that you feel the way you do about your business. It sounds like you were not personally convinced that you should take over the business. A studio is a difficult thing to manage these days, in our profession. The business model as previously praticed is one that is questionable in this day and age, IMHO. You might want to take some time to brainstorm new approaches to the studio model. Take that passion, use your experience and knowledge of the market, and come up with a new, successful, more "you" model.</p>

<p>"I have recently read in many professional photography magazines about "being true to your self and your art", and not worrying about anything because if you follow your passion success and riches will follow you. Forge your own path, create your own niche', blah blah blah."<br>

Well if you are rich, you can be "true to your art". As I am not rich, I shoot what pays. When I am richer, I will be true to my art, and maybe sell a print or two<br>

<br /> I shoot professionally, I shoot for pleasure - two completly differnent sorts of photography. Yep over the years, I sold some of my art, but if i carried on like that, I would be flipping burgers at Burger King<br>

<br /> The most important thing is that I can experement in my "free time" and if i screw up, so what. the valuable thing is that ocassionally, I can hone a technique, and move it into my normal stable of paid work. In that sense "following your art" pays</p>

<p>I aint holding my beath on the riches thing though!</p>

<p>I have to respectfully disagree. I am by no means a "have" as far as money...I am lower middle class if anything. I think it's all about priorities. I may have a bit of a "hippy-dippy" attitude about the whole thing, but the well-paying desk job I left to do this photography thing sucked the life out of me. I gladly handed over the good pay in order to do this. I am much happier and content for it, even if we don't have that extra cash flowing in day in and day out.</p>

<p>George.....<br /> <br /> After looking at your website, and seeing your wonderful photography, I don't see how you can't enjoy every minute of what you do.<br /> <br /> I can honestly say, I'm impressed and a bit jealous.</p>

<p>I bet if you had to work some crummy job for six months like cleaning chicken coups (no offense to chicken coop cleaners) that you'd really enjoy your profession as a photographer. I bet that you'd even find it rewarding in a non-monetary way.</p>

<p>I don't totally disagree with your original post, but I don't really agree either. People do need a sense of reality, but at the same time that should not stop anyone from pursuing a career that they will be passionate about and enjoy.<br /> <br /> You made a post earlier where you said <em>"Success for me is purely monetary."</em> Now, to be honest I have a hard time believing this could have ALWAYS been true, otherwise I am betting that you would have chosen another profession. No offense to anyone, but as far as monetary rewards go, there are probably better options out there.<br /> <br /> So.... my question to you George (please don't answer it if you don't feel comfortable doing so) is: <strong>At what point did you stop being passionate about photography and begin to measure success in a purely monetary sense.</strong><br>

<strong><br /> </strong><br>

Also, I stumbled across a similar discussion here http://www.photo.net/philosophy-of-photography-forum/00Rwcw</p>

<p>"The pressure of the business overshadowed the art of just shooting. Has anyone else felt that?"</p>

<p>This is true for any craft and probably any avenue that one would channel ones efforts. Even something as dry as computer programming, accounting or statistics. When you meet someone who is passionate about their subject you'll find they're surrounded by (and perhaps earning less than) people in the same profession who are certainly not as talented or skilled as they are. Worse still, those people probably have no care for the subject at all, they're in it because they just ended up there.</p>

<p>The truth is that we have to balance the things we love/want/desire with our responsibilities. This means being true and realistic about how long it takes to realise a vision (e.g. buy rapidly depreciating assets with cash tomorrow, not credit today).</p>

<p><strong>Success</strong> for me is <strong>visualisation</strong> , <strong>execution</strong> and finally <strong>completion</strong> (to my satisfaction). Whether it's an image, a project, teaching something to someone, learning something new. Many people become disheartened and lose their spark because they don't focus on the business end (getting results).</p>

<p>Also, pushing to achieve results is what brings in the pennies, if you're earning from your talent, you must manage the pennies also. Talent will merely get better results. If talent (and hard work) are the 000,000's, without the 1 at the front (the final result), it's still zero, doesn't matter how many zero's there are (adapted from a Chinese saying).</p>

<p>Paul, your words hit home with me. It has to be a balance.<br>

Keith, you are absolutle right. We sometimes forget how fortunate we are to have something until it's taken away.<br>

I just need to kick back and enjoy what I have. I put too much pressure on myself. That's the part of trying to achieve "perfection" in my personality. It can never be attained.</p>

<p>There are no guarantees in this life. Some people just stumble into "success" (whatever one's idea of that may be) and others strive and work hard w/ nothing to show for it. Sometimes it's luck, or just being in the right place at the right time, or the wrong place at the wrong time. I do agree w/ your original statement that a lot of writers make it sound so Polly Positive it's hard to swallow. Following your passion is a meaningless phrase. What if your passion is being a burglar or a swindler? Not everyone is suited for politics.</p>

<p>Me, every day I'm above ground is a good day. Your health is all that matters in the end.</p>

<p>Hello George,</p>

<p>First, I looked at some of your portfolio and you do very nice work and have real talent, no question. Even if this isn't your primary concern you have succeeded there, congratulations. Please reference all of the following as trying to be helpful to you, no knocks intended at all.</p>

<p>To your original question, "if you follow your passion success and riches will follow you" - that's not true for the majority of people in any profession. Some people luck-out and opportunity and success finds them. For the rest of us it takes hard work and long hours. Working for someone else is always easier than working for yourself. As an employee you don't have to do it all - the production, finance, marketing, sales, etc. As a business owner it all falls in your lap. You need to find the role that works for you. And don't ever feel bad about seeking help or other opinions, no man is an island. Hence, your question here.</p>

<p>I'm almost 50. My photography addiction, I mean passion, started almost 3 years ago. I want to do this professionally, even if it's part-time. I have a very, very long way to go, so much to learn, and started very late in life compared to most. It may not work out. I'm a networking techie type that worked for corporations since turning 20. In the end, I make decent money, but it's very unrewarding personally. Photography gives me more personal satisfaction than any job I've ever had. People appreciate what I do for them, capturing a split second in time that can tell a story, immortalize a memory, keep their child young and in their hearts forever, make them laugh and smile over a favorite moment years later, that can be passed on for generations.</p>

<p>I am a knowledge sponge, and in my photography quest I have turned to many resources to understand the business side as well as the photography aspect. I have attended many seminars, joined CPPA (CT Professional Photographers Association) and PPA (Professional Photographers of America) <a href="http://www.ppa.com">www.ppa.com</a> to see what I'm getting into and use the resources they offer. Even in networking I looked into doing business on my own, and learned a lot from the SBA (<a href="http://www.sba.gov">www.sba.gov</a>) and SCORE (<a href="http://www.score.org">www.score.org</a>). I have even helped a couple friends try to start their own business, for what it's worth. I would highly recommend using these and any other available resources to anyone going into business for themselves, or that are having business issues. George, you should look to SCORE and PPA for assistance and perspective. PPA even has consultants specifically for studios.</p>

<p>I can't tell you how many times I've heard long established photographers say that you need to learn how to run a business, take night courses on accounting, marketing, sales, etc. They regret not doing it when they started out. A PPA studio consultant echoed the same requirement. If the best photographer in the world doesn't know how to market and sell themselves and their work, they won't succeed as a business. But a so-so photographer that's a good business person is likely to be a success. Photography has never been a highly profitable business for most. In general you don't go into it for the money. You're probably better off opening a liquor store if you want good money. The one rule about working for yourself is that you will put in more hours and work harder than you ever did when you worked for someone else. It can be overwhelming, and it's not for everyone. And there's nothing wrong with that.</p>

<p>You're obviously good at photography. But now you've gone from photographer to small business owner. They are not the same. They require very different skills, time, and efforts. If you measure your success by money, then find what you're willing to do to make that money. What are you personally willing to do or give-up to get that money? Find your path of least resistance to that money if you can. It's an elusive goal for many people - some find it, some don't. I wish you the best in your pursuit.</p>

<p>George, I don't know any professional photographer, except those maybe that have become teachers more than working photographers, that don't work extremely hard. I'm not sure what articles you are reading, but I haven't seen any to suggest other. Sure, there are those who say they are driven by their passion and that has led them along their particular photography path, but that doesn't mean they didn't take every oppertunity, work hard and persistantly PLUS, have the talent to achieve their success. You are right, it takes all 3, talant, desire, will plus the ability to manage a business. I looked at your site, and you seem to be a really good photographer. I know wedding photography is really a difficult business, high performance expectations, mix of clients, I know it can be a tough business, and you probably are so busy with it that maybe you don't have time or desire to shoot for yourself? I don't know, maybe you feel you are locked in and financially don't have any room to manuver into a different direction? Or, maybe, you feel that professional, good professional commercial and wedding photographers don't get the proper respect in the "art" magazines that some do and you are feeling that your obvious skills plus drive and acumen to create and sustain a personal business is underappreicated? If any of this is true. Don't worry. Many so called "art" photographers and people like myself, a so called "street" photographer appreciate good well done photography of all genres, at least I do. I always laugh at certain friends I have who make tedious, broad sweeping comments like "I think photojournalism is so boring" etc. So, your work is great. Dig it.</p>

<p>I think the point is missed somewhat.. originally it was said:<br>

"being true to your self and your art" <strong>AND</strong> and not "worrying about anything" <strong>AND</strong> "because if you follow your passion success and riches will follow you"<br /> <br /> Trust me this is not true. You can be commercial and tue to your self. You can strike a work life balance. You can strike a art / work balance. You can NOT garuntee that success and riches will follow you... you can only hope this happens, as it requires interaction of 3rd parties. Magazine articals like this are reckless and fanciful really. The majority of artists are very finacially poor or earn a living doing something else</p>

<p>God Bless you Mary Bell : -)</p>

<p>I have a slightly different slant to all this that I brought to wedding photography when I started doing it a decade ago.</p>

<p>Wedding Photography isn't the only "Art In The Service Of Commerce." For most of my adult life I managed creative departments for some major advertising agencies doing work that many of you have probably seen or heard. Sometimes up to 100 writers, art directors, and support staff ... and contracted countless successful (even famous) photographers, cinematographers, editors, movie stars, animators, artists and graphic designers to help bring an idea to life.</p>

<p>With astute observation, one can determine that there IS a pattern of personal success that emerges, and it has proven itself to me over 30+ years of my involvement with creative people. Simply put it is this:</p>

<p>Outward creative passion, inner resolve, and a savviness concerning the business they are in.</p>

<p>Generally, "artistic talent" is a given whether the individual recognizes it, or admits to it, or not. Eventually, the truly untalented but savvy are surpassed by the talented and savvy ... in ANY creative endeavor ... it's the law of creative survival.</p>

<p>However, there are fringe aspects of every creative undertaking that are either stepping stones to the more rewarding place, or represent the "glass ceiling" for the the less talented, but savvy person.</p>

<p>These people rarely grow creatively, and tend justify their existence with "I just do it for the money" ... and eventually, any passion they had slips away. They well may be financially successful to some degree, but their personal inner success often goes unrewarded ... disproving the axiom "money isn't everything, but it buys the rest" because no amount of money can buy an inner sense of personal creative success. </p>

<p>The really successful people are the talented ones with guts and enough brains to recognize that this IS ... "Art In The Service Of Commerce." BUT, the "Commerce" only exists if you have something to offer it ... in this case an artistic talent for photography ... which you can call a "craft" if it pleases you ... but for me "craft" is always part of any art ... it's the "sustaining inner reward" part that transforms it into an Art. </p>

<p> </p>

<p>Marc, I read and re read your post and still don't understand what you said. It read like a fillibuster meant to confuse the reader.<br>

Simplify please.<br>

The one thing I did understand was "any passion they had slips away". I've loved photography since the second grade when I was running around with a Kodak Instamatic camera in my hands photographing my friends at school. <br>

Now after all of these years, (I'm 52) I still love photography, then if that is not a passion for something, I don't know what is.</p>

<p>Richard, you have hit the mark.<br>

These articles gloss over the actual work it takes to be successful. They make it sound as if some mom with a camera took her fondness for photography, was told by friends that she had talent and should start charging, and is NOW giving seminars, shooting high end weddings and making tons of money. <br>

They say that YOU can do it too. Just follow your passion. Reality or poppycock ?</p>

<p>Good at photography...does not mean good at business. That's why there's business Mgr's.<br>

Some very wise told me along time ago..."it's the person, that goes into the business....not the business you go into, that makes the success"</p>

<p>A good business person is willing to work more then 12hr days, more then 5days a week....willing to do the smallest task him/her self. You can have an MBA...it doesn't mean anything if you don't give it your all.</p>

<p>I my self, besides working as a clinical engineer in a hospital...i also have a side business in networking small medical centers as well as shooting weddings and other events. Why? I have one of those crazy minds that has to be doing something all the time. Super Bowl Sunday...i was working on a system, getting it up and running and also met with 2 clients that evening.</p>

<p>That's the difference...that's the key. Those that have the will...will, those that have the want....won't</p>

<p>Dave</p>

<p>Thanks George. Just passion = poverty. So poppycock to whatever you read. Obviously without some passion or drive, nobody gets anywhere. Why else get up in the morning and do the work? The PPA studio consultant that spoke to CPPA stated that on average a self-employed photographer will spend 90% of their time running the business [successfully] and 10% shooting. This can be very discouraging to many photographers, especially those that enjoy the art and hate or ignore the business aspect. If you want to make any sort of a living as a photographer remember that first and foremost it is a business. Art is the product. Passion is the force that gets you where you want to go. Business is the machine that makes it all happen. Talent, cameras, lenses, Photoshop, etc. are the tools. Think of Alec Baldwin's 'inspirational speech' in "Glenn Garry Glenross" - ABC - Always Be Closing.</p>

<p>As the PPA studio consultant stated, having a studio/store requires a higher mark-up than being a location/home-based photographer - 4x versus 3x respectively. With a typical estimate of 10% shoot time a week and 50 to 60 hours a week going into the business (sales, marketing, post-processing, etc, etc.) - whether you realize it or not - that means 5 to 6 hours a week of actual time getting paid to press the shutter button! This is a good basis for setting your pricing, 5 to 6 hours of billable time a week - and in CT the winter is slow with little work. So for us up here, 40 weeks x 5 hours = 200 billable hours a year as a low-end fair estimate. That has to cover salary and ALL the expenses, yikes! That's why hiring a photographer isn't cheap! Hopefully you can have more billable hours, more weeks of work, sell prints, etc. And there are things you can do to move the hours more in your favor like good work-flow or a nice climate like CA ; ) No wonder I still buy lottery tickets !!!</p>

<p>Just saw this on <a href="http://www.cnn.com">www.cnn.com</a> - it's not about photography but about leaving the corporate world to work in a small company. Decent follow-up on this thread:</p>

<p>"They left the corporate cocoon to blossom"<br>

<a href="http://www.cnn.com/2009/LIVING/worklife/01/08/jumping.ship/index.html">http://www.cnn.com/2009/LIVING/worklife/01/08/jumping.ship/index.html</a></p>

<p> </p>