Nikon EM

Ian Rance

<p>I spent yesterday evening re-foaming my EM. I spent great care and now the mirror sounds better and the gunge has gone from the door channels. I think it will be a decent camera now.</p>

<p>I do have some questions though. I noted the mirror foam extended around the sides of the screen. I replaced these but noted that for half of the length these side foams are almost unsupported. What purpose do they serve? I have never seen any other camera with these side foams...</p>

<p>There is a switch at the bottom of the lens mount (on the inside). What does this switch do?</p>

<p>On a different subject I think that the viewfinder is one of the nicest I have ever used - seriously big and bright. It even shames my F3. Why were these big, clear finders not used in later cameras? Is there a downside?</p>

<p>I have the 35, 50, 100 and 70-210 E lenses and I am looking for an excuse to get out there and shoot!</p>

<p>Any other thoughts welcome.</p>

<p>Ian</p>

<p>Ian, I also own an EM. It is a much malaigned camera, undeservedly so. The viewfinder is quite bright, perhaps the first use of a red dot screen? As I recall, the switch in the camera body mates with a post on the rear of Series E & AIS lenses to transmit focal length data for flash when using the SBE unit.</p>

<p>My EM I have had it since new cost in the Region of 100 pounds uk back in the early 1980's checked it recently and needs refoaming around the mirror when I checked mine Ian the side foams only reacr about half way down the sides of the screen.<br>

Ps Ian where did you get the foam kit.<br>

Ian R</p>

<p>Ian, I used Jon Goodman's excellent kit - from eBay. What is good about that kit is that there are several different thicknesses and grades of quality foam to suit all cameras. Looking at his online instructions for the EM foam replacement was very helpful, but I noted that the EM in his photos used a much thicker grade of mirror foam than mine - so I used the same grade that came out of my camera.</p>

<p>Good to see a post on the Nikon EM. I have one too. I dont use it these days though. I still cherish the camera. It was the first camera we bought when my father was in Malaysia in the mid 80s. We used it with a 50mm f1.8 lens and a Sunpak flash. The first few pictures we shot with this camera just blew us away with its bokeh. Those were the days. I wish sometimes I could go back in time when things were far more simpler :).</p>

<p>Well, the EM is up and running now and has had its first roll of film through it. I am impressed by the camera (I have not used a Nikon yet that has not pleased me with its handling and operation). The mirror slap which is oft moaned about has been reduced to almost nothing with the new foam and I find that fitted with the 50mm E lens I have a camera that is not fazed by many photo opportunities - and once again I am reminded that it is I, the photographer, that is the ultimate limitation for its possible performance.</p>