Perspective on 4x5 film development in Jobo expert drums

scott_jones2

Hi all:

I need to have get some perspective on film development. My current

equipment is CPP-2 Jobo, 3010 Expert drum with 10 sheet capacity,

Tri-X EI 160, HC-110 developer. I have done all my testing and can do

N-2, N-1, N, N+1, and N+2. Unfortunately because of capacity limits of

the developer, I can only do 4 sheets at a time at the dilutions I

need to get reasonable development times for the above noted N levels.

So here I am looking at this expert drum and thinking it sure would be

nice to use all ten of those slots and get a lot more film done per

run. After talking to Kodak, Ilford and Jobo it looks like I would

only have two options.

First I could use Xtol which has a capacity of ten sheets in one liter

of developer (max for the tank), or I could use any of the standard

developers and use split development, that is 1 liter for half the

time and then dump and put in another liter to finish the development

and thus extend the capacity overall.

I am a little nervous about Xtol because so many people seem to have

gotten inconsistent results. I have no experience with the split

technique with the other developers.

So I am wondering if it is worth changing my already set technique

with all the time investment of retesting, just to achieve 10 sheets

at a wack instead of 4 sheets at a time as I already do now.

Could Jobo Expert users give me their perspective?

Tanks, Scott

Several of us use the 3010 drum on JOBO CPA-2/CCP-2 processors and have had nothing but great results. Never ruined one sheet of film due to the drum. They use very little chemistry, say 250ML - 600ML for ten sheets. Maybe on the super dillute stuff you may need more. Very easy to load too. On the down side, it is important to align the drum cap on straight, and unfortunately there are no marks for this, it's a friction fit. If you don't have it on straight, it will wobble and make this nerve wracking squeal (but the film still comes out OK). I put the lid on part way, turn the lights on, then eyeball it's position as I press it down firm, ensuring the thing is on straight.

I can't imagine doing only 4 sheets at a time if you shoot a lot of film. Go for the 3010!

H

Scott, I'd stay away from Xtol. I use the same conservative approach you do concerning developer capacity, and am also limited to 4 4x5 sheets in a 3006 Expert drum. Lately I've been considering trying 100 Delta developed in Ilfotec DD-X. At standard dilution of 1:4, Ilford's recommended time for 100 Delta (12 minutes) may just be long enough to translate into reasonable rotary times in the Expert. If so, figuring 250 ml per 80 square inches, you could run 10 sheets in a 3010 using only 625 ml. Should you try this, please post your results here.

Can the JOBO 3010 be used by hand, IE without the machine that rolls the tank ?

I have a 2509, which holds up to 6 sheets of 4x5. I roll it myself. I roll it rather slowly, on a towel, maybe only 10 RPM, and I use more than the minimum recommeded volume of chemicals in order to compensate for my slowness.

If I get a 3010, and use that approach, will it cause a problem with unevenness ?

Scott,

I'm using the the Expert Drum 3005 for my 8x10's. I usually develop 4-5 8x10's (which is double the surface area of what your using) and have never had a problem. My developer is PMK/Rollo Pyro and several years ago I used Tmax RS. It's been years since I've used HC-110 and I've never used Xtol. Never used either in a rotorary tank, but it sounds like it's probably time to change developer.

Michael

Scott,

I use a 3010 and a CPA-2 constantly with Tri-X and other Kodak B/W films and process 10 sheets simultaneously. I use T-Max RS, diluted 1:9 from the stock (that is Part A with Part B poured into it). So for 900 ML of solution I use 90 ML TMax RS A+B and 810 ML water. I have been using this solution and this equipment for 3-4 years with few problems.

Now TMAXRS is no golden developer. One should be able do do the same with many developers. Perhaps the problem with HC110 is the dilution you must use vs. the amount of developer needed to process your sheet film.

Hope this helps.

Bob

Scott,

Like a previous poster, I also use the 3005 Expert drum in my CPP-2 to develop 5 sheets of 8x10 film at a time. I use standard PMK, not the Rollo Pyro variation. I just split 1.5 liters of PMK into two 750ml batches, process with the first 750ml for half the time, then dump and process the rest of the time in the remaining 750ml. I never have a problem doing this, and my negs come out beautiful.

A data sheet that came with my 3005 says that you can use a volume of developer approximately three times the maximum required solution listed on the drum. The 3010 has a max solution requirement of 330ml, so you can actually use about 1000ml in it. Just be careful to assist the lift with your spare hand when you dump. I've never used HC-110 before, but if you need more than 1000ml for 10 sheets of 4x5 film, perhaps you could try splitting the developer on a full 10 sheet 3010 drum like I've described.

Skip.

Hi Scott,

I don't use the Expert drum but I do use Xtol. The capacity of one liter used straight is around 40 sheets of 4X5. (100ml stock per 80 square inches of film which is 4 sheets) Diluted 1:1 or 1:2 you can still process 10 sheets without problem in 1 liter of working solution. I have never had any trouble with Xtol. I always mix it with distilled water and keep it in full, single use size glass bottles. My smallest dose size bottle is 125ml to use to make 500ml developer at 1:3 for instance - I have lots of very full small bottles when I mix up a new 5 liter batch, several 500ml, several 250ml, 8 125 ml. (As I use it I keep moving it into the smallest bottles so there is minimum air contact, when 4 125s are emptied I refill them from the largest bottles) Given the quantity of developer you'll use for sheet film 10 at a time a 5 liter Xtol kit will get used up pretty quickly so you'll not have problems with it lasting. I've kept Xtol as long as 6 months with no problems. I attribute this to careful mixing and storage. Not to dispute others claims of problems - this has been my experience with Xtol. I almost forgot - it is an excellent developer!

Scott I use xtol all the time as my developer of choice at 1:1 for 35mm and 1:2 for my 4x5 stuff. My current stock batch is almost a year old in amber bottles and I have had no problems with it. XTOL will go yellow when really bad (and old) and if you look at it will contain many floating crystals. I believe that it's better to use it at an increased developing temperature such as 72deg-74deg especially when it's diluted. Kodak states in their developing book that you must use a higher quanity of stock solution before mixing. They quote for 80sq 150ml undiluted, 200ml for 1:1 and I believe 250ml for 1:2. On their web site tho they claim 100ml for 80 sq. I constantly use it at 125ml per 80 sq and have had no problems so far. The only trick to making sure it's good is to drop a peice of 35mm film in a beaker and pour some solution in. I do like the developer as it is not as hazardous as most. Combined with TF4 fixer and TS4 stop it is a total alkaline run with no odor to my nose.