Epson R280 prints super dark.

<p>Hi all - <br>

I just got an Epson R280 super cheap (free actually), that came with my new LX3. I picked it up for cheap borderless 4x6 photos for the family. I downloaded the latest drivers from Epson for it and it is printing way way way too dark. I am basing this on printing the same photo on my Epson 2200, using the same paper. I have tried borderless printing from my 2200, but it always leaves margin, so I figured why not try this printer.<br>

I am using a color calibrated monitor. The paper is Epson Premium Photo Paper Glossy. I am using Photoshop CS4 to print. Color management is turned off in CS4 when I print (from both printers).<br>

Even if I try to do a preview I can see that the R280 is going to print too dark.<br>

Any suggestions or ideas will be greatly appreciated...thanks!</p>

<p>Do you mean that when you view proof colors, your soft proof is too dark and this matches the final print? BTW, you should double check your proof setup to assure you're viewing the soft proof via the appropriate ICC profile for your paper. If so, your soft proofing is "performing" correctly, that is, rendering a screen preview of what you will get in print. In this case, brightening the image is indicated.<br>

But, I'm not sure that's what you meant to describe. Rather, it sounds like your soft proof "expectations" are based on past experience with your 2200. Remember, printers are different (especially here, with the 280 using Claria dye inks rather than pigments), and ICC profiles are paper AND printer specific. The same image soft proofed for the 2200 should be different than one for your 280.<br>

However, one last point when it comes to soft proofing, particularly with prints appearing too dark, is that your screen brightness is almost always too high. Unless your hardware calibration includes the ability to measure and adjust luminescence, most screens (LCD especially) are too bright and give you a false sense of image brightness prior to printing.</p>

<p>If your soft proof matches your output, you need to correct the image to print with the brightness you desire. If your soft proof is too bright, you need to check your workflow, assuring you're using the correct ICC profiles, both in the print dialog box, as well as the proof setup, and if all that is correct, reevaluate your monitor's calibration, particularly its brightness.<br>

I hope it helps.</p>

<p>Henry</p>

<p> </p>

<p>Chris, I have a R280 and this works for me. I usually print on Epson Ultra Premium Luster and it comes out perfect each and every time, however, I use a PC and not a Mac:<br>

<p>To get a good print from Photoshop</p>

<p >1. In the Epson printer properties box main tab, select “best photo”, choose paper and size, check print preview box.</p>

<p >2. In the advanced tab, be sure to uncheck “high speed print” and to click next to ICM. Do not check the “Off no color adjustment box. Leave it blank. Then click ok.</p>

<p >3. In the Photoshop print tab, click document.</p>

<p >4. Color handling =Photoshop manages color. </p>

<p >5. Printer profile= Stylus Photo R280 R290 Series</p>

<p >6. Rendering intent=relative colorimetric</p>

<p >7. Check black point compensation. </p>

<p > <br>

Hope this works. </p>

</p>

• 4 weeks later...

<p>I had the same problem - the key is what Tim (above) said in step 2. Photoshop will manage the colors and so will the printer. If you have them both set, you'll get dark and ugly prints. After doing that, I was blown away with the quality (I am using the European version, R285).</p>