Reliability of 553ELX

paul_chan

How reliable is the self-winding mechanism of the 553ELX? I have an

interest on this discontinued model instead of the 503CW with the CW

Winder. The ergonomics and holding comfort is not a material

consideration. Is the spacing between exposed frames consistently

reliable and does it has any known tendency to break down over a

period of sustained usage?

The EL mechanism is essentially unchanged from the inception of the 500EL back in the mid 60's. Its as reliable as they come.

They did change the motor's electrical circuit just slightly with the inclusion of AA batteries as a power source (as opposed to the NiCads). The changes were: 1) the inlusion of a diode to prevent charging of the AA's in the camera, should an charger from an older EL be plugged into it, and 2) the "battery test" circuit was added. All release cables and accessories not related to charging the internal NiCad still function normally.

A longtime complaint from the old EL was that the selector dial moved because it had no lock. A small "protector" was put into the body to prevent accidental movement (sometime in the early 80's), and that solved the problem.

The EL was fitted with the "S curve" mirror movement, that allows a longer mirror, thus preventing vignetting with longer lenses sometime in the late 80's. This was the movement that came out with the 2000FC and has become standard now in all SLR Hasselblads.

The 553ELX came standard with the release plate, IMHO, better than the button, but it takes up both release holes in the front of the camera. The newer ELD version goes back to the "button" in front.

My own personal 553ELX has seen MUCH usage. I bought it when they first became available, and other than wiping down the battery contacts every once in a while (no leakage, just grunge of the ages) it has been flawless.

Spacing is very much a function of the magazine, the "tightness" in the film roll, the way you load the magazine (keep that arrow at EXACTLY the right spot), and to some extent the film manufacturers tolorances. I have magazines from the early 70's, and they've been overhauled once in that period, with a change of light trap since then. They work as they should, and spacing will vary a little, but not much (its the nature of 120/220 roll film).

I might point out that they work equally as well on the 500CM, 553ELX or the SWC/M (or 903 I just traded to Godfrey).

Don't worry about the 553's wind at all, its rock solid.

BTW, I use mine outdoors, mostly for bird and landscape photos, and never begrudged it the added size/weight.