film! I recently got put onto the myriad of useful things I can use

a black shower curtain liner for: protection from rain for my gear,

a ground cloth for my sleeping bag or tent, a solar still in the

event of a "survival" scenario, and a background for portraits. It

is a little too lightwieght to use as a focusing cloth but I suppose

it would work in an emergency if its not windy. Not too bad for

$3.95! Did I mention recycled veterinary syringes for measureing

chemicals for alternative processes? Well, you get the idea. Anyone

out there have some tips they haven't previously posted?

Car sunshades, yes I do the same but have also removed the hoops from a large one and use it as a darkcloth. The metallic side out keeps it cooler when under the hood and a little velcro keeps it tight on the camera. It is also water proof enough to put over camera while waiting for shot in a drizzle.

Tupperware etc. for lens and film cases. A little bubble padding and it is great for backpacking.

The best padding I've found for camera bag / lunchbox lens cases is to cut up a blue compressed foam camping mattress (approx 0.8cm thick) from a camping store - much cheaper than trying to get high density foam. Put a bit of tape over it if sliding lensboards past it (else it gets a little frayed). It also holds its shape enought to make small boxes or partitions with (or just tape thin plastic from a document wallet around the outside to increase strength).

I just bought a case that <b>holds</b> an ice chest. It is soft, light, and has a nice wide strap and a removable plastic bottom frame. Its walls are made of some kind of lightweight insulating material. Wrapping my Tachihara in the darkcloth, this case is large and light enough to hold everything I use, with room to spare. Cost: $29.99 at my local grocery store. It being summertime here, such items are readily available.

<p>Thanks to Matthew, I now know how to make some dividers for the case.

I greatly improved the rigidity of my ultralight Gowland 8x10" PocketView with a few oversized flat fender washers that cost a few bucks at the hardware store. I'd imagine this would work on any camera with friction knobs. It seems trivial and obvious, but the difference is astounding.

Hardware store 3/4" washers as stepdown addins to use a #00 shutter in a #0 lensboard.

East German army surplus foot wraps (sewn double) as lens wraps; ditto towels as a camera wrap.

Edmund scientific bubble levels as camera levels.

A Tandy leather rifle sling as a tripod sling.

And of course the standard real backpack to carry a camera :-)

John,

Liking to be thrifty myself, I too try to use things in ways other than they were intended. For example, at a medical supply store I have purchased the replacement bladder for a blood pressure cuff and "harvested" the tubing off of it. Of course this renders the bladder useless, but it makes two packard shutter air lines quite nicely. Also, and I got this from Clyde Butcher so he'll get the credit, the small steel clamps from Lowes or Home Depot that have the orange plastic covers on the end work really well for holding your darkcloth on the camera. Two of them work nicely if positioned in the right spots. They will be found in the tool section with the rest of the woodworking clamps. Pony is the brand. The orange plstic on them makes it hard to leave them behind when you're packing your gear up after a shoot. For missing darkslide locks (I know some of you out there INTENTIONALLY take them off and throw them away) you can buy brass "L hooks" which can be very easily modified to take the place of the missing ones, at a cost of around a dollar for several of them.

These will be found in the hardware / fastener section with the picture hanging materials and cup hooks.

I'll try to post more as I think of more ways that I've saved money and time on photo related repairs and supplies.

Good luck, fellow cheapskates, er thrifty people.

DG

Don't know if they make them anymore but tupperware used to make a "bread container" that is absolutely perfect for 4x5 negative storage. On my old Zone VI tripod, I added a lock washer between two regular washers to make tightening the knobs easier. (That was one of the many great suggestions from the Zone VI newsletter.)

Seagram Crown Royal bags are a great way to carry miscellaneous stuff around.

Lots of folks make their own darkcloths, but is their white side "black out cloth" used to make "light tight" drapes?

Cut off the tops of plastic milk jugs to make a real cheap and very effective funnel.

One day I decided to print on 16x20 paper, but the trays are a bit small for the size and I need 5 of them. I look a round in the house and there they are. We bough long ago 25 gallon plastic storage container and the lid (24.5x18) are perfect for darkoom trays (with ribs)....