Epson V700 scanner vs Fuji Froniter 570 scanner

<p>From my experience with my Epson 4870, a much older model, and from both my local Fuji Frontier minilabs at Walmart and Walgreens, I'ld have to say my Epson is better. The Frontiers produce a weird and subtle herringbone crosshatch pattern throughout my scans.</p>

<p>And what they do to the color scanning Kodak negatives is disappointing at best. But that's my experience here in central Texas. It might be different with Frontiers in other parts.</p>

<p>I have a new Epson V700 which on the basis of the test scans I've made so far, is notably better than the scanners I've seen working in conjunction with Frontier minilabs- if thats what you mean. I think that the Frontier scanners and the way they are operated have been regarded as the wekest link in their chain, but I have no experience with a 570 scanner and indeed can't even find one on the Fuji website. </p>

<p>I should add that the quality of scans I'm getting from the V700 is materially improved by the use of a more solid and adjustable third party film holder ( search on "Doug Fisher" on here) together with an AN glass insert. Film flatness and focus are the two keys to getting the best out of the V700 IMO.</p>

• 3 months later...

<p>I recently was able get Sam's Club to give me 8 megapixel Frontier scans. I also found a place to get Agfa D-Lab 3 6 megapixel scans. I was surprised as I never was offered such high resolutions before from mini lab. The Agfa was cleaner in terms of the crosshatch pattern mentioned but they were scanned a bit light and they would not adjust to get more density. Neither would turn off the compression.<br>

Neither was as good as Nikon Coolscan IV, maybe as good as V700 but different look. V700 tends to get a lot of sparkly color noise probably electronic from 35mm negs. I always like the color from V700.<br>

I just discovered the hi-rez pixel level pixelation that always put me off on the V700 with Epson scan went away with Silverfast SE 6.6, big jump in confidence here.</p>

<p>ICE is another culprit in introducing artifacts, at least with Epson scan, still testing with Silverfast.. I tried the new SRD software dust and scratch removal feature in Silverfast. It gets you away from ICE artifact issues but is hard to use.</p>

<p>I spent a lot of time with Velvia yesterday on this scanner and came to the conclusion it requires too much post sharpening because the capture is too soft. I find it much easier to get sharp results with negatives.</p>