Leica M7 exposure compensation dial

jack_li4

<p>Hi everyone,</p>

<p>I'm a new Leica user and was wondering about how exactly is the exposure compensation dial used? And also, in AUTO mode, it seems that exposure is compensated correctly, but in Manual mode, its the opposite way around where exposing +1 stops would translate to -1 on the dial (as if it meant -1 stops on shutter speed?) Also, if you could change shutter/aperture settings to change exposure, whats the exposure compensation dial used for? Lastly, on my dial, going from 0 to +2 stops only has three clicks and same going towards -2. Shouldn't it click at every single 1/3 stop?</p>

<p>Thanks,<br>

Jack</p>

<p>Leica have really badly implemented the exp. compensation system. Having to remove the camera from your eye and fiddle with the little dial down there is not coherent with a camera meant for quick street-shooting style. And it's worse in the M8. But I guess it goes with keeping it all small and plain. I never use it, either. If you think you're gonna need lots of exp.comp. (contrasty scenes, vast areas of dark or light background, snow, beach, backlighting, interiors with artificial lighting...) either use A and lock you exposure on some «medium grey area» before re-composing, or use manual and dial in + or - stops.</p>

<p>I almost never use the exposure compensation as it is pretty difficult to use and sometimes ill forget about it on the next couple shots and realize i have it compensated. However, I want to learn more about my new camera, it seems really hard to find information on Leicas vs Canon/Nikon(my previous system). Is the dial supposed to click into every single 1/3 stop cuz its clicking in three times from 0 to +/-2 and it doesnt completely hold correctly on the dials, making it kinda inaccurate. Also, Wai-Leong Lee, you said that auto or manual, it should be the same things. However, in AUTO it works as it would on any other camera, but in Manual mode, lets say my viewfinder is telling me the picture is going to be underexposed (>0) so I would add +1 stops to it but it would read that its even more underexposed. Whereas going towards -1, it would become correctly exposed. Has anyone noticed that or am I reading something wrong? </p>

I don't see the leica m7 exp comp dial as much worse than other rangefinders. Eg on the mamiya 6/7, it's located on the shutter speed dial so you also have to take it away from your face to do the compensation.

Of course the minimal nature of the m7 does not allow it to have a dial on the top deck for exp comp and show the exp comp in the veiwfinder. If you're looking for a feature like that you should buy a Canon or Nikon.

As others have said compensation can be done by holding down the shutter button and turning the aperture ring as appropriate. That's the rangefinder way for on-the-fly compensation.

The m7 exp compensation dial is more for permanent compensation, eg to overexpose an entire roll by one stop. This can be done for negs to give better shadow detail as most manufacturers are quite optimistic on their film speeds.

<p>I set exposure comp -2/3 stop for sunny scenes, and even for softer lighting, and generally leave it there. How you set it can depend on what kind of look you like or what's a bigger issue to you- keeping highlights in control or maintaining shadow detail. I never use anything but AE, manual compensation for pics that need it is done by pointing at the area I want to meter and then holding the shutter AE lock, then frame and shoot.</p>

• 2 weeks later...

<p>I would view the compensation dial as a means to push or pull a whole roll if you're relying on the DX detection. In other words put in a roll of Tri-X, the camera says it's 400asa. Turn the dial to "+2" and you're exposing it at 1600asa, or "pushing" it by 2 stops. Then compensate with the dev time.<br>

If you want to control frame to frame, use manual metering mode.<br>

Cheers, Paul.</p>