Photoshop Forgets Print Settings

<p>I'm sure this has been asked and answered, but I can't find it. So thanks for putting up with this. I use Photoshop CS3 on a Mac and usually print on an Epson 3800. For what seems like a long time, perhaps going back to CS, Photoshop seems to sometimes "forget" print settings, color management, etc. that I have assigned to a preset for a particular paper. Sometimes it remembers, sometimes forgets. Obviously have to check it every time. Useless energy expended. Thanks.</p>

<p>Marc is right, by saving the image after printing, the printer setting is saved too for next time you print. One way of organizing printing is to group photos (landscape/portrait/size/paper) so that you only need to reset most of the settings a few times. My experience with my Epson 1800 and Photoshop CS3 (MAC OS X) tells me however that not all settings are however saved. "Best photo" for example.</p>

<p>Thanks, folks, I understand about printer settings being saved with the image file. What I'm talking about is saving print settings, paper config, color management, etc as a preset in the printer dialog for a specific paper type. That way, if you're printing a number of images on the same paper, you don't have to keep setting things. But PS sometimes "forgets" what a preset means. </p>

<p>I know that on the Epson 2200, you can do two things: Outside of PS, click on the printer icon and open "printing preferences". There, you can save whatever default settings you want, and that's what the printer dialog will revert to in the absence of any other instructions.</p>

<p>Also, if you open "Page Setup" from the PS print dialog page, you can set up desired configuration there and save them as a custom routine, then just open that routine for subsequent print jobs.</p>

<p>Like I said, this is based on the 2200, but I'm sure the 3800 must have something similar.</p>

<p>I find that Photoshop CS2 regularly loses the Print dialog settings regardless of what you do. Even if I save after printing, no matter which printer, and even if I make custom printer configuration bundles. </p>

<p>For this reason, I do my printing from Lightroom. Once you create a printing preset template, it remembers everything. Every time. Far fewer mistakes, less wasted paper and ink, etc etc. </p>

<p>Godfrey</p>

• 4 weeks later...

<p>The paper size and path selected for the 3800 seem to be part of the Photoshop presets. This is probably connected to some of the media/ink combinations not being available for certain paper paths. So depending on the path and paper size selected in Page Setup, your presets created under other paths and sizes may or may not be available. For example, presets I've made for "US Letter" are not be available for "US Letter (Sheet Feeder - Borderless (Auto Expand))" whereas they are available for "Super A3" but not "Super A3 (Manual - Front)". At least this is how my system seems to behave, tho there are so many places to make a small mistake that I could be mistaken. </p>

<p>If you look at the Print Settings pane in the Print dialog, above the Media Type popup you'll see "Page Setup: xxxxx" where xxxxx is the paper path, such as "Sheet Feeder", or "Manual - Rear", you selected in the Page Setup dialog. This is what clued me to the path and size settings affecting presets. It doesn't help that the name displayed by Print Settings does not match the name of the path selected in the Page Setup dialog.</p>