i really need someone to push me over the edge

rice1

<p>thank you all.<br>

sorry to not have mentioned that of course i have discussed this issue at length with her.<br>

she is great....wants me to decide, and is willing to gear up however i see fit.<br>

bottom line is, this trip is a once in a lifetime for her, and she will want to make the most of the photos, while enjoying the experience (not thru the lens).<br>

gil said it well, thx. and i appreciate all of the feedback, it is what i needed.<br>

2 bodies may be too much hassle, changing lenses is possible. i have to remember though that whatever lens we buy, will want to be used after the trip as well. i want something that works for her and will be useful to us (me) after the trip.<br>

28-300 a frontrunner in my mind, whether it be a canon or tamron. price not an issue here.<br>

or.....stick with what we have and live with it.....but i do love to buy lenses.<br>

CR</p>

<p> </p>

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

<p>Have you thought of taking her to a good retailer and letting <i>her</i> handle a few of the cameras? She might be able to think for <i>herself</i> and end up making the decision. I only say this out of experience. My wife is a non-photographer who ended up very much liking a camera I didn't have anything to do with pushing on her. It's not the one I would've picked, but the one she uses.</p>

<p>someone already mentioned it, but what about a bridge cam i.e. from panasonic? i owned the dmc-fz18 some time ago and it was lightweight and offered a 35mm equiv range from 28-504. tele end at its extreme wasnt that usable. but all in all a lot of mm and light, yet with dslr feeling with viewfinder and settings. iso of course only usable till 400 or so. <br>

well to put it short, perhaps you could borrow a actual megazoom model and test it, if it could fit your needs.</p>

<p>i think the megazoom is off the table. she is very comfortable with the dslr and its feel and controls.<br>

its really just about the lenses at this point. she can handle alittle weight no problem, but bulky is not good for her. the 70-200 f4 is a great size for her.<br>

all of the advice has been tremendously helpful. i feel like we have exhausted the issue, which is what i wanted to do....thank you all.<br>

sincerely,<br>

CR</p>

<p>I tried a sample Tamron 28-300 f3.5 - 6.3. and it was great. So bought a copy. My copy was not so good, very different IQ!<br>

I simply sent it into Tamron for calibration, now the IQ is as good as the sample I tried. No, it is not built like my 70-200 2.8 IS, but then again, it does not weigh the same either.<br>

<br /> Having said all of that, she might like a P&S better (and still develop a love for Photography!).</p>

<p>thx, but p&s is out, she is beyond that and does love her eos xsi. i think we are sticking with the 24-105 f4 and the 70-200 f4. changing lenses and planning for a shoot will be good for her.<br>

i do appreciate all of the advice.<br>

peace.<br>

CR</p>

<p>I have the Tamron 28-300 and it takes nice pictures, but I have the Sony A200, with in-body shake reduction. The lens won't be nearly as useful on a Canon or Nikon body, NOR is it a Canon L quality lens. I wholeheartedly recommend it with an in-body anti shake system, but lacking that, you're better off with Canon L glass.<br>

You could get the A200 or a Pentax K200D and the Tamron, for around $900, and be assured of some nice images.</p>

<p>she is taking a tour to africa, and wants to take good photos. she is not a photography enthusiast, but does enjoy it and wants to do well. (more for my sake, the photographer husband<br>

If I read this correctly she is going without you and will have to carry around all of the gear herself. If this is correct keep it simple for her (one all purpose lens that is light). I bet she will take different style of shots with this lens than you think and they will be great pictures.</p>

<p>My two cents: I had a Tamron 28-300 on a Nikon D70. Very sharp up to about 100mm then the image quality deteriorated fast. I did get some great shots with it but they were all from 28-100mm. With harsh lighting I found the out of focus areas to be very ugly as well. It felt like a solid lens and did macro shots that were very sharp. When I did a side by side comparison with my very old 200mm Nikkor Q f4 lens (on a tripod) I couldn't believe how much better the old Nikkor lens was even wide open. I sold the Tamron at a loss and didn't look back. Hence, I would not recommend the Tamron super zoom. Perhaps a Canon would be better. I am pretty picky about this sort of thing, so take my advice with a grain of salt.</p>

<p>thx steve, thats the push i needed....not to buy it. i am just as picky.<br>

the second body is smart as well, but she will be traveling with her mother who will have a megazoom p&s.<br>

looks like we are sticking with the 24-105 f4 and the 70-200 f4.<br>

thx everybody.<br>

CR</p>

<p>Just my personal opinion, going to Africa is a once in a lifetime opportunity (for most people). I would want the best quality I could get out of the photos and therefore would personally go for a medium format film camera like a Mamiya 645, or Contax 645 with a 45mm, 80mm, and a good telephoto zoom like the 105-210mm. The only issue would be airport x-rays with the film. If you must go digital, I would definitely recommend the Nikon D700 or Canon EOS 5D (or 5D mkII). </p>

<p>You said:<br>

<em>"i have set her up with a canon 70-200 f4 and a canon 24-105 f4"</em><br>

Excellent lenses, of course. Take them both. She can choose to use one lens for one day and one for another etc. Not necessary to change lenses in the field. I'd rather have a very good DSLR with the L lenses you mention than a point and shoot or a superzoom where quality for this "once in a lifetime trip" will be sacrificed. Plus the fact, if you already own those two L lenses (and are used to the quality they produce) you (and she) may be disappointed by what she brings back taken by the inferior equipment.<br>

That being said, I understand the usefulness of a longer zoom. The quality of the Canon 70-300 IS is close enough to the 70-200 f/4 and the extra reach would be useful. I have used the 100-400 a bunch and I would not want to carry it around all day or on safari - my wife didn't like holding it 5 minutes.</p>

<p>If you want to get her bitten by the photo bug the main aim will be for her to get pictures she is proud of and there will be nothing more frustrating than for you to buy a top notch lens and rave about it only to get back from Africa and find all the shots are affected by camera shake. For this reason I would choose the 70-300 IS over the 70-200 simply because it has got IS and will make it much easier for her to get shots unaffected by shake. In Africa you will get good light and be able to shoot at f5.6 or greater and at those settings the difference between the L and the non-L will diminish (at f5.6 or below then the L will come into their own). <br>

I would spend the extra money on a monopod she can use in the truck or on a Gorillapod.<br>

And while you are there it would be a shame not to get a lens to do justice to the scenery - believe me, when she gets back and sees her photos of those African sunsets, shots of animals will be relegated to a 'great experience'. So add the 17-55 IS. Changing lenses will not be an issue: the trip she is gong on will have very clearly defined objectives - when on safari shooting animals, why change lenses, especially as the light will be too strong to good shoot landscapes? When shooting scenery then there are few times she will want to shoot with a telephoto.</p>

<p>thx mike and jeff.<br>

the two canon lenses are both IS "L" lenses. already have a gorillapod which i know will help on occasion for her.<br>

mike, did you suggest the 17-55 IS for wider angle over the 24-105? i have a 16-35 f2.8 IS L but thought three lenses was too much.<br>

wont 24 be wide enough?<br>

she's cool now with changing lenses in camp, so we are good with the two lenses i have.<br>

any last thoughts?</p>

<p>To me this is a no brainer .... get a 28-300. Reasons?<br>

<br />1. She will be in Africa and she will want range. Taking just the 24-105 would give a max of 105 (150 crop factor). For me, that wouldn't be enough. Taking the 200 (350 CF) also would barely do it but the 300 (450 cf) sounds much better). The first time she sees a pride of lions a couple hundred yards away and has only the 105, she will wish she had carried the extra weight.<br>

<br />2. Since she may be shooting some in low light or from a moving vehicle, the lower f-stop you can get in the lens, the better. But, of course, that may cost more than you want to spend.<br>

<br />3. I think changing lenses isn't that a big a problem. I've certainly done it in all sorts of conditions. However, if you can make it easier and think that the difference in IQ won't be visible (and I don't think it will; I had the Tamron lens and loved it) it is certainly easier.<br>

<br />4. Whoever suggested she take only the 70-200 .... really? In Africa? And the first time se sees a gorgous sunset over the plains or mountains and can't get even a tenth of it in? I think the wide angle is jsut as important as the tele and I wouldn't want to be without either.<br>

<br />Finally, FWIW, I recently lost my DSLR (left a G300 in the airport so you can take my advice with a grain of salt as I am obviously not that bright) and had to rely on my G10 on a trip to Europe. It's versatile with good IQ, but noisy as hell above 200 (someone said 800 but I didnt like it at 400), the zoom is too small, it focuses slowly sometimes and the flash takes forever to charge. I like it, but wouldn't want it to be my sole camera on an important trip.<br />Good luck!</p>

<p>sorry for posting this in a canon forum but I had a similar experience when my mother in law took my daughter to safari in Africa. I had bought a Nikon digital with a all in one lens, and had her set it on auto. We only had the camera for a week and she had no time to practice with it. No lens changing was a good compromise because of her skill level. If you were going I would take all the gear you could carry. the transports made it easy to carry a gear bag, and my girl said she was surprised to see all the tourists using only compact digitals. Some people had good equipment. The photos turned out great considering the circumstances. and she was far more comfortable using the one lens and camera. I also had a polarizer on the lens, which would have been better had she known how to change the film speeds, because some days it was overcast and the slow speed of the wide to telephoto lens was a hinderance in getting sharp pictures at times. Hope things work out and happy shooting.</p><div>00RzS3-103045584.jpg.e0a77c1766096c0b2fc094e2351f2113.jpg</div>

<p>You could also consider renting a second body (5D mk II maybe?), having two bodies is much quicker and easier than switching lenses (less likely to miss a shot). Many pros have been doing this for years with a wide angle on one and a telephoto on the other. You could also rent a good Canon lens with greater zoom range; or gasp, a Nikon setup.</p>

<p>Just a thought (having returned from Africa in September). Changing lenses really is not a good idea in the field, which you know. But chances are she'll seldom want to use anything shorter than 70mm anyway, so I doubt it will matter. Also, get her a pillowcase. Yes, pillowcase. Best accessory I brought to Africa with me, to help keep the dust away from the camera.</p>

<p>My wife is very supportive of my photography hobby, in regards to both the expense and the impact on our travel and holidays, ie, extra luggage, scheduling activities for optimal shooting times, etc. She enjoys the fact that we have great pictures from our trips and family activities. But she insists that she, herself, would rather enjoy the moment rather than be caught up in the details of taking pictures when I "encourage" her to assist, whether that be helping me to carry extra equipment, or to snap a few shots herself with my backup body and lens.<br />Most of the time she likes to carry a point and shoot such as a Canon Elph SD500, to snap a few photos of something I might have missed or something she would like to remember that she doesn't think I would notice. The only time she has been willing to "lug" a DSLR and devote effort to "serious" photography is on those occassions such as a game drive in Africa (see earlier post in this thread) or during whale watching in Hawaii, when she knows that a point and shoot is entirely useless. But even then she is not willing to devote any effort to changing lenses or mastering manual shooting. I either have to handle all of the technical details or put the camera in an automatic mode for her to be willing to make the effort.<br />If I were sending my wife off with a camera for a trip to Africa, I would only send her with a single lens solution. While most of the interesting pictures I would imagine her taking would require a telephoto, I am pretty sure she would also want to capture some snapshots that would require something wider, such as a group photo, so the "correct" solution for her would either be a point and shoot or a lens that provided maximum flexibility. I have been fortunate enough to travel to Africa 4 times, and certainly something longer than anything available on a point and shoot is required for "safari" type action. So I think the Tamron 28-300 is a pretty good solution. Given, your wife may be more technically adept than my wife, I would never "impose" upon my wife, my values that maximizing the photographic experience is just as important as being there. To do so would assuredly result in frustration on her part. I would make certain that she had the optimal easy to use photographic solution, which would be some type of single lens super zoom. While the results won't match a dedicated multiple lens solution, it would be much better than a point and shoot.</p>

<p>thx everybody. and kelly, what do you do with the pillow case? keep the camera wrapped til you use it? i have a good waterproof bag that covers the camera, will that work?<br>

i dont think i can convince her to bring two bodies, but the two lenses is easy. still on the fence with the 28-300 though. sounds smart, and i am willing to spend the money. i hear the canon 28-300 is big and bulky. anyone use it?<br>

and thx for the scenario mike, we may be married to same woman...it all sounds too familiar.<br>

thx.<br>

CR</p>

<p>I have the Canon 28-300L. It is hands down the best "super zoom" money can buy. But I lugged this thing around Europe for two weeks and almost had to check into the hospital when I returned home. It is technically a very good lens, and it is very useful when you need to switch between wide angle and telephoto quickly and frequently, but it gets very heavy if you carry it all day. I sold a Tamron 28-300 (non VC) when I purchased the Canon 28-300. Nowadays I would normally go with a multiple lens solution, or just my 5D with a 24-105L, but if I really wanted to travel light and /or knew I needed a large focal range (IE Africa), I would consider carrying only my 30D and a Sigma 18-200 OS. Yes, the IQ isn't necessarily "superior", but with proper technique, the resuts are not too bad.</p>

<p><a href="http://www.pbase.com/lmwalker/sigma_hires">http://www.pbase.com/lmwalker/sigma_hires</a></p>

got it, but she wont have the proper techniques. i think the best lens for her is the one that needs the least attention.

can it really be that heavy? we have a great shoulder strap, and she will have it in a bag unless shooting.

thx for the advice.

CR

<p>If you don't mind spending the money, and I do understand that Africa is once in a lifetime experience, and she doesn't object to the size and weight, then you can not beat the Canon 28-300L in the super zoom category. It simply blows every other super zoom away. I'm not a very good photographer, but this is really an amazing lens, which for 2K (USD) it should be. And as long as she doesn't have it strapped around her neck for more than a few hours at a time the size and weight is bearable. It only becomes a burden for me after 4-5 hours or more.<br>

<a href="http://www.pbase.com/lmwalker/canon_ef_28_300_hires">http://www.pbase.com/lmwalker/canon_ef_28_300_hires</a></p>