Nikon D90: Shutter Release / AF / AE-Lock Question. Sensible shooting configuration?

cschweda

<p>A strange question, but I'm curious.<br /> Recently, I've been experimenting with a slightly different shooting configuration on my D90. A friend saw me using my camera and wondered why I use the shutter-release button to activate auto-focus.<br>

I responded that, well, I thought that was normal: half-press on the shutter to activate the AF, the AE/AF-lock button set to "AE-Lock only" to activate the exposure lock (when necessary), and then the shutter button for making the image.<br>

He suggested I try the following workflow on the D90:<br>

- First, use the AE/AF-Lock button to activate the auto focus. (Set to 'AF-On' in the menu.)<br>

- Then, half-press the shutter for "AE-Lock" (Set via the menu)<br>

- Recompose<br>

- Finally, press the shutter for the photograph.<br>

It took me about a half-day to wrap my head around the idea of hitting the 'AE/AF' button on the back of the camera with my right thumb to activate the auto-focus. But I adjusted -- and then it hit me: this really is an almost ergonomic (if that's the right word) way of shooting. The idea of using my right thumb, then my finger makes good sense -- and allows me to control all the significant "photographic variables" in a relatively independent way. Everything was easily tweakable in the menus -- and I can easily revert to the "normal" way.<br>

So a question: do other folks use this right thumb/right index finger process for composing and then shooting?</p>

<p>It's quite common. Search for AF-On and you'll find lot's of hits. Higher end cameras have a dedicated AF-ON button.<br>

<br /> But I don't know if using the AE Lock is common though as I shoot in manual.</p>

<p>Also focusing is usually kept in one of the continous modes (AF-C) so that the auto focus will track the subject movements as long as AF-On is pressed.</p>

<p> </p>

<p>Hmmm interesting. I was trying to figure out how that is better - I also simply press halfway - recompose if needed - and shoot. But then I realized that if one wants to focus onone thing and have the exp on another thing, this is the way to go.<br>

I will try that. I assume, however, that this way will still be a tad slower even with practice and you can lose a snapshot here and there - the ones where you just mash down the shutter button and hope for the best.</p>

<p>BTW -- One thing I forgot to mention in my original post: I have my auto-focus set to continuous. So as long as I hold the AE/AF button with my thumb, the camera is continually focusing.<br /> The idea (as I'm coming to understand it) is to have the camera's AF already on and ready (i.e., focusing) -- so that I can swing the camera to the subject and compose and shoot (especially if I've already metered and locked onto a necessary highlight for the exposure with the shutter half-press.)<br /> Obviously, if you shoot manual, then the AE-lock is not necessary. I tend to shoot aperture priority (existing light) but manual (via CLS or with cybersyncs) with my off-camera SB-800/900s.</p>

<p>I use this method and I've heard many other people do too. Some pros:</p>

<ul>

<li>You're not forced to refocus every single shot. You can focus once, then take multiple shots, recompose or go vertical. </li>

<li>This method decreases the possibility of autofocusing on unintentional subjects (eg. a windy branch that gets in the way, a subject walking by, etc)</li>

<li>To me, focusing and recomposing is much easier and natural than moving an AF point around in the viewfinder. </li>

<li>Since the VR system only activates with a half-press of the shutter, it will stay off until you're ready to shoot - which makes sense. As a result, it saves on battery life because VR won't be activating all the time you're trying to focus.</li>

<li>This method gives you more immediate control over the behavior of the AF system because it allows you effectively switch between Single or Continuous AF mode just by pressing (or pressing/holding) the AE-L button instead of having to change camera settings all the time.</li>

</ul>

<p>Cons: Requires leaving the the camera set to AF-C (continuous AF) which is fine, but you need to remember that the AF assist lamp will not activate while in AF-C mode. You'd need to switch switch to AF-S mode. You can still focus with AE-L, but you won't have the benefit of AF-C mode for moving subjects.</p>

<p>For an in-depth discussion of this method, you may want to listen to the Nikonians Image Doctors podcast # 67. They spent about 15 minutes on it last year</p>

• 4 weeks later...
<p>Good idea..BUT ..the shutter release button is turned off by default(C1)..see page 179 in manual...so if you use the AE/AF button and set it to AF ON which means you will be focusing with the AF button you MUST turn on the shutter release button on so it will set the exposure..at least this is my take on this..please if anyone thinks this is no correct please comment. These settings can get very CONFUSING.</p>