Stress on hot shoe from portrait mode?

alfonso_valdes

<p>I imagine most photographers that often shoot in portrait orientation, use a flash bracket with a hotshoe-cord. Something to look into.</p>

<p>I would think Canon took this into consideration, when they designed the hotshoe. However, there was some past problems with the 20D hotshoe becoming loose.<br /> <br /> I often use the 430EX on my Rebel XT (which is less robust than the 40D). When shooting in portrait mode, I make a habit of partially supporting the flash with my other hand. I use it with the Demb Flip-it.</p>

<p>I ven't heard of any problems with this. I use a Gary Fong Light Sphere on my 580 EXII atop my 40d and 5d and have not had any problems.`</p>

<p>WOW an echo from me word for word :) I hate the look of portraits with the EX flash alone, the GF LS2 allows good portrait without a bracket and the angle it sits doesn`t seem to stress the body. The hotshoe`s do have a tendancy to loosen, takes less than a minute to fix. Don`t let it get loose its fine. We shoot nightly this way in our pic biz</p>

<p>I've actually had problems with my 580exII while shooting in portrait mode. The new way to attach these is with a quick release rather than a time consuming screw like all previous models. It wouldn't fire occasionally, and it would only happen in portrait orientation. My assumption was that it wasn't tight enough with the new quick release.</p>