D80/D300, Stobes fire spontaneously while USB connected.

anthony_flores

<p>Funny thing:<br>

When I have my camera (D300) tethered to my laptop via USB and my flash sync cord connected to my Monolights, the strobes will fire rapidly and repeatedly on thier own, until disconnected. I have replaced the sync cable and the USB cable and I've tried novatron and alien bees monolights on both D80 and D300 cameras. All with the same results. The only commonality seems to be the Nikon brand. I've yet to try this with canon.<br>

I figured out it was something to do with USB while shooting last night. On a gut instinct, I yanked out the USB cable and tried it again. It worked fine. <br>

So my question is, has anyone here experienced the same thing, or did I just get 2 bad cameras?</p>

<p>Anthony Flores</p>

<p>I would be very careful. Is your laptop grounded? Are the monolights grounded? To the same outlet/ground?<br /><br />Incidentally - are you shooting tethered, or just transferring data? A card reader sounds like a really good idea before the camera, or the laptop, or both take an expensive hit.</p>

<p>Bob? Are you a hammie? lol. I'm a general class myself (KE5UYI).<br>

I never even stopped to think about that. It makes perfect sense. Recalling, I believe the times it has worked, it has been on battery power. Most laptops have GL issues. (poor design). I am used to GL issues on radio equipment, I just had a mental block and didn't transfer that knowledge to camera equipment. Brilliant!<br>

Thanks!</p>