Trip to India

lee_watson3

<p>Hi All,<br>

I am leaving for India on 5th January. I have plans to visit Delhi, Agra, Jaipur, Varanasi, Mumbai, Goa and Kerala during this 6 week trip. I am keen to get any advice regarding people's experiences of Photography in India do's and don'ts etc. I consider myself to be a keen amateur photographer and have just splashed out on the Nikon 18-200 vr lens especially for the trip so want to get some great images with a view to building a portfolio to start a photgraphy degree course next year.<br>

If their are any semi pro or pro photgraphers in India at the same time who need some form of assistance or would be keen to share some knowledge and experience I would be keen to meet up.<br>

Any advice or guidance that will help me in this adventure would be much appreciated.<br>

Kind Regards<br>

Lee.</p>

<p> While in Varanasi, rent a rowboat at sunrise (just walk down to the ghats and they will find you). Take lots of memory and batteries with you. Ask to go close to the ghats but give them some distance, it's a sacred place. You will be amazed.</p>

<p>Agra - line up early to get in to the Taj at first light - light is WAAAAY too harsh midday<br>

Varanasi - walk the winding streets near the Ganges- get lost and don't worry about it. There's plenty to shoot in the narrow streets - Varanasi isn't just about the ghats (amazing as they are). Wear good shoes - plent of fecal matter around there - bovine, canine and human.</p>

<p>I was mildly terrified before my first trip to India, expecting to be robbed as soon as I stepped out of the airport. I have since spent close to three months on three trips to India and never had a bad experience of any kind. I was forunate enough to have an Indian friend who kept me from being outright foolish, but common sense will take you a long way.</p>

<p>I was initially rather shy when it came to photographing people, but in my experience most Indians just like being photographed. As my friend put it: It's their chance at fame! Just remember to be polite, friendly and smiling!</p>

<p>There's so much colour and fantastic subjects to photograph in India that your greatest problem is likely to be "photographer's fatigue" after a week or two of intense photography! :-)</p>

<p>Kerala - on the assumption that you will spend sometime in " the backwaterts ", you will find that the 18 - 200 vr is not quite long enough for some stretches of the waterways. If you find yourself on the tourist day trip type boat, as opposed to the house boat type, then do not be surprised at the speed you cover the water in. Best solution is to look for a private hire, and insist that the boatman concentrates on the narrower waterways and progresses slowly - link a tip to the lack of speed !</p>