Tough decision fast prime lens or speedlite flash.....

dm_ward

<p >I am about to purchase the Nikon D90 kit that includes the 18-105 lens. After making this purchase, I will be pretty tapped out $$ wise. My leftover budget is around $300.</p>

<p >I am trying to decide between purchasing the SB-600 Speedlight or getting a fast prime lens, the two I am looking at are:<br>

Sigma 30 f1/4 <br /> Nikon 35 f/2</p>

<p >I am traveling to Ireland in March. I think that the fast prime would be a great option for taking photos indoors, i.e. restaurants, churches, etc. Obviously I would not want to use a flash in those situations. I want to keep my kit light on this trip, what would the better choice? If I don't get a flash will the built in one be good enough for fill flash?</p>

<p >I am getting overwhelmed, so many choices, so much $$$ to cover every base. I wish my budget allowed for both. I do have one other option which would be to sell my Powershot G10 and use that money for either the lens or the flash. At the moment I would like to keep that for my take everywhere camera.<br>

Thanks</p>

<p>Given your <em>immediate</em> needs (the travel situation), I'd actually lean towards the fast prime. You may actually find that it's on your camera more often than the kit zoom. On the other hand, the strobe will hardly see use in most travel situations... and in a real pinch, your on-camera pop-up flash can still help out with the occasional social snapshot in a truly dark room, and can do a very good job as a bit of fill in otherwise OK ambient light. You can even look into some of the inexpensive home-brew or off-the-shelf diffusor widgets that can soften the pop-up just a bit.<br /><br />Do you have a small travel monopod, or a beanbag, etc? That can really help when you're looking to make a low-light landscape shot. You'll never regret having a good lens. But you might regret not having a second memor card, a spare battery, and a decent bag to carry your stuff in. Just some things to think about. An SB-600 will be a nice addition at some point, but you really do have to think about how you expect to use it under your near-term circumstances. <br /><br />With some careful shooting and thinking, you're going to be just fine with just the camera and the kit lens anyway... so don't obsess about adding more if it's too tight a squeeze. But the strobe strikes me as premature if it's travel that's first on your mind. Have a good trip!</p>

<p>This whole thing is a bit philosophical (and technical, and practical...). But an f/1.4 lens on a D90 (which can easily be used at ISO 1600) can work wonders in surprisingly low, natural-looking light. But then, your March trip is a ways off. Get the camera in hand, and work with it as-is (with the kit lens) for a while.</p>

<p>You could probably find the 35 mm f2 for a lot cheaper than $300. I paid more than that much for mine, but I just sold it for less than $250, even though there was nothing wrong with it. I bought another lens two years ago for $550, got the picture I wanted with it, but was only able to sell it for $350 about three months ago. It's a buyer's market right now with the world economy as it is, so keep looking around and you will probably find a nice bargain. For $300, I imagine you could get a new 50 mm f1.8 and pick up a good used 35 mm f2 as well.</p>

<p>If you are going to shoot interiors, I would get the flash, unless you think that it will be a problem to use it in places you are planning to go. I would suggest that you consider a lens like the Tokina 11-16 f2.8 for interiors, on a 1.5x crop body even 18mm may not be wide enough in many situations.</p>

<p>I went to Italy a few years back and at that time my camera was a point & shoot. The shots missed were the indoor pictures where I couldn't use a flash. In Italy every old building had signs saying NO FLASH. You will not regret getting a fast prime for your vacation and future uses. My view stands get the prime and use the pop up flash for personal shots red eye can be fixed but blurred shots are lost forever. Good luck and enjoy yourself.</p>

<p>Thank you for all the wonderfull advice. This is my first time posting here, and I appreciate you taking the time to answer my question.<br>

I am leaning strongly towards getting a fast wide prime lens. I expect as Tim found in Italy, that I will encounter much of the same in the old buildings. I still have almost three months before my trip, so maybe if I can work out a budget, I can save up for the SB-600 and get it right before I leave.<br>

Bottom line, this will be my first Nikon camera. The kit lens will be more than enough to enable me to learn how to use the camera and get comfortable with the menus and settings.<br>

Thanks again for all the help!<br>

Happy New Year!</p>

<p> </p>

<p>You have a bunch of options. I have the SB-400 which is OK for my small needs. I do prefer fast primes and don't have any zooms. A 17-50mm f2.8 type zoom may be a good compromise if you don't need the long end. If you don't need much flash then maybe the fast prime and the SB-400 would do. I think you can find that for about $400.</p>

<p>Both.<br>

A nice flash like the SB-600 turns <em>all</em> of your slow lenses into great indoor lenses. A fast prime will let you shoot indoors where you can't use flash.<br>

If you can only afford one of them or can only afford them separately, get the fast lens.</p>

<p>I often take the Sigma 30 for family gatherings, and I normally stop it down to f2, so the Nikon might have been a smaller and less expensive choice.</p>

<p>I might prefer a zoom for inside churches, etc, like the Tamron 17-50mm. One downside to the larger zoom is that it will partially block the pop-up flash on the wide end. I found mine "used" at B&H for 300. </p>

<p>You could also get a 50mm and a used 24mm prime for around 300, but the zoom is more convenient. 30-35mm would be sharper than the 24mm, but just might not be wide enough at times.</p>

<p>Do you want pictures with nice natural lighting, or do you want blitzed out flatly-lit foregrounds against dark backgrounds? No matter how bright or sophisticated the flash exposure, it's still going to be emitting light from the top of the camera isn't it?<br>

Stick with the built-in flash, it'll be plenty powerful enough given the high ISO capability of the D90. Spend your money on a fast lens and learn to see the beauty and subtlety of natural light.<br>

Personally I'd go for the 35mm AF Nikkor over anything made by Sigma.</p>

<p>Dianne, I was in Ireland last March for two weeks. I took my SB800 and the only time I used it was taking interior photos of the house we stayed in.</p>

<p>Your 18-105 lens will be a good walk around lens. Daylight and such. I would recommend the 30mm f/1.4 to give you a fast indoor lens. Or add the 50mm f/1.8. Not as wide, but fast and very affordable.</p>

<p>My kit over there consisted of a D200, 12-24mm, 50mm f/1.8, 60mm Micro, and the 80-200mm f/2.8. I used all of the lenses I brought at one time or another.</p>

<p>Keep the G10 and take it with you. You will find some situations where a good P&S like the Canon will be invaluable.</p>

<p>Have fun.</p>

<p>You are defining things too narrowly, I think. If it were me, I'd buy just the D90 body and a Tamron 17-50mm f2.8. Add an SB-600 later. The f2.8 should be plenty fast enough for interiors on the D90. Don't forget that when you start stopping down to f2, f1.4 you have dramatically reduced DOF.<br>

Kent in SD</p>

Get the lens. Don't sell the Canon. Make sure you have enough memory and batteries as well as a bag that will handle an overseas trip. While none of these things are expensive they aren't free. If you can swing the flash before you leave then get it. My guess is that it will mostly take up space. I carry a small bag with 2 lenses and 2 bodies everywhere I go and a pop-up often gets me by. If I am traveling heavy which is most of the time I will usually need flash for something specific but not for the odd grab shot. Rick H.

<p>The SB600 will be practically useless, not because it wouldn't be an asset in low light (it actually would perfect to use for bounce for fill), but because in the real world situation you're not going to whip it out and start blasting it in a pub full of strangers. <br /> Get the Sigma 30/1.4 and leave it on your camera. It will be perfect as a travel lens.</p>

<p>Thanks SP....<br>

This is exactly what I was thinking when I posted this question.<br>

"in the real world situation you're not going to whip it out and start blasting it in a pub full of stranger"<br>

When out in public or public buildings that prohibit flash I need a fast lens that combined with the ISO features of the D90 will allow me to get the shot. <br>

So I think to start with I am going to take a look at both of the wide primes I mentioned in my opening post and purchase one of them. I think I will get more use out of the lens than I will with the flash for this trip. I will be definately picking up the flash at a later date.</p>

<p>Thanks for posting!</p>

<p>Count me as a very happy user of the 30/1.4. One difference between it and the older style, screw-driven 35/2 is that it's noticeably <em>quieter</em> when focusing. Wouldn't make much of a difference in a loud pub, but it's something you truly notice in a quieter social setting. The difference between f/1.4 and f/2 isn't huge, but remember that your AF system depends on light coming through the lens. More is better. Especially if, in the interests of being discreet, you turn off the camera's AF-assist lamp. The faster the glass, the brighter the viewfinder, too.</p>

<p>I'm also with Matt, I used the Sigma on my D200 and loved the lens. It almost never left the camera body.<br /> Now that I have a D700 I use the last generation 50/1.4 and, as Matt mentions about the 35/2.0, it's a nice lens but it's noticeably louder than the Sigma was. It'll be up for sale shortly, to be replaced by either a Zeiss, Sigma, or newest generation Nikon 50/1.4.</p>

<p>The kit lens is junk. The 18-55 is good but not the 18-105. Get a deal with the 18-200 DX VR. VR gives you 2-3 extra stops and the auto ISO on the D90 takes you further. So you won't need a really fast lens fopr the who zoom range.<br>

The 35/2 is well known for flare and ghosting. The 28/2.8 is the sharpest Nikon made. The 50/1.8 is cheap, fast and sharp and will cover you for low light.</p>

<p>Dianne, I agree with Matt, since your need is for travel, you will probaby find the fast glass more helpful, flash being prohibited or difficult to use in many locations. Sounds like you arent too familiar with using flash. If you are using it on camera, that can be some of the worst light possible unless you understand bouncing to increase size and give it direction. On the other hand, light in some of those pubs can be truly sweet coming in through the windows. Consider bumping the ISO up to 400 or 800 if need be to keep shutter speed at hand held speeds. I dont expect that 30mm(50 equivalent) has vr, but you should be able to hand hold it down to 1/30 with high percentage of sharp images. A suggestion for down the road when you consider picking up a flash. Take a look at the strobist website. It will teach you to get it off camera and how to modify the light for some fabulous shots. Also, take a look at McNally's "The moment it clicks" to see what can be done with flash. Speaking of pubs, he has a pub shot using 2 windows, a large as key(main) light and another small one for fill. You may want to remember his comment that Autofocus is really wonderful to have after 3 pints of Guinness. Have a great trip.</p>