How weatherproof "wave proof" is the 24-70mm G lens?

toan_pham1

<p>Hello everyone,<br>

I am in a panic at them moment. I was at the beach today and wanting to get as low as possible to the water surface for some dramatic shot when my D700 with 24-70mm G lens were hit by a wave!! I had hood on as well.<br>

Most of the water was caught inside the hood and thus where the inner barrel moves in and out as we zoom. I immediately took off the hood and dried the front element but the zoom barrel is a bit harder to get into. It's competely dry outside now but I don't know how much water (salt water) got in between the 2 barrels. Is there a seal there? and how strong is it? enough to withstand a minor wave?<br>

Thanks everyone. <br /><br />Toan.</p>

<p>i hope to have one of those lenses waiting for me when i get home from work this evening... knowing what the pricetag is, i just have to ask: what possesed you to take a chance like that with your equipment? i don't mean that you should put it on the mantel and admire it from a distance. and accidents will happen. but good grief! it seems to me like you were almost asking for trouble...</p>

<p>Do you see any water inside the lens on the inner elements? Any fogging? Try setting the lens on a windowsill in the sun and that might help evaporate the water that seeped inside. But as Joe said - if it's salt water - I'd send it to Nikon to have them clean it for you - corrosion can wreak havoc on the electronics inside the lens. Next time watch out for those waves if you're that close to the water without any protective enclosure.</p>

<p>M</p>

<p>If you disclose the history, you'll immediately lose a lot of resale value. In that case you might as well send it back to Nikon for cleaning.</p>

<p>Without seeing how the salt water splash happened, it would have been very irresponsible for me to give any advice here. If salt water indeed got inside, rust may gradaually develop. I think Michael has the right idea that if you see water inside the elements or it fogs up inside, that is a clear sign of problems. If not, your lens could be anything from just fine to requiring cleaning/repair. There is no way to tell from a distance.</p>

<p>Thank you for your advices. <br>

I forgot to mention that I did have a UV filter on and no water got past that onto the lens itself (when I said I clean the front element, I meant the filter, sorry).<br>

I immediately wiped the joint between the inner and outer barrel with my T-shirt then I zoomed in and out, wiping the inner barrel each time and eventually the amount of water got less and less. The patch of water left on the inner barrel when I zoom in and out was about 1.5" wide. I also tried to push a then piece of tissue paper between the 2 barrels to dry it but the tissue was stopped by something and was scrunched up; hopefully it's a seal of some sort.<br>

I can't see any fogging so far. Shots came out ok so far. Focus and zooming still smooth. From outside it's like brand new. <br>

The problem I see with sending to Nikon is that the repair centre is Camera Clinic and they did a blotchy job last time: they reused the sticker ring covering the screw of the front element (so it was all wrinkley and didn't stick properly); also the lens was so full of dust I was horrified. Wish there is a real Nikon service centre like Nikon USA.<br>

Fingers crossed.</p>

• 4 weeks later...
<p>OK for starters Id say rince it off.......i know this sounds kinda crazy but here is what i do know. I am a diver and a photographer. The number one issue with diving and salt water....is the Salt Water. Salt water will corrode ANYTHING even stainless steel. So i would say on the very outside....CAREFULLY and cautiously take a damp rag and make sure u remove ANY excess salt which may be left in nooks and crannies. persoanlly I would say take the lens to a different repair company and have them clean it. If there is any liquid inside the camera yes u might get fogging but the worse case scinario is going to be the fact that its <em>salt water</em> . If salt water hits anything electronic consider it fried...it will corrode it in minutes litereally...ive flooded a camera and strobe in the past. And ANY flood issues the first thing they tell u to do is remove all souces of power (batteries) and rince it with fresh water to remove the salt......many people who are more ballsy to repair their own stuff use a combo of fresh water and rubbing alcohol. freshwater removes the salt then rubbing alcohol removes teh water, but thats kinda advanced stuff to try on a 24-7/2.8 ....so again if ur unsure take it in somewhere...dust can be removed from the inside later...but corrosion is permenant. GOOD LUCK</p>