Nikon D700 + Nikkor 24-85 F 2,8-4

hh253

<p>I am close to make the decision to buy this combination for travelling and portraits.<br>

For available light I have the Nikkor 50/1,8. Anyone has an experience with this combination. Many thanks and Happy New Year.<br>

Heinz</p>

<p>"The D700 is a very heavy camera."<br>

And I though I might get one as a lighter second body to my D3 .-)<br /> I guess everything is relative. It seems to be the lightest FX format camera.<br>

A few lines down is a thread about a really light camera , the D40 in DX format.</p>

<p>relative is right. i carry mine around with the grip every day, and it feels normal to me. if i want a really small, light camera, i just remove the grip...<br>

on a slightly more serious note, i use an old 28-70/3.5-4.5 AF-D lens for walking around. part of its appeal to me is that the size and weight, relative to the D700, makes it exceptionally easy to hand-hold the camera for long-ish exposures. that might be a consideration when looking at non-VR lenses.</p>

<p>I use the 24-85 f2.8-4 on my D700 & have excellents results. It's used for weddings & everyday. Might add that I have had that lens for about 8 years & it was used on a F100 & than a D2X. Very pleased with sharpness & ergonomics. No descernable mechanical wear yet.</p>

<p>I`d advice you to buy the 24-85/<b>3.5-4.5</b><b>AFS-G</b> which is smaller, lighter and AFS but seems like it`s out of production (!!!). I`ve recently scratched mine and I`m so sad after that notice... specially because I believe it`s the best performer in the 24-85/24-120 range. That lovely decissions by Nikon, thought.<br>

I was almost decided to repeat lens (I suspect nobody will replace the front element on mine) but looks like the only way is the second hand market. I definitely would prefer an AFS G lens, and the only choice seems to be the new 24-120 with not so positive feedback from some. I`d like your f2.8-4 but on an AFS-G lens.<br>

The 50/1.8 is a very different lens, which I also use a lot, currently my most used lens. Both are my choices for travelling. The 24-85/3.5-4.5G and the 50/1.8 are IMHO, the best "bang for the buck" lenses from Nikon.</p>

<p>Curt,<br>

thanks for your mail. As you have that lens for a lomg time, how are portraits at 85 stopped to 5,6? I like sharp images.<br>

William,<br>

I think with the excellent Iso performaace of the D 700, there should be no need for a VR</p>

<p>I just got a D700 and I'm using my old 28-105 D lens with it. It's a good combination, balances well and the 28-105 is sharp enough. You can get one from KEH under $200. Hopefully this year Nikon will introduce a revised and improved 24-120 AFS VRii (or something close) which I might consider.</p>

<p>\Peter</p>

<p>Haven't used the 24-85/f2.4-4 on a digital, but it's been in steady use for more than five years in all sorts of weather. I wouldn't be concerned about construction quality or weather sealing. As a screwdriver AF lens, there's nothing electrical in the barrel to damage.<br>

Some pictures are <a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/74312783@N00/tags/2485mmf284d/">here.</a></p>