Strange ghosting/shading with 14-24 f/2.8

hawkman

<p>I have been using my 14-24 f/2.8 for a week now and it is absolutely stunning, I am using it all the time! However in a few of my shots which were taken in extreme contrast situations (camera almost facing the sun) I see a strange shade on the left border of the image in the form of a dark strip. There is also lens flare which is circular/elliptical and it is expected for this lens but I am not sure what the dark strip is. Please see the example below, are there any good actions for PhotoShop than can get rid of this plus the flares? and yes this is not hand/finger or any other object blocking the lens.</p><div>00RweY-101849584.jpg.fc306f4afde74ff55a288b99d43aa341.jpg</div>

<p>Could it be a shadow off the edge of the lens outer shell, I do not own the lens so I have nothing to look at. Look real close and see if there would be a slight edge that the sun could have casted a shadow. To be that straight and even in width it is the only thing I can come up with. I love the long shadow of the fence in this picture.</p>

<p>Thanks for the comments, I don't think this is flare as flare is usually the result of internal reflection or scatter of light inside the lens and thus should be localized. Also the contrast in the image is pretty good if you look at the histogram, there is plenty of detail in the shadows (grass in the shade) and highlights (antennas). Actually the above shot was taken at 24mm I looked at the same scene taken at 14mm (where the front element is fully extended) and I could not see this effect.</p><div>00Rx7X-102067784.jpg.8b249467cac4e916a5687c2e44744ea0.jpg</div>

<p>Lex,<br>

The usual flare seen in both photos is expected for this situation but the strip is somewhat peculiar in shape, it is not the hood because the 14-24 has a built in hood that is out of the FOV for all focal lengths and thus cannot cast a shadow. I just want to verify if other people have seen this and this is not specific to my copy of the lens. I am playing with PhotoShop to see how I can doge it out.</p>

<p> </p>