Cable or Card Downloading

<p>I use a card reader exclusively as I have had an unexplained catastrophic failure when using USB ports.<br>

I was using an external USB hub with my old HP Pavilion which had only 2 USB ports built in while I needed to connect 6 devices. Even with the external hub I was one port short. Hence, I used to switch some of the devices as needed. Had done this for many months without problems, even with the PC turned on. On this one occasion, I disconnected my epson 1170 and plugged in my epson 740. The result was a big noise, some smoke from the USB HUB which was burned crisp inside, and 3 devices destroyed: the epson 740, one flat bed scanner, and the PC motherboard itself. So I definitely distrust connecting my more expensive camera to the PC.<br>

Plus, I have on two separate occasions, about 15 yearas ago, dropped a camera to the floor because of some cord dangling from it. The first time the camera survived and I lost only a UV filter. The 2nd time the height was far too great! Alas! Clumsy me. Great excuse for buying a new camera!!<br>

Praveen.</p>