Sony/Minolta wireless trigger?

ricardovaste

<p>I've been using the pop up flash for a long time to trigger any wireless flash I do, which has mainly been when doing macro photography. However, I recently upgraded to a much more versitile flash and got two in the end. I bought a couple of light stands, umbrellas/brackets to set up a mini indoor lighting area a couple of days ago. I plan to start with just two and see how I go (as I use two for other use anyway, but may get another depending on how things pan out). I've been advised to go with a wireless trigger because the pop up flash can be quite unreliable & can input on the exposure when you don't want it to.</p>

<p>I intended on getting a 2XFS-1100, 2XFS1200 and a Cactus wireless trigger to mount/fire the flashes on the umbrella. However, having asked around it may not be the best idea. The "height" of the Cactus receiver means that the flash is much too far off-center of the umbrella *and* it may be quite unstable due to the quality of the construction. So I'm quite reluctant to go that route now.</p>

<p>But the Sony/Minolta (HVL-F56AM/5600HSD) flash won't mount directly onto the umbrella bracket, so it is of no use at the moment & I'd rather order something sooner than later so I can get to business when it all arrives. As a last resort I was thinking of something like this (ebay item #: 260337520203), which I think would allow me to mount the flashes onto the brackets and fire them via the pop up flash.</p>

<p>What do you think? Any suggestions? They would be greatly appreciated.</p>

<p>Rich<br /> </p>

<p>Rich, Not sure I am going to be of much help and I am not sure I understand your question. Are you asking about wireless triggers or about the ebay item?</p>

<p>I have the Sony HVL-F56am flash and use it with an umbrella stand. I use the tilt swivel umbrella adapter from Steve Kaeser. The problem I had was that it clamps onto something that is inserted in each end, the light stand on one end, but the flash unit doesnt have anything to insert to the top to clamp on to. I simply bought a 15 cent 1/4 inch threaded 1.5 inch bolt from the hardware store and screwed 3 nuts on it to have some width to clamp to, then I screw in the table top adaptor that comes with the flash unit. As you said here, it sort of puts the flash off center, but the benefit of the F56am is the downward tilt, so I can tilt the flash head toward the center of the umbrella and it works well. </p>

<p>As far as the flash trigger on ebay, I dont think you would need it since the flash fires with the pop up flash anyway so you dont need this slave, that will just add more height to your setup. </p>

<p>Hope this helps. <br>

Matt </p>

<p>From a reliability stand point, the "E-Bay Triggers" are good only out to about 60-90 ft. , also misfires are common, but they are cheap. If you want 100% reliability and range out to 1600 ft, than you might look into "Pocket Wizards". But a little some what pricey. Also just out with a major upgrade are "Radio Poppers" Good out to 1700 ft. and half the cost of PW's</p>

• 1 month later...

<p>I have the elinchrom skyport</p>

<p>these ones..<br>

http://www.adorama.com/EL19360.html?searchinfo=skyport&item_no=2<br>

(the rx ones are for the big strobes)</p>

<p>180$ for transmitter and receiver.<br>

plus an extra 100$ for an extra receiver.</p>

<p>They work great.</p>

<p>I use them with vivtar 285hv so i had to modify the wire that connects the receiver to the flash.<br>

No big deal<br>

Just a small 10 cent capacitor soldered in the line. some tape and done.</p>