Mamiya 645E, is this a good way to start in MF?

canonfduser

<p>I'm still a film user and want to give MF a try so I went to my usual source KEH to get an idea of what I could get with a small budget, somewhere around $350.00 and I found the 645E which was complete with finder, film back and lens for $299 in EXC+ condition. I also looked at other brands and they were either way to expensive or sold as components meaning I'd have to piece together a system. Since this would be new to me I'd rather have a complete camera and just worry about learning to use it. So what do you think? Is the 645E a good intro into MF? Does anyone know of a good source for an online or pdf manual for the camera?</p>

<p>Here is a pdf for a 645E Instruction Manual:<br /> http://www.cameramanuals.org/mamiya_pdf/mamiya_645e.pdf<br>

I've got a 645E. It was the first camera I purchased in 2002 when I started my wedding photography business. The case is made of a composite material and is quite light and durable. It has interchangeable lenses and a TTL metering system. It has other features that you can check out with the pdf file.<br>

It doesn't have the ability to switch backs, that means you will need to use the entire roll of film before changing to another type, but you can use 120 & 220 films as inserts are available for both.<br>

Mamiya makes wonderful products.<br>

Hope this helps you!</p>

I once had the 645E. It is a fine camera. I sold mine mainly because my eyesight makes it hard for me to use manual focus. The lenses for

the 645E are excellant Mamiya quality. So long as you are ok with manual focus and manual film wind, you can get great results from the

camera. I do suggest you get a camera with the rapid winder. This makes the camera much easier to hold and the thumb lever makes film

winding easier.<p>These photos were shot with my 645E and 80mm lens in the Fall of 2007:

<p>http://www.lightanon.com/-/lightanon/gallery.asp?cat=92469

<p>No, because one of the best assets of medium format is the waist-level finder. Since you cannot change finders on the M645E, I would stay away from this camera. Furthermore, the camera has pretty cheap build quality. I for one wouldn't spend $300 on such a limited camera. Better get a reliable incident light meter and try a meter-less camera like the RZ67 or one of the many other fine MF SLRs.<br>

<br /> Or you could go for a M645 Super/Pro outfit in BGN condition which also costs around $300 and add a WLF.</p>

<p>I love the WLF. Exspacially if you have low light or it is extreme sunny. Or if you like to make a fast shot.<br>

The point is: where do you need the camera for? Do you want to compose pictures and do you have time? Or do you want to make easy and fast some good shots?<br>

I like my C330, but I need a lot of time and a patient motive. The RZ with metered finder also need a patient object and with a viewfinder or the 645 Pro I take the fast ones.<br>

As I wrote before: if you are not looking for the further future this offer is not bad. If you want to develop your skills and equipment, it is defenitly not the first choice.</p>

<p>For me, the WLF is dead useless on a 645 unless you're keen on shooting landscape-only shots. The Super/Pro/ ProTL bodies are true system cameras with modular, interchangeable finders, backs, winders(some exceptions) and, naturally, lenses. The E kit is fine, provided you're down with its baked-in limitations. Point is, though, you can start shooting now without scrambling around for the necessary bits. </p>

<p>The 645E has an excellent, bright viewfinder that has an adjustable diopter to adjust for your eyesight. It has excellent aperture priority, or metered manual metering. It is lighter than the system cameras. Highly recommended if you don't need to switch film backs. A waist level viewfinder is difficult to use for portrait format and also hard to use if you need to raise it to eye level.<br>

Jon</p>

<p>I can't really see how to focus the 645/645J, etc. The 645E is much easier to focus. If, as other posters have suggested, you need interchangeable backs and finders, you can put together a 645 kit at a bargain price. You can replace the standard screen with a brighter screen with split image if you need it. I'm not doing enough jobs that require medium format to justify moving up to one of the older 645 models. The pair of 645Es and lenses are enough for what I do. One note, the 645E and most of the 645 series have electronic shutters. Only the earliest models have mechanical shutters. I could only justify the 645 Pro if my cameras got heavy use.</p>

<p>If you want to move forward from 135 format, 645 is half way, no matter of camera. I would recommend to look for 6x7 or 6x9. In 6x7 format you could find number of choices, and frame size will blow 645 away. Unless you want to keep weight of your gadgets to the minimum, and still want to have SLR, in my opinion there is no sense to enter MF with 645.<br>

--Sergei</p>

<p>6x7 is great but no SLR system is better than borderline portable with a couple of lenses and backs.If Frank's shooting is all or mostly studio-based, then 6x7 makes sense. However, if he's on the move, 645 makes more sense and doesn't give that much away to 6x7 with careful handling. With MF prices plummeting, Frank could likely pick-up a 6x7 kit if he finds 645 inadequate.</p>

<p>Thanks to all for you valuable input regarding MF in general. I'm going to keep reading posts and studying and pick up something soon. I should have have stated that I'm just curious about MF, I'm a people and outdoors type of picture maker and with everything so cheap I want to do something I couldn't afford 5 years ago but can do so now.</p>

<p>Frank, I have the RB67 Pro-S, and as of yesterday. a M645 Pro. Both are great cameras. To me, both can be handheld. I would get the grip holder for either one. If you do a great deal of tripod shooting. Then, the RB is a better choice. The M645 in vertical format on a tripod, is more difficult. Similiar to using a 35 SLR on a tripod. The 645 Pro is a better camera than the 645E. It will allow you to grow with it, with more asscesories available. <br>

KEH.com has a M645E with 120 insert and it's standard viewfinder in EX. condition for $265.00. That's with no lens. They have a M645 Pro, body only in EX condition, for $109.00. As, I mentioned in an earler post, I got a Pro complete with lens, 120 back, but with a non AE prism finder. For their 645E with no lens. The pro came with a rangefinder/ micro-prism focusing screen.</p>

<p>I think you could do better for around the same money. After using the old metal M645 and 1000s bodies for several years, I was looking to "upgrade" and handled a 645E for about 20 seconds... before<em> </em>I put it back down in a hurry before it crumpled in my hands. At least that's what it felt like it was about to do, because without doubt the 645E is one of the flimsiest feeling cameras I have ever held. I still have my old M645s, and they show no sign of breaking down on me. OTOH, the 2 Mamiya Super bodies that I eventually bought seem to take it in turns to break down and go in for repair.<br>

Personally, I think the WLF is a complete waste (pardon the pun) of time, because it limits you to the landscape format. In the very situation where a WLF would be useful, when taking portraits from a tripod, the camera orientation is completely wrong.<br>

If you don't need interchangeable backs, get a Mamiya 1000s with an AE prism finder, or look at a Pentax 645 if weight's an issue. Interchangable backs are nice to have, but the magazines and inserts cost about the same as you'd pay for a complete M645 body these days. Just check the state of the foam light seals before you buy an old M645, J or 1000s.<br>

Secondhand Super and Pro bodies can be got quite cheaply as well, but you'll need the AE prism finder to make the most of either of these two models. And watch you don't get stuck with a 220 insert, there's hardly any film available in 220 rolls these days.</p>

<p>Personally. i find the non AE prism finders work very well. Nothing beats a handheld light meter. My Sekonic Spot/ Incident meter, I wouldn't sell for anything. Also, having used a RB, I wish Mamiya had made the 645 as a RB645. They made it to function like a bigger 35. And, the revolving back would have made the camera bigger. But, A revolving back with a waistlevel finder, is so much easier. Especially on a tripod. Shooting for a vertical picture is why 6x6 SLRs and TLRs are so popular. A person could always buy an eye level prism for that RB645!</p>