Second shooter question about prints

buffdr_rasouliyan

<p>I got a call from another photographer the day before he was to shoot a big wedding. He asked me to help cover the event. I did not have anything booked so I thought I would help. The event went great and before I left, the main shooter and I both agreed it would be easier for me to simply upload my images to my site and he would then download what he wanted. Easy enough right? The gallery was password protected too. I emailed the main shooter and his wife with the password and apparently his wife sent the info to the entire wedding party! Next thing I know I have over 320.00 in sales! What should I do? Should I give him the money? I'm not even sure if he knows! This has never happened to me! Funny, the more I write about this the more I realize that all the money does belong to him since it was his shoot and his clients. What would you do?<br /> BTW before I agreed to shoot the wedding, he offered a 400.00 for helping him which he did pay. v/r Raz</p>

<p>I would make him aware and ask what he thinks would be fair, while being fully prepared to give him the whole amount. Less your cost, which for me is a portion of the gallery's anuall fee and the time to upload and set up the gallery.</p>

<p>If they sent the gallery info out, it would appear he is fine with your making sales from it. I would be.</p>

<p>Online sales is usually how I justify to myself, why I hire a second shooter to assist, even when the couple does not pay for an additional photographer. I would definitely inform him of the sales and be prepared to relinquish part of the profit. I am sure he will compensate you for your efforts. It seems like this guy is legit and your honesty may led to a great relationship between the two of you. </p>

<p>I think since you agreed to a fee up front, which he paid you, you cannot ethically accept any further revenue. This was not part of the original agreement, and the only reason this happened is because his wife slipped up - either poor communication between the two of you, or between him and his wife, or just a mistake she made. But, since this has happened, I would call him and discuss it - I am sure you could come to an agreement whereby you get a small portion of the profit, but this would be totally up to him and I wouldn't push for this if I were you.<br>

As George said above, it will be in your interests to build a good relationship with this guy.</p>

<p>After I uploaded the post, I emailed him and his wife to let them know. I have come to terms with it and if he states you can keep it, I will give him a nice gift card worth 90% of the entire sales. I think he has been very kind with me and did pay me for my services already. I can't ruin that by taking advantage of him. If they respond fast enough to my email, I will post their answer. Thanks a bunch. v/r Raz</p>

<p>Well I got a response from the wife; she stated she made the mistake and understands that it had nothing to do with me. She said she will let her husband know and <em>she </em> is sure he would be ok with keeping the profits. I replied back that although her decision was very generous, I would be returning the money. Bottom line is they were contracted to make money from the shoot not me. I'm not sure what he charged his client but when you give 400.00 and 320.00 to someone else, what kind of profits are you really making? I feel the 400.00 is ample for my work as the wedding was very short and I turned over little over 360 pictures. Actual time at the location was less than 2 hours. I have made the decision and in my heart I know it's the RIGHT one. Thanks for the feedback. v/r Raz</p>