Sigma 20mm f/1.8 f1.8 EX DG RF ASPHERICAL

perry_cas

<p>I recently bought a 5d and am thinking about 'what wide'? the sigma 20mm f1.8 looks interesting, but I havent been able to find much in the way of reviews so was wondering if anyone had any experience with it, or any other recommendations in this size or a bit wider from any of the other manufacturers in this price range. I am not much of zoom fan, I do prefer primes having had nothing but a lack of satisfaction from the zoom i have used in the past.<br>

Thanks<br>

Perry</p>

<h1 ><br /></h1>

<p>Hi Perry, I own the Sigma 20mm f/1.8 EX, etc., etc. I'd put it this way: It's a "good" but not "great" lens. However, for the money, I'd call it a very good deal. Wide open, at f/1.8, as expected, it's a bit soft. But at least you can get the shots in very low light. It can focus very close to its subject (about 8 inches), it's reasonably well-built and comes with a very nice lens case - not just a pouch.</p>

<p>Some of the negatives, in my humble opinion, are: I'm not a big fan of Sigma's push-pull clutch mechanism to select autofocus, which is further confused by a second autofocus on/off switch. Once, not long after buying mine, the autofocus died with a horrible noise - which may have been my own fault by selecting the wrong combination between that push-pull clutch and the autofocus switch. However, I sent it to Sigma, they repaired it for free and returned it promptly and I've had no problems since. One other negative is the huge, screw-on filter size (82mm) and it does not have the Sigma equivalent of USM.</p>

<p>All that said, I've kept mine for 6 or 7 years now and for certain situations (primarily low-light) it does very well. If you stop it down around to f/3.5 to f/4 or so things sharpen up nicely but still, the wide-open shots are often quite useable and it has pleasing bokeh. The Canon 20mm f/2.8 is $424 at B&H while the Sigma is a bit cheaper at $399 - and while I've never compared their image quality side-by-side, I'd guess they're close and the Canon's not quite as fast - unless you make the jump to the EF 24mm f/1.4 L, which will be many times the cost. So, all things considered, I give my Sigma 20mm 2 thumbs up while realizing it's not perfect but a very good deal for the money. Hope that helps!</p>

<p> </p>