Unicolor Drum Processing for 4X5

mitchell_abate

Colonial Photo 407-841-1485 had a bunch of them a couple of months ago. Ask for Chuck or Pat.

If the rubber inner gasket is worn/compressed a replacement plastic still might not make a good seal. I've heard of the inner gasket being replaced with a truck oil-filter gasket but I don't know the particulars.

Mitchell,

I've been using the same as you for many years. I believe it's the best processing system ever. Never a streak, scratch or uneven neg.

My unit came with 2 plastic gaskets. I've seen these at camera shows. Since this unit is no longer manufactured, this would be the way to go. Perhaps you could make one from rubber sheeting. The perfect place to obtain this is at most any printing company. Ask them for a worn out "press blanket". Printers just throw then out when it's no longer good enough for printing purposes. But it would still be fine to cut into a gasket for your drum.

Good luck - let me know how it goes.

-S.

Just a question about Unicolor drum and its motorized base : where is it possible to buy them ? I've never seen a used Unicolor or base for sale in France, and I don't see these products on US web sites (I checked Calumet, Badger...). I've only seen the description of a base on the Beseler's site.

Are they avalaible new, and where, or only used ?

Only used - no longer made (and they were made in the US). They come up on ebay all the time, for usually very good prices (just go to the root photo section and search for unicolor) - quite often, although old, there a new-in-box ones sold. So if you can find someone who will ship to France

info on using, at the LF site:

http://192.147.236.3/~lfgroup/unicolor/

Thank's, Tim (and others who responded by mail, I can't answer, all my recent mail have been destroyed by a virus).

Would it be possible to use other drums (e.g. Jobo, to process my 8x10 negs) if it was possible to get a base, or have Unicolor something special, apart from price ?

The Unicolor drums have quite a few internal ridges which prevent the film from contacting the drum wall; this lets solutions get around to the base side of the film and remove/decolorize various dyes. Many other drums either don't have any ridges at all or don't have enough (Jobo print drums).

I am using some old Ilford drums. They are smooth on the inside and designed for 8x10 paper. I went to the local hobby store and got some plastic strips. I made guides for the edges of the film and an extra ridge to keep the back of the film off the drum to allow for circulation behind the film. It has worked very well.

I use Unicolor drums and a reversing roller to develop all my 8x10 and 8x20 B&W film. I use Unicolor 8x10 and16x20 drums, respectively. This system is terrific. As mentioned above, the ridges inside the drums allow solutions to reach the back of the film and I get even development (even with Pyro and Pyrocat developers) and complete removal of anti-halation dyes. Removal of the later is always a problem with smooth sided tubes like BTZS if loaded dry.

I bought everything on Ebay for very little money. Especially compared to JOBO systems!