AF Microadjust

Marvin

<p>The 50D has a function called AF Microadjust to "perfect" the AF for each of your lenses. Has anyone found this useful or necessary? I'd like to try it but the instructions in the 50D manual isn't specific enough to give me the confidence to actually do it. I don't think that my 50D is focusing well and I don't trust Canon to get it right.</p>

<p>Martin,</p>

<p>before worrying about how to microadjust your gear or sending it to Canon, you <em>really need to establish that there is a problem</em> .</p>

<p>You might also want to use the <a href="../search/?cx=000753226439295166877%3A0gyn0h9z85o&cof=FORID%3A11&ie=UTF-8&section=all&q=af+microadjust&filter=0&sa.x=16&sa.y=11&sa=Search#1336">Search</a> ...</p>

<p>It is there to fix a problem if a lens or lenses are focusing before or behind subjects. With Nikon, it a lens by lens adjustment. Don`t know about Canon.</p>

<p>All it does is make a lens or lenses focus a little closer or further back by applying an offset. If you don`t have a problem, there is no need to adjust. If only one lens missfocuses and there are not adjustments for individual lenses, do not touch. </p>

<p>My point is - After using all of my lenses I don't believe that the focusing is nearly as good as it should be. In <em><strong>real life</strong></em> shooting I'm not sure that it is, the camera, lens, or the combination of both, that leads to less than perfect focus. Then, there is always the possiblity that is my inability to get it right. I would like to make sure that there isn't a problem with the equipment. If the equipment is working right then I woould take greater pains with getting my own technique to be better. Right now I'm doing the best that I know how - but I suppose that there is always room for improvement.</p>

<p>I have some of the same questions. I have not done any tests yet, still getting use to the new camera and busy with the Holidays. On my 5D MkII it does allow adjustments for multiple lenses as well as all lens adjustment.</p>

<p>I did find this site when searching for discussions on adjusting the AF, it seems like its not a bad approach. I think the key is getting a good target that is consistently 45deg from the scale. After that you would dial in the focus by taking shots and examining each to see where the optimum focus is at and then adjusting the camera accordingly. Decent instructions at the site. But, like you I don't want to mess it up so I'm waiting until I have some time to do it with out distractions and with some thick paper for the target. My plan is not necessarily to do the adjustments, but to test the lenses and see where its at right now. If its off then I'll look into adjusting them...</p>

<p><a href="http://www.hkdotnet.com/FrancisPhotographyChannel/AF_Test/">http://www.hkdotnet.com/FrancisPhotographyChannel/AF_Test/</a></p>

<p>Anyone actually do adjustments?</p>

<p>AF Microadjust will not help random misses, shallow DOF problems or AF points latching onto the wrong subject. It will only help when a lens consistently overshoots (back-focus) or undershoots (front-focus) where the AF point has locked. Often this problem appears under a very specific condition, e.g., wide open at 1 meter. So you need to isolate the exact problem before you start crankin' on the adjustments.</p>

<p>I was actually looking forward to using this feature on my 50D but none of my current lenses suffer back- or front-focus problems. Maybe someday...</p>

Sometimes the light’s all shining on me. Other times I can barely see.

- Robert Hunter

<p>As Puppy Face says, Microadjust is intended to deal with consistent front- or back-focus, not a camera that <em>you think</em> - <em>maybe</em> - <em>might</em> not be focusing properly.</p>

<p>I'll say it again - do some testing and establish whether there's a problem; and if there is, whether it's the camera, the lens or the shooter. No offence, but the vast majority of AF "issues" can be laid at the feet of the photographer.</p>

<p>Hi Marvin,<br>

I looked through your galleries - great stuff! Some very, very nice photos in perfect focus. So I don't think it's your technique. I have a 24-70 f2.8 L that was definitely front focusing just a hair. I used the instructions in the manual (a bit kludgey in practice), to micro-adjust just this lens. Voila! It works perfectly now. I'm very pleased to say the least. The 50D will "remember" the settings for that particular lens until the internal battery gives out. And by that time, I'll probably be in another camera anyway. ;-)</p>

<p>I've used this and currently have most of my lenses set with some points back or forward. When using my 70-200 L/4.0 on my 50d I had to set it 20 points to teh left to compensate for the huge backfocus. On the 5d2 only about 5 points did the trick so seems like maybe both the body and teh lens have something to do with it. When shooting the 70-200 and focusing on peoples eyes the focus would always be spot on the ears or middle of the neck.</p>

<p>AF microadjust is designed to compensate for both individual lenses and/or misfocus caused by the body (AF sensor alignment). It's my understanding this system is identical on the 50D and 5D2.<br>

I have found focus testing to be very difficult, and misleading if not done with lots of skepticism and averaged over a lot of exposures.</p>

• 1 year later...

<p>My 50D required '+10' adjustment with the Canon 17-55mm F/2.8, and '+15' with my Canon 85mm f/1.8. With the 17-55, I wondered which was wrong: the lens; the camera; or me. When I bought the 85mm I could see instantly that it, too, needed adjustment.<br>

Guidance anyone? Should I send all three back to Canon for callibration? </p>