Aperture, elements, photoshop...?

<p>I am a pro freelancer doing newspaper and magazine work. I am using a loaner Dell with Photomechanic and CS2 on xp pro. The loaner has been a good (and free) computer, but it is time to get a proper machine. I am thinking Macbook Pro.<br>

My workfow is this...a first edit and batch caption in Photomechanic, import and second edit in CS2, caption, transmit and move on with life. I do no printing at home and rarely print work images.<br>

The question is this...In CS2, I am using only about 5 or 6 tools. Levels, curves, lasso, USM, spotting as needed. Can a cheaper program like Elements or Aperture do these things for me? A $700 program on a $2000 computer seems obscene to me. I tried to downlaod the free elements trial to no avail. Because the Dell is borrowed, I do not have admin priv to download programs.<br>

One of main concerns is file info. Photomechanic lets me batch caption, then I load in specific captions in CS2. Does Elements or Aperture let me access this info as well?<br>

I appreciate your thought. Thanks.</p>

<p>I also use Photomechanic & its nasty fast. & then i go into Lightroom & CS4 if i need to. I bet Lightroom would do ya just fine,but you wont be able to view & start working on the images while they load as in Photomechanic. I'm on a Macbook Pro , but since you are used to a PC here is another thought.</p>

<p>Digitalpro 5 ....Its fast like photomechanic & you could probably get away with elements. Here is a link to Moose peterson's site with some previews of it in action....& you could get a Dell at a good price</p>

<p><a href="http://www.moosepeterson.com/digitalpro/tutorials.html">http://www.moosepeterson.com/digitalpro/tutorials.html</a></p>